February 24, 2018, 01:10:08 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Crab of 2017 - 1-1-17 Galveston Island  (Read 2023 times)
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »

I normally like to crab on December 31st so I can catch my last crab of the year and on New Year's Day to catch my first crab of the new year. This year, the weather did not cooperate on New Year's Eve. We had very heavy rain in the morning, hard enough to set off the alarm on my septic tank. No crabbing.

New Year's Day was better. I woke to a thick mist, but no rain. We decided to give it a try with some hand lines from shore. I got to the salt water pond about eight a.m. and set out several lines.  As my brother, BJFish, arrived at eight fifteen, I started to head back to the truck to help him with his dogs. As I passed one of the lines, the telltale tight line indicated that the first crab of the year was ready to come home with me. As I pulled the line the crabbed apparently saw me and let go of the line.  With great skill or luck, I stepped into the water and reached far out to land my first crab of 2017, eight hours and fifteen minutes into the year.

We ran the lines for another two hours with intermittent drizzle or light rain. We were catching a lot of very small crabs. We ended up with seven keepers with three over seven inches. We had about a dozen or so Jersey legals that went back for another day.

While not a feast, fresh crabs for supper on New Year's Day is a great way to start the year.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:41:33 PM »

Great catch there Craig and some cool pictures of where you were crabbing. Thanks for sharing your trip. No one up here in the northeast can say that we caught some crabs on New Years Day.  laugh laugh I did take some crab meat, that I had picked from the summer, out of the freezer and made some crab cakes last night so at least i had some crab meat to eat, but nothing like the fresh crabs you caught.
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »

Allright then, I been waitin for your new years report ,and there it is.  Nice goin!!  All we get to do is watch the ice start to form on the brackish canals laugh laugh  Enjoy Cheesy Cheesy
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »

May these be the first of thousands for you this year.  Thanks for the New Years Day report and wishing you and Brian a great year.  thumbsup

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »

I had a feeling you were going to crab on New Years Day and I'm glad to see you did. Thanks for your annual "New Years Day" trip and sharing your photos. Already looking forward to your next years New Year Day 2018 report too.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »

WTG, enjoy em

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

laugh laugh I did take some crab meat, that I had picked from the summer, out of the freezer and made some crab cakes last night so at least I had some crab meat to eat, but nothing like the fresh crabs you caught.

I took my wife and granddaughter to a local seafood restaurant, Floyd's on the Water, on New Year's Eve and had fried softshell crab. Just the second trip there, but the best softshell crabs ever.  They even beat my old favorite at the Red Snapper in Surfside.  They are much closer to my house, 15 minutes away versus 45 minutes.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
geezer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »

Craig thanks for the report, always appreciate the photos.
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 09:48:59 AM »

Congrats! 
Those are some nice lookin' crabs you've got there.
So, you beat me to your "first crab" of the year by probably at least five months... I'm jealous!
riverpop

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »

Congrats on the First Crab of 2017  Smiley

riverpop (gary B.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home