September 17, 2021, 05:39:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made my first Ring Trap  (Read 43985 times)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »

Ok I am almost done making 18 traps. I just received my bungee cord for my snoops and attaching them now. But I tried to cut the floats and they are much harder then I expected. Started off with a box cutter but the blade is to short. Then a knife but did not work well. Then a key hole saw for dry wall. Cuts but way to hard to cut 1 small piece. Thinking to use a sawzall with a fine tooth blade. Wondering what you guys cut your bullet floats with?

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2021, 02:35:52 PM »

Ok I am almost done making 18 traps. I just received my bungee cord for my snoops and attaching them now. But I tried to cut the floats and they are much harder then I expected. Started off with a box cutter but the blade is to short. Then a knife but did not work well. Then a key hole saw for dry wall. Cuts but way to hard to cut 1 small piece. Thinking to use a sawzall with a fine tooth blade. Wondering what you guys cut your bullet floats with?
INDOE :
  I used a hacksaw but it was not easy, you have got to take your time  but it worked for me. I think that I am going to buy the smaller pill type floats already the size that I want, just make sure that the float will support your gear under the water otherwise you will lose tour net ring,., just saying.

Bobby G
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:37:16 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2021, 04:21:11 PM »

I have 15ft of rope on mine. I will adjust the rope to the water depth im crabbing.

CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »

Indoe, I used a sawzall with a fine blade and it worked fine. Take your time and make sure you have the float clamped down so your saw does not walk and give you a crooked cut. I cut mine a little wider than The Perfectionist so I could locate them from a farther distance. I space my rings farther apart than the average crabber. Believe me when there is a chop on the water or fog you will be glad you did. The only drawback is you have to pack them a little neater when placing in the storage bag. Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:17:28 PM by Steve » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2021, 02:47:32 PM »

Im finally finished my first ring trap. Frank I am using a sawzal with a fine tooth metal blade. I need to find something to hold the float better. Still not easy but better then before. I actually cut my first float smaller so they would stack better at 1 1/2". But I think Im going to cut the other ones the size perfectionist makes his.

CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »

Looks great Indoe! Now all you have to do is start crabbing and work out any small descrepancies that you think need tending.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 04:44:21 PM by CrabbyFrank » Logged
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »

Nice looking Net Ring .

Bobby G   BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2021, 05:51:45 PM »

Thanks guys. I am hoping they all work fine and dont need any adjustments.  laugh But we never know until we try.

flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2021, 10:14:38 PM »

i can see now the crabs are going on the endangered list where you are at.good looking nets
flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »

Im finally finished my first ring trap. Frank I am using a sawzal with a fine tooth metal blade. I need to find something to hold the float better. Still not easy but better then before. I actually cut my first float smaller so they would stack better at 1 1/2". But I think Im going to cut the other ones the size perfectionist makes his.

what size are the dowel rods for your bridle what kind of wood
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:18:54 PM by Steve » Logged

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2021, 07:37:16 PM »

My dowels are 1 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long. Dipped twice in a wood stain i had left over from when I did my fence.

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2021, 07:41:35 PM »

I can not wait until the season starts so I can try them out. Traps are heavy when I have to carry them around my house and take up so much room in my small boat. This should save space and make it easier on me. I hope it catches more crabs as well. Hope this makes my life easier. Spending a lot of time making them.

on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2021, 09:56:06 PM »

They do take way less room...I had a myriad of old traps on my 21cc that I left in the front hold and that worked 'ok', but then I went topless and they took up too much room to keep on the boat...These rings DO work just as good if not better and IF you move a lot/some on the water, they are waaaaay easier...Yeh, they take some time to build, but in the end worth it, imo...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »

down here in  MS. they are catching the [Sam Hill] out crabs now a couple mile offshore.but we can't use ring traps out on the open water.so i'm going to have to wait till the water warms up and the crabs move to shallow water.   over 80 bushel came in two days ago that's 4 boats running traps
tom on the rocks

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2021, 01:55:05 PM »

indoe, we've been using these traps that my son made as you are doing now for over 5 yrs all other types of traps sit on the shelf probably never to be used again at least not by us. here is the problem, the first time use loose one you will want to cry, and if some one else is at fault you will want to kill them. 2thumbsup 

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2021, 04:01:20 PM »

indoe, we've been using these traps that my son made as you are doing now for over 5 yrs all other types of traps sit on the shelf probably never to be used again at least not by us. here is the problem, the first time use loose one you will want to cry, and if some one else is at fault you will want to kill them. 2thumbsup 

I don't think I will cry but Im sure I will not be happy. Im only done making 20 nets and have enough string to make 5 or 6 more. I will have to get more string soon. Hoping to have close to 40 traps made by the time the season starts. That way if I loose a few I have back up to use.

flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »

I don't think I will cry but Im sure I will not be happy. Im only done making 20 nets and have enough string to make 5 or 6 more. I will have to get more string soon. Hoping to have close to 40 traps made by the time the season starts. That way if I loose a few I have back up to use.
                                     how many nets you get with 1 pound my guess is about 14 crabbing machines
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2021, 07:07:49 PM »

how many nets you get with 1 pound my guess is about 14 crabbing machines

I am getting 12 or 13 nets per roll.

flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »

I am getting 12 or 13 nets per roll.
                                           i'm getting 9-10 the way i do mind. depending who i get the twine from. i do 28 headers-5 knot rows 1 widener row-4 more rows- 1 widener row and than 3 more rows    start with 28 meshes finish with 42 meshes that's 14 knot rows
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2021, 01:14:16 PM »

I can not wait until the season starts so I can try them out. Traps are heavy when I have to carry them around my house and take up so much room in my small boat. This should save space and make it easier on me. I hope it catches more crabs as well. Hope this makes my life easier. Spending a lot of time making them.

There are 30 ring traps baited with floats and line behind my seat in this picture.  Weight and space are major considerations for kayak crabbing.

There's no place like roam!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home