August 04, 2020, 07:49:10 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late season crabbing advice  (Read 1455 times)
cstrop

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »

Hello!

Over the summer I moved near Parker's Creek of the Shrewsbury River.

I had a crab pot at a neighbors dock that produced about 6 crabs per day as long as I was keeping it baited and emptied.  That seemed to dry up about a month ago.

I'm assuming the cold weather/water is to blame, but I see all these awesome crabbing trip reports from the 'Sink and Shrews recently.  Do I need a boat at this time of year if I've still got a hunger for crabs?  Is deeper water the only thing I need to go back to catching them late in the season?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   Grin
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »

You guessed it. 

Crabs are fattening up for their long winter nap.   They move into deeper more temperature stable water. 

Rule of thumb is water temps in 50's signal the end is near.  Low 50's and down they go to bed in the deeper water til next spring.

So dockside, like scapping the bridges and docks will likely be very non productive this time of year

These 40 degree nights are driving the water temps down.  And its a matter of time.

Usually south NJ down by Ron is the last place to crab in NJ for the year.  And the first place to crab the new year.

Sorry.  Boats are needed this time of year.   Worth it.  But tougher conditions for the crabbers too.

Hello!

Over the summer I moved near Parker's Creek of the Shrewsbury River.

I had a crab pot at a neighbors dock that produced about 6 crabs per day as long as I was keeping it baited and emptied.  That seemed to dry up about a month ago.

I'm assuming the cold weather/water is to blame, but I see all these awesome crabbing trip reports from the 'Sink and Shrews recently.  Do I need a boat at this time of year if I've still got a hunger for crabs?  Is deeper water the only thing I need to go back to catching them late in the season?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   Grin

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
Barbarella

Any day is a crabbing day

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »

Phooey.  So much for my planned trip to that bridge over the creek.  Oh well May perhaps!!!
cstrop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:52:04 PM »

Crabs are fattening up for their long winter nap.   They move into deeper more temperature stable water. 

Rule of thumb is water temps in 50's signal the end is near.  Low 50's and down they go to bed in the deeper water til next spring.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice, my family and I plan on living here for awhile and I need a crash course of crabbing/fishing/clamming  (just moved back to NJ over the summer).

So is it a temperature thing, or a depth thing (or...are deeper waters warmer than surface water at this time of year, so it's a combo of both?)

Would I do alright at a depth of 10+ feet in Parkers Creek, or do I need to move out towards the "bay" area of the Shrewsbury regardless of depth?

riverpop
Banned

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »

Captain Franks analysis is excellent, crabs behave the way he explained, his mentioning of Ron- is Great Egg Harbor and its tributaries... the slightly warmer days, and the fast current into G.E.H (current generates heat) enables the longest crab season in New jersey... sometimes March- December...Whereas a normal Shrewsbury/ navasink season is may- november....  Excellent analysis Frank....  One Exception as far as Parkers Creek..If you have an extended  dry period late in the season, you can crab the bridge on ********* Ave.

riverpop
Banned

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »

Phooey.  So much for my planned trip to that bridge over the creek.  Oh well May perhaps!!!

Maybe not, salt levels way up- even after the 11-15 rainstorm...   set up there sat or sun for incoming tide... u should get some action

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home