February 25, 2018, 10:47:08 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Proposed Defintion of Crab Net Ring  (Read 3890 times)
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

9" NOT my biggest, Rest are mounted and on display

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »

Jim, I wouldn't assume it's nonsense.  The more people that comment on the proposal, the better the chance that a mistake is not made in the wording.  BTW, how did you know it was a 34" ring?

?
rd, doesn't look to me like it would sit flat on the bottom, and could possibly trap crabs?Huh   and recs are more likely to lose a trap?Huh  who knows what they're thinkin'?

Just go to Ebay and type in danielson crab traps. It's this one Danielson CCP34 34in Conical Crab Trap and Harness.

I always tell myself "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid.

Crab Ring Nets made by Perfectionist
moecrabs

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 09:22:37 AM »

So you guys are saying that i won't be able to use these ring traps i got this year. Ha! Ha! just kidding.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »

Just received this personal response from DNR in reply to my original query:

Thank you for your comment!  We have received several comments about this and realize that we need a better definition.  The net ring that you describe will still be legal.  We are in the process of determining the best wording for this.  I will send it directly to you as soon as we get it approved.  Again, thanks for taking the time to comment!

Sincerely,
Tamara O'Connell
Legislative & Regulatory Review
Fishing and Boating Services
tamara.o'[email protected]

Maybe it pays to take the time to express your opinions after all!

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »

Following is my original e-mail that I sent to DNR, along with their (second) response.  The picture I sent was of a "perfectionist-style" ring trap.  Good news.

Mr. Higgins,

Thank you for taking the time to comment!  Yes, these traps are legal and will continue to be legal.  We will be clarifying the definition to include the bottom ring.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,
Tamara O'Connell
Legislative & Regulatory Review
Fishing & Boating Services

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Mike Higgins <[email protected]> wrote:

It has come to my attention that there is a proposed change to COMAR 08.02.03.01, Section B, Part (3) regarding the definition of a “Crab net ring”.

The current text reads, “Crab net ring” means netting supported by a ring-shaped rim less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter.

The proposed text reads, “Crab net ring” means netting supported by one ring-shaped rim less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter.

I have attached a photo of traps that I use.  They are based on traditional “crab net rings” that have been in use since I was a kid.

Does this change in wording mean that the traditional “crab net ring” with a ring-shaped rim (which supports the netting) that includes a smaller second ring (which helps gather the netting at the bottom of the trap) are no longer going to be legal for use in Maryland?   I would greatly appreciate any clarification you could give me on this matter.

If the change would render this type of trap illegal, please notify me of any public meeting discussing the change, where I would appreciate the opportunity to address my concerns.

Michael Higgins
DNR I.D.# 374947

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 11:03:58 AM »

The way this is going DNR has got their work cut out for them. They might have to show a picture of every style of ring out there that is legal as well as which ones are not going to be legal. They should have left it all alone.

Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »

That's what happens when the liberals insist on continuing to overregulate the little guy. Anything to collect a fine.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 01:00:53 AM »

Wonder if it's the 30" they're worried about or the shape of the ring. Either way it makes no sense. If it's the 30" you could still use the same shape ring in a smaller size. If it's the shape the crab can get out just as easily as he went in. That would be no different than tying the doors on the metal topless ones so that they don't fall down. Yes I've done that too. Crabs will go in it. That was the first part of an experiment of taking the trap and turning it into a so called miniature crab pot. Maybe they're just starting there so they can open Pandora's box. What next crab traps. That would be an easy one because the crab has no way of getting out once the trap is pulled. Then what, topless traps, auto dippers, clam bags, snoods. Where would it end. It would be nice to know what they are exactly trying to do away with and why.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home