September 17, 2021, 06:56:28 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made my first Ring Trap  (Read 43987 times)
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

9" NOT my biggest, Rest are mounted and on display

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »

Do you start at the small ring and weave expansion to the large ring, and then weave from the small ring to the center?  It looks like it is tied on the small ring but just slipped through the large ring.

You make the whole net first then insert the rings.

I always tell myself "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid.

Crab Ring Nets made by Perfectionist
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 09:18:29 PM »

OK thanks Perfectionist. Grin
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 11:18:13 PM »

I made the small ring (bottom of net) out of 9 gauge and it was darn hard to use an expansion pin. I slipped the netting over the small ring, squeezed it shut and added a bit of JB weld where the pin would be. You can buy small rings that open, slip the net through and close it. I am figuring they will rust fast. I like making them out of 9 gauge.

Jim, thank you so much for your input. I will have to buy two more spools of #12.

I went to Mariner Point this afternoon and tried one of my traps. I placed it in shallow water about 30" and the dowel held the line off of the trap. I dropped it in 5' and it went straight down. I then threw it in a frisbe like fashion and the 2 oz. lead made it sink bottom first.

Just wait until you guys try to seam your net to complete the circle .... big headache!
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 02:03:22 AM »

I tie the bottom of the net together with the same string I make the net out of. You tie it temporarily. Then you tie your weight snug against that line. Then you draw the botton string up against the weight. That way your weights don't hang down. Using metal will rust and eventually tear your line.

Yes you can throw them like a frisbee. You can also throw them overhand a great distance. There's no need to pick the whole line up to go deeper or shallower. Just throw and go. That is what the weight is for. Without it the ring can turn upside down.

Seaming the sides is the enjoyable part for me. It's not complicated at all once you set your nails the right distance apart and place the net on the right loops on the nails when you begin.

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »

Jim:
I make  my nets with the rosette type set up and I use a 1- 1/2 " gauge which gives me a mesh that measures 1- 1/2 "  X 1- 1/2" I make 9 rows of meshes and the 9 th row is a double salve like you use for added strength.  My net needles  ( Shuttles )and gauges were bought about 25 years ago at Jenn's Netcraft but I will soon need to buy new ones as these are getting quite a workout. I can make a net in less than 3 hours from start of the rosette to the last knot about 270 knots in all. One rule of thumb is don't be in any hurry because if you make a mistake it will slow you down taking that knot apart. Watch every knot that it is going in just like you want it to with the loop closing over the two lines above it, if it is below the two strands then it is wrong. You use a little bit different method of making your net than I do but both ways will produce a great net. I never sold any of my nets and only made them for myself and I am satisfied with their results. Jim you make a fine net and I know how they work for you however I can't see you getting rich making and selling your fine nets    ( IT IS TOO TIME CONSUMING ) Keep up the good work and If I am on this side of the SOD come next season I hope to meet you friend ! Take care.

BGFISHHOOK1   AKA   BOB GIBERSON  Skipper of FISHHOOK1

P.S. I forgot to include that I start my rosette with 30 clove hitches weaved on the line and then tied with a square knot to bring the rosette together I am going to send a picture of a net that is almost complete except the last row.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:06:57 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

geezer

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »

Bob I would enjoy seeing photos of how you start.  Do start out with around 36-37 loops for a 20" wire hoop?
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »

Geezer

No I tie 30 clove hitches on a line of the same size of my net.
I have a rig that holds my main horizontal line that I am tying the clove hitches on to.
When I have 30 of them tied I slip them off of the gauge and then carefully tie the ends together with a square knot.
Now the rosette is made and ready to be mounted to your Spinner.
After you are ready to start you will have to join the two ends together to make ready for the first set of meshes.
Each time you complete one set of meshes you will join those two lines again and start the next row of meshes.
Row upon row you watch it grow until you have 9 rows of meshes.
STOP ON THE 9th row because now you will finish the net with a double selvedge of meshes ( Look at the illustration on Jim's picture)
Above all do not be in any hurry remember haste makes waste take your time because that is all that it takes to make nets.
The more you do it the better you will become at it it seems that when you start you will say I CAN'T DO THIS BUT BE ASSURED, YOU CAN AND YOU WILL BE GOOD AT IT. You had to crawl before you learned to walk and this is no different.
If I can be of further help just ask and I'll be there. Here is some pictures of how to do it.

BGFISHHOOK1 I  B  GON !
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:04:34 AM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 11:00:36 PM »

Bob thanks for taking the time to answer and the photos.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 02:08:06 AM »

Jim:
I make  my nets with the rosette type set up and I use a 1 & 11/16" gauge which gives me a mesh that measures 1 11/16"  X 1 / 11/16" I make 9 rows of meshes and the 9 th row is a double salve like you use for added strength.  My net needles  ( Shuttles )and gauges were bought about 25 years ago at Jenn's Netcraft but I will soon need to buy new ones as these are getting quite a workout. I can make a net in less than 3 hours from start of the rosette to the last knot about 270 knots in all. One rule of thumb is don't be in any hurry because if you make a mistake it will slow you down taking that knot apart. Watch every knot that it is going in just like you want it to with the loop closing over the two lines above it, if it is below the two strands then it is wrong. You use a little bit different method of making your net than I do but both ways will produce a great net. I never sold any of my nets and only made them for myself and I am satisfied with their results. Jim you make a fine net and I know how they work for you however I can't see you getting rich making and selling your fine nets    ( IT IS TOO TIME CONSUMING ) Keep up the good work and If I am on this side of the SOD come next season I hope to meet you friend ! Take care.

BGFISHHOOK1   AKA   BOB GIBERSON  Skipper of FISHHOOK1

P.S. I forgot to include that I start my rosette with 30 clove hitches weaved on the line and then tied with a square knot to bring the rosette together I am going to send a picture of a net that is almost complete except the last row.

Yeah, I do the chain method. I find it easier and faster doing it that way, at least for me. It takes about an hour to do each net. I use the 1 1/2" gauge and do 30 rows across plus 1 when tying the sides together and a total of 10 rows down counting the double row for the 18" ring. It's very time consuming but when I get the results from others it makes it all worth it. 

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 05:45:04 AM »

JIM:
I give credit where it is due and you certainly are due your credit.You are a craftsman short and simple, you make a quality product that you can be proud of when it is complete. Even though we both use a little different method the outcome is the very same. I admire you for explaining to others of the how to do this or that when making nets, I too do the same thing when asked questions. I used to make and sell my crab traps but now I only make them for myself. As I stated before I am gearing up for the upcoming crabbing season. I am making 30 collapsible traps and 30 crab net rings similar to the ones that you make, with me being retired I do not have to rush into anything I just take my time and do it right the first time.. I have made my share of  mistakes but the more that you do something the better you get at it.
I am looking forward to meeting you next season you are my lind of people. Take care.
Keep up the good work JIM and as I stated before DON'T LET THEM KNUCKLEHEADS GET YOU DOWN THEY ARE JUST JEALOUS OF YOUR TALENT !
BGFISHHOOK1  I  B  GON  !!!

Get it on !

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 05:53:11 AM »

Yeah, I do the chain method. I find it easier and faster doing it that way, at least for me. It takes about an hour to do each net. I use the 1 1/2" gauge and do 30 rows across plus 1 when tying the sides together and a total of 10 rows down counting the double row for the 18" ring. It's very time consuming but when I get the results from others it makes it all worth it.  

This is my net almost complete except the rings and lines.
BGFISHHOOK1  I  M  GON  !

Get it on !
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 03:57:57 PM »

Bob I would enjoy seeing photos of how you start.  Do start out with around 36-37 loops for a 20" wire hoop?
GEEZER:
I have some more pictures of how I start the rosette and mount it on the spinner device to start the net. I start my nets from the bottom and work my way to the top. Perfectionest uses the chain method of making his nets however the outcome is the same it is all a matter of ptrefence of how you decide to do it. I am going to post some pictures for you to look at.

BGFISHHOOK1  I  B  Gon !

P.S. These pictures are not in the correct sequence they should be
Picture #1 Start
Picture #2 first clove hitch
Picture #4 30 clove hitches
Picture#6 Gauge removed
Picture #5 Rosette joined
Picture #3 Rosette mounted ready to make the net

If you have a problem let me know and I will help you with it. Don't forget to tie the two ends together before you start to make the meshes, it must be the same size as the rest of the loops. Weave from left to right.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:28:55 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 04:26:24 PM »

Bob thanks for the reply and pictures. I'm nearly done with my first attempt.  Too bad I can't just send pictures from my phone.
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

Bob thanks for the reply and pictures. I'm nearly done with my first attempt.  Too bad I can't just send pictures from my phone.
Geezer :
You will make mistakes it goes with the territory, if you don't make mistakes then you are not working at it but do not get discouraged it will all fall into place with time besides what else could be more fun than to make your very own net?

Good Luck with it and keep me posted.

BGFISHHOOK1 Gon.

Get it on !
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »

What is the best way to attach bait to a ring trap?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:14:57 PM by geezer » Logged

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »

What is the best way to attach bait to a ting trap?
A lot of crabbers attach their bait on a snood but I prefer to tie it to a separate piece of cotton twine. Slip a piece of twine next to the egg sinker and tie a knot on it then place one or two CNs on the line and tie  it fast like you were tying your shoes, it will be easy to de-bait that way.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »

Thanks Bob, so you are saying you tie it with a bow like you do shoes?
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »

Thanks Bob, so you are saying you tie it with a bow like you do shoes?
Yes but I go through the knot twice it holds better. If you don't care about loosing some line tie it tight with a square knot then just cut it and start over with a new baiting line every time I like to use that baiting line over again until it gets too ragged then I replace it. Hope it works out for you.

BGFISHHOOK1  I  B  Gon !

Get it on !
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »

I finished my tenth trap! It's fantastic how they stack and take up so little room. Floats and line have not been added. I do have a question for Perfectionist. If my floats are an inch or two thicker than what you reccommend, will they float my trap away in a swift tide? I ask this question because sometimes I have a hard time seeing my floats when I go back to run the trapline again. I also run my traps further apart than most crabbers. This is why I like larger floats. What do you think? Sorry about the flopped photo!

Thanks, CrabbyFrank
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 02:25:18 AM »

Thickness of the floats has nothing to do with floating you rings away. On the other hand if they don't support your ring, it's gone. If I made mine thicker the rings wouldn't stack around in a circle right. There's not enough hang in the net for a float much bigger or thicker. You can't have to much hang or your rings will cross. If they cross when you pull the top ring over past the little ring that's not good. You have a 50/50 chance of the crab being in the ring or sitting on the outside of the ring. If he's on the outside of the ring he's gone when you pull. You've got to use the right gauge size with the right number of rows and columns along with the right ring sizes to keep those rings from crossing. I paint my floats fluorescent orange and don't have any problem seeing them. Below are some pictures. The 1st pic is with the top ring crossed over the bottom ring. Notice that the crab is on the outside of the net. You don't want this to happen. The 2nd pic shows the top ring pulled over towards the bottom ring. It does not cross over the bottom ring. That's what you want. The 3rd pic shows the rings stacked nice and neat.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home