April 22, 2024, 01:55:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made my first Ring Trap  (Read 91150 times)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2021, 10:03:32 PM »

There are 30 ring traps baited with floats and line behind my seat in this picture.  Weight and space are major considerations for kayak crabbing.

Those floats look pretty thin. How thick are they?

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2021, 07:53:46 AM »

They vary from 1" to 1 1/2". I am going to make bigger floats the next time.

There's no place like roam!
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »

I will need to make 5 more traps since I dont have enough tarred string left. I am thinking to make the last 5 out of braided mason string. I used it for my handlines in the past and it lasted for a few seasons and is strong. I have a feeling I will loose the trap before it falls apart. That way I can also see if there is a difference in catch as well.

CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2021, 07:44:15 PM »

Indoe, are you having any problems with your rings spinning when pulling or retrieving? Do any of you guys use a barrel swivel to stop the spin? If I am pulling straight up and the boat is not moving my spin is very minimal.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2021, 09:47:15 AM »

Frank this is going to be my first year using rings. I have used handlines and topless traps in the past. I am just trying to make my nets as close to perfection nets as possible. 1 thing with the swivel that might go wrong is it has to be big enough to attach the rope. So your float for your string will have to be larger to keep the string out of the net. I like the idea but don't know if it is necessary.

flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »

well i took a count on how many ring net i made up to today 110 ring nets mostly this winter.i done worked my fingers to the bone so i quit not making no more Shocked Shocked
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »

well i took a count on how many ring net i made up to today 110 ring nets mostly this winter.i done worked my fingers to the bone so i quit not making no more Shocked Shocked

What! 110 nets! I was having issues with my shoulder bothering me at 24 nets. So I haven't made any in a few weeks. I'm going to make 6 more then slowly make a few more here and there. I have enough tarred string to make 24 more. That should last me for the next 10 years.

CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »

Indoe, stay the course and your body and muscles will get used to the routine.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »

Indoe, stay the course and your body and muscles will get used to the routine.

I was trying to make the knots to tight and messing up my shoulder. Its not to bad when I dont make them as tight as I was at first.

SteveL
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2021, 04:41:34 PM »

Indoe, are you having any problems with your rings spinning when pulling or retrieving? Do any of you guys use a barrel swivel to stop the spin? If I am pulling straight up and the boat is not moving my spin is very minimal.

I used swivels for a while and then broke a swivel and lost a Perfectionist net ring.  I no longer use them, and I have never had any kind of problem with spin when retrieving the rings.  I like the simplicity of using the float/line/net ring--it is a solid and tangle free system.

CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2022, 03:32:39 PM »

SteveL, I think the slower you are moving when approaching the float the better. You will be able to pull the trap straight up. No boat movement might mean no spin. Just a thought.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

9" caught in a Perfectionist Crab Ring

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: March 08, 2022, 01:49:20 PM »

I use no swivels or any hardware on my rings. They just cause problems. As for the spin, you got the ring in your hand so just take a second and unspin it. It's that simple.

I always tell myself "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid.

Crab Ring Nets made by Perfectionist
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »

Perfectionist .... you are saying that a spin should be expected? I was trying to say if I approach at a rate of speed the trap will be pulled up on a horizontal plain and twirl. I get less of a spin the slower I approach and pull (straight up). I am finding that using the ring trap it makes me slow down and relax a little more. I am not complaining, was just wondering. Thanks for your reply .... love my rings compared to the traps. CF
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

9" caught in a Perfectionist Crab Ring

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2022, 11:45:19 PM »

It's just once in a while I'll get a few rings that have spun. I just figured it was from the wind that was spinning the float.
No big deal on rings but on metal traps when that happens your lines on your doors are getting shorter which means your doors aren't all the way open.
I drift up on each ring and pull them straight up. No horizontal pull. That's a no no for me.

I always tell myself "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid.

Crab Ring Nets made by Perfectionist
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2022, 11:59:40 AM »

Awhile back (quite awhile now that I think about it) I had rigged several traps with softlay line. (3 strand)  The lines would be wound up every pull. I finally realized the current was spinning the floats because of the 3 strand rope.  I switched everything to #8--1/4" loctite and fixed the spinning problem and the larger line is so much nicer on the hands.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 12:44:06 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

ranger521
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: April 07, 2022, 11:07:59 AM »

I tie my bridals (3strings tied to the ring) directly to the main pull line.  I use a hangman's noose on both  or that fisherman's knot that looks like a noose  i got rid of any metal ring in the pulling lines and no swivels as i have lost traps due to breakage in these areas. and since tying directly to lines I had no issues and I dont have any spinning what so ever when pulling traps into the boat.  I do use loctight #4  I know its thinner but i have less drag during high currents which i think may put less drag on my float don't know if that means anything or not but its what I went with and I am very happy with it.  I do put some tape around my index fingers so I don't get any irritation from pulling.  I really like my ring traps a lot and I do have a limit as to what depth I will crab usually 12 is the max for me but have been known to try 14 ft and I like 5-12 foot.  but that's me and everyone has their own limits.  I hope this helps someone out.  I am not a pro but this is what works for me.  And my little 7 yo boy pulls the traps no problem and he shows my other friends how to do it and he is 7.  I will post a pic if you need it.
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: April 07, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »

Every person finds gear and methods that work for them.  I got a lot of information and ideas from Arti0972, some I tweaked to suit me better, some I used just as he did and sometimes I created new ways that he adopted. Just find what works for you, you will always see other people doing things in different ways, use what works for you.

There's no place like roam!
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »

Logical 1, you nailed it. I practiced fast approach, slow approach and pulling at a dead stop. They all work, but the slow approach works best for me. I have removed all metal above my trap and that worked much better. Trial and error is best for the ring trap crabber. I am still very thankful to the Perfectionist for his help along the way. I really enjoy alternating from ring trap to metal box trap when I have time to spare. I catch more clams and catfish in the box trap and more double crabs in the rings. CF
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2023, 02:39:08 PM »

I am using swivel snaps on #5 loktite drop lines. I did this mostly because I prefer to remove the float and line when I'm done for the day and store the floats in a separate bag, and the snap clip makes that fast and easy. I'm using very heavy duty salt water swivel snaps:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QC2V6MP/?tag=bca1-20

I've only done this last season. So far none of the swivel snaps are rusty or damaged. I've tried to stay in the habit of giving each a tug and glance before I toss the ring net over. So far, no issues. I didn't do this due to any twisting or spinning of the trap though.

I am using a different ring net that is heavier than the perfectionist style ones (heavy duty but if I'm honest they weigh more than the need to).

Buggsy
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2023, 07:39:31 PM »

I am using swivel snaps on #5 loktite drop lines. I did this mostly because I prefer to remove the float and line when I'm done for the day and store the floats in a separate bag, and the snap clip makes that fast and easy. I'm using very heavy duty salt water swivel snaps:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QC2V6MP/?tag=bca1-20

So far none of the swivel snaps are rusty or damaged.

I like BIG floats and can't do that leaving the float attached...I DO have some with attached also...Did the same with topless..

I do the same...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home