October 20, 2021, 11:41:54 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made my first Ring Trap  (Read 45124 times)
Hardshell Tony

Anyone who has crabs lacks nothing.Crabs r enough

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »

Do not buy the Blue Hawk wire from Lowe's,it doesn't have the tensile strength.Luckily I only bought 1 roll and was able to use it for the inner ring.
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »

Do not buy the Blue Hawk wire from Lowe's,it doesn't have the tensile strength.Luckily I only bought 1 roll and was able to use it for the inner ring.
Is that 9 gauge?
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

9" caught in a Perfectionist Crab Ring

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »

You have to get the 9 Gauge galvanized wire from Home Depot. It has tension in it. All other brands of 9 gauge bend to easily. Click on the link to my webpage and you'll see a picture of it.

I always tell myself "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid.

Crab Ring Nets made by Perfectionist
Hardshell Tony

Anyone who has crabs lacks nothing.Crabs r enough

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »

Yes,but it's neither hardened or galvanized like the Hillman wire you get at Home Depot.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »

Exactly.

CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »

I have the rosette down. I went through a lot of trial and error. It might not be perfect, but it will definitely work. I place the finished net over a stool. This allows me to place the rings level and even with the correct mesh.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:08:49 PM by CrabbyFrank » Logged
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »

Nice job idea2
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

I have the rosette down. I went through a lot of trial and error. It might not be perfect, but it will definitely work. I place the finished net over a stool. This allows me to place the rings level and even with the correct mesh.
That is a nice looking net. I don't know why you think that it is not perfect, it looks fine to me. I do not use a ring for my rosette I tie directly on the same size twine that I am making the net with either way you will have the same outcome. I have one question for you, it appears that you are  using a metal ring for your rosette, and if I am right I hope that the ring is made from stainless steel otherwise if the ring is made from  galvanized steel it is going to rust and in time ruin your net. When I made nets tied onto a ring I used a nylon ring but have changed the way that I make the rosette now, it is faster for me to tie the clove hitches directly on the twine and after I have 30 of them tied I join the two ends to close it and make the rosette complete. It took me awhile to figure out that I could do it this way but in the end it is much faster for me to make the rosette this way, practice and more practice is all that it takes. Good luck on a fine looking job for sure remember this, the more you do the better they will look and your example is first rate as far as I am concerned!! laugh laugh Grin Grin

BGFISHHOOK1    N  I  M  gon  !

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »

Twenty-five done and working on the last five. Crewstation was right, the weaving and assembling has gotten much easier!
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »

Way to go, great job. I guess you know how much that is going to hurt if you ever lose one. Make those ropes long enough now. LOL.

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 09:17:39 PM »

Way to go, great job. I guess you know how much that is going to hurt if you ever lose one. Make those ropes long enough now. LOL.
RICK:

That is a little like one day I was fishing at Octorara Lake and this guy had just parked his car and was walking down the road just as I was coming up out of the rip rap with 6 nice 14" crappie slabs. He says to me boy you done alright! I told him that I fished all day and only kept the 6 that I had on the stringer but I threw about 35 or 40 back in the water, he was astounded and asked me if I knew how to rig up a slip bobber and I said yes I do come on up to my truck and I'll show you how to do it. After he was rigged up I walked down the road with him and he was about to go down to the water and try his luck when I told him to hold out his hand and I dropped about a dozen or so Shad Darts into his hand. I said those two shad darts that I rigged up for you ( which were my darts ) I am going to tell you how they will last you all day long ! Well all of the guys that were fishing who knew me turned and listened to my answer. I looked him in the eye and said "" DON'T THROW THEM IN THE WATER BECAUSE IF YOU DO THEY ARE GONE ! The same thing apply's to those Crab Net Rings if you don't want to loose them keep them on your boat but they won't catch many crabs in your boat. That fisherman was from Reading Pa and I gave him the 6 Crappies that I caught that day, he tried to refuse my offer until I told him that I am a seasoned Crappie fisherman and I know that you are not going to catch any Crappie today so take my catch and enjoy them. I never saw him again after that day and I could be found at that Lake at least 4 days a week. You can take this story to the bank it is a true story and I'll tell you why I HATE A LIAR OR A BULLSHITTER AND I AM NEITHER ONE! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked

BGFISHHOOK1    AKA   BOB GIBERSON

Get it on !
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »

Huh?   Huh Huh Huh Huh

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Seanile
In Memoriam 06/2021
Lifetime Member

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2017, 12:32:39 AM »

BG, I often wondered how the fishing was at Octoraro - now I know.

Were you bank fishing or do you launch a boat?

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »

Fishing at Octorara was really great then about 12 years ago the water company done some work at the water company and they dropped the water about 6 feet and when that happened the fish followed the current and ended up below Conowingo dam. the fish that stayed there were very few and the the guy who ran the boat rentals and tackle shop done the worst thing for that lake he stocked Walleyes and Bass which was good but when he stocked 95 Muskies in the lake they grew really fast and no wonder they were feeding on the crappies and anything else that they could. I used to fish that body of water really hard with a dear friend who has since passed away. I could easily catch my limit of Crappie there but I only ever once took 50 Crappies home with me. More often than not I would not keep a single crappie, if someone wanted a mess of fish I would gladly catch them for them and sometimes I even filleted them for them. I knew all of the hot spots there and I used to keep my 13 foot Herter's fiberglass boat at the lake all summer long. one day I was approaching the launch after a day of fishing and the guy that ran the boat rental and bait shop was in his truck on the road, he stopped and asked me how I did, without thinking I said I " CAUGHT " 69 crappies then in the next issue of The Fisherman Magazine there it was. BIG MISTAKE, guys were coming from Delaware and Reading to fish there. I really didn't care because there were lots of places to fish there the main problem was there was no place for me to park, I never made that mistake again. If I want to catch Crappie I drive over to Honeybrook and fish The Robert G Struble Lake. How about this The Crappie is the only fish that I cannot eat my body built up an intolerance to them and my Doctor told me that I could eat them if I took Benadryl after eating them, no thanks there are too many other fish that I can eat. I will post some pictures of some of those fish that I caught there if you are interested. Here is a few pictures of fish caught in hard water at Struble Lake .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:31:30 AM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »

Seanile:

I suppose I answered your question but I will expand on it a little better. I fished the lake from the rip rap all winter long until the lake was open to boats on May the 1st until October 30th. Those dates has since changed to April 1st to October 30th.  I took my boat to the lake and left it there paid by the month and fished all summer from my boat. The fish that were caught there are really good to eat and there is a lot of species of mostly pan fish there. I gave more fish away than I kept for myself and most days I never kept a single fish. Sometime if you are in the mood to catch some Crappie let me know and I'll take you to Struble and we will fish for Black Crappie, the treat will be on me!

BGFISHHOOK1

P.S. Octorara Lake was noted for the White Crappie and the largest that I caught there was a 16.5 incher.
    Struble was noted for the Black Crappie until a few years ago the Fish & Boat Comm put the White Crappie in that lake.
Black Crappie are a bigger fish than the White Crappie. Blacks have heavier " Shoulders " on them.

Get it on !

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »

Fishing at Octorara was really great then about 12 years ago the water company done some work at the water company and they dropped the water about 6 feet and when that happened the fish followed the current and ended up below Conowingo dam. the fish that stayed there were very few and the the guy who ran the boat rentals and tackle shop done the worst thing for that lake he stocked Walleyes and Bass which was good but when he stocked 95 Muskies in the lake they grew really fast and no wonder they were feeding on the crappies and anything else that they could. I used to fish that body of water really hard with a dear friend who has since passed away. I could easily catch my limit of Crappie there but I only ever once took 50 Crappies home with me. More often than not I would not keep a single crappie, if someone wanted a mess of fish I would gladly catch them for them and sometimes I even filleted them for them. I knew all of the hot spots there and I used to keep my 13 foot Herter's fiberglass boat at the lake all summer long. one day I was approaching the launch after a day of fishing and the guy that ran the boat rental and bait shop was in his truck on the road, he stopped and asked me how I did, without thinking I said I " CAUGHT " 69 crappies then in the next issue of The Fisherman Magazine there it was. BIG MISTAKE, guys were coming from Delaware and Reading to fish there. I really didn't care because there were lots of places to fish there the main problem was there was no place for me to park, I never made that mistake again. If I want to catch Crappie I drive over to Honeybrook and fish The Robert G Struble Lake. How about this The Crappie is the only fish that I cannot eat my body built up an intolerance to them and my Doctor told me that I could eat them if I took Benadryl after eating them, no thanks there are too many other fish that I can eat. I will post some pictures of some of those fish that I caught there if you are interested. Here is a few pictures of fish caught in hard water at Struble Lake .
I used to Goose/Duck hunt Struble.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2017, 02:50:24 AM »

Twenty-five done and working on the last five. Crewstation was right, the weaving and assembling has gotten much easier!

Looking good. A little rough on the fingers but well worth it. I just finished net number 1,251 and way more to go. As long as your float supports your ring you won't lose any. As for your main line I only leave 2 extra feet out than the depth of the water I'm crabbing in. No point pulling all that extra line especially if you're one of the ones that like the ring behind the boat when you pull.

CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »

1251!  I am sure you have one heck of a set up. I should say assembly line. Do you have a set up to bend your wires perfectly round? I use a bar stool. I am going to buy a dozen bullet floats and cut them to the size that you specified on your supply list. It makes sense to only allow two extra feet of line when the trap is on the bottom. I see  your floats are notched and you wrap and pinch off the extra line. On open top traps I am guilty of pulling the trap behind the boat. This is the reason I am going to the ring trap. I believe it is about 1/5 the weight of a box trap. Jim, thank you very much for your help. I first thought $30 was a bit much for one of your traps. My first trap had taken me four hours to complete. I have since cut it down to 1 1/2 hours and must say that your price is very reasonable. And yes, my hands are raw and calloused over, but this has been one enjoyable experience.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 02:30:05 AM »

I just unbend the coil of wire slowly by hand until I have enough uncoiled for a ring. Then cut it, form it and make sure it lays flat. You should be able to get 5 floats out of each bullet float. 4 if you make them a little wider. If you cut slits in them to wrap up the excess line use a hacksaw blade not a handsaw. Yes the rings are way easier pulling through the water than the metal traps. Every time I take the metal traps to do the experiment again I'm cussing myself on the first one I pull. Total time for me to make a complete ring from start to finish is 2 1/2 hours. 1 hour and 15 minutes total time to make each net. 1 hour and 15 minutes for all the other steps. That includes cutting the bullet floats and finishing them, making egg sinkers, and those time consuming wooden dowels. You've got to cut them, drill the hole, sand one end down and finish that up with a file and then dip them in polyurethane 3 times. A lot of time and money in material for each one but very very well worth it. As for the hands you can imagine what mine look like.

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »

Jim:
You got me beat but then I only make Net Rings for myself. Yes I know what your hands look like mine look like that too. I have made and sold my metal traps they are not easy to make either but one thing can be said about a metal trap and that is when those doors slam shut he is there, I even had the crab on the outside of the trap and his claw was pinched in the door and he could not get away. I never had a problem with metal traps other than they do take up a lot of room. Metal Trap verses Net Ring there is no comparison the Net Ring has it over the metal one. I don't know for sure but I have a gut feeling that a crab will shy away from a metal trap where as the Net Ring it does not pose as much of a danger to him, besides the bait is better accessible to him???
Keep up the good work Jim I for one admire you and your talent because I've been there and done that, just like you !
You just can't beat QUALITY and that is what you are selling !

Get it on !

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home