December 14, 2018, 11:03:35 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Proposed Defintion of Crab Net Ring  (Read 5864 times)
Mikie

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »

Maryland DNR is proposing the definition below:

I wonder if this Proposal is going to affect the way ring traps are constructed?

Opportunity for Public Comment
Comments may be sent to Blue Crab Regulations, Regulatory Staff,
Department of Natural Resources Fishing and Boating Services, 580
Taylor Avenue, B-2, Annapolis, MD 21401, or call 410-260-8300, or
email to [email protected], or fax to 410-260-
8310. Comments will be accepted through February 21, 2017. A public
hearing will be held on February 6, 2017, at 5 p.m., at Tawes State Office
Building, 580 Taylor Avenue, Conference Room C-1, Annapolis, MD
.01 Crabbing Gear.
A. (text unchanged)
B. Recreational Gear—Definitions.
(1)—(2) (text unchanged)
(3) “Crab net ring” means netting supported by [a] one ring shaped
rim that is less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter.

I think it would be worth everyone's time to send the DNR a comment about clarifying this new definition to ensure that the standard
net ring with two rings will still be legal.
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »

Good point, Mikie.

It'll be interesting to see the responses.

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

9" NOT my biggest, Rest are mounted and on display

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:59:14 AM »

I wonder what brought this all about. I went through this in the 90's using these rings when they weren't even on the books. A couple commercial crabbers where I crabbed didn't take it to kindly of what I was catching. You know how that goes and what happens. At least DNR added them to the books as a way to catch crabs but they had no limit on the number of rings you could use. More moaning and groaning and then they placed the limit of 30 on them. Anyway here we go again with how DNR words things. The way I take it is they're just saying you can't have a ring more than 30" especially when it says SUPPORTED by ONE RING SHAPED RIM. Therefore it shouldn't matter how many other rings there are because they're not supporting anything.

I always tell myself "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid.

Crab Ring Nets made by Perfectionist
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »

I would read it the same way and hope that's what happens, or they clarify the wording before it's adopted.
The problem will be when the NRP guy sees the words "one ring". If he sees more then "one ring" he's probably reaching for his ticket book.
That's why I think it would be prudent for everyone to send a comment to the email address in the notice to express their concern over the wording. I sent mine last night before I posted the notice on here.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »

DNR should just leave the recs alone when it come to equiment like this and instead just make a 1 bu per boat limit per day for recs.

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »

I just sent a request for clarification and expressed my concerns.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »

It looks like the request for clarification part of my e-mail might be ignored.  I got an auto-reply saying they would take my comments into consideration.  It looks like if want to actually give an opinion on the proposed change (and at this point it is unclear what the change means), you have to make an assumption and state your case by e-mail or at the meeting.

joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »

DNR should just leave the recs alone when it come to equiment like this and instead just make a 1 bu per boat limit per day for recs.

I totally agree! They don't need anymore than that.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »

I told them that I thought the proposal was actually more confusing then the existing reg and that most crab net rings actually have two rings and would existing crab net rings be legal if the proposal passed as written.
I'm sure nothing would be forthcoming until after all of the comment and hearing periods are over. Even then I wouldn't necessarily expect a direct response. More then likely will just have to keep an eye on the Public Notices.
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »

I would read it the same way and hope that's what happens, or they clarify the wording before it's adopted.
The problem will be when the NRP guy sees the words "one ring". If he sees more then "one ring" he's probably reaching for his ticket book.
That's why I think it would be prudent for everyone to send a comment to the email address in the notice to express their concern over the wording. I sent mine last night before I posted the notice on here.

I still say if it was meant to be just one ring they wouldn't have added the words SUPPORTED BY. So now this opens up another question. I suppose you could have a supporting top ring of 30" and a bottom ring of whatever size you wanted.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 10:39:20 PM »

It actually should be one bushel per license, not boat.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »

! bu per lic. , really? some recs. catch and keep way to many crabs per season already when they don't acually use those crabs, they instead give them to others though out the season and that my friend is not and should not be the purpose of rec crabbin which is a maryland tradition to catch your own crabs to feast on.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »

! bu per lic. , really? some recs. catch and keep way to many crabs per season already when they don't acually use those crabs, they instead give them to others though out the season and that my friend is not and should not be the purpose of rec crabbin which is a maryland tradition to catch your own crabs to feast on.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »

Nah, I'll stick with my theory. 1 bushel per license sounds fair.
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »

I sent picture of double ring to DNR customer service and I asked them if it is legal to use, the answer is yes and they sent me a ring picture they try to make it illegal to use.

Here is the picture they sent me.

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »

That makes more sense to me, ed.  It looks like the two rings are connected, so they are both supporting the net.  I can also see how a crab could get trapped in the inside wedge.

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »

That's not much differant that a traditsional 4 door collapsable trap why make it illeagal?
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »

I sent picture of double ring to DNR customer service and I asked them if it is legal to use, the answer is yes and they sent me a ring picture they try to make it illegal to use.

Here is the picture they sent me.

Nice work Ed. Now I see why. Both them rings are supporting rings. The top ring doesn't fall down like the doors on a trap. It stays just like shown in the picture. That bottom ring is 34". Guess that 4" makes a difference to them.
Mike, I made some of them 4 years ago. Never caught a crab so I did an experiment. I would put a crab in it to see if would attract more crabs. Later when I pulled it up the crab that was in there would be gone. Same results throughout the day. Hope you and others wasn't getting worried about such nonsense of making the basic 2 ring crab net illegal.

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »

Nice work Ed. Now I see why. Both them rings are supporting rings. The top ring doesn't fall down like the doors on a trap. It stays just like shown in the picture. That bottom ring is 34". Guess that 4" makes a difference to them.
Mike, I made some of them 4 years ago. Never caught a crab so I did an experiment. I would put a crab in it to see if would attract more crabs. Later when I pulled it up the crab that was in there would be gone. Same results throughout the day. Hope you and others wasn't getting worried about such nonsense of making the basic 2 ring crab net illegal.

Jim, I wouldn't assume it's nonsense.  The more people that comment on the proposal, the better the chance that a mistake is not made in the wording.  BTW, how did you know it was a 34" ring?

?
That's not much differant that a traditsional 4 door collapsable trap why make it illeagal?

rd, doesn't look to me like it would sit flat on the bottom, and could possibly trap crabs?Huh   and recs are more likely to lose a trap?Huh  who knows what they're thinkin'?

Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 09:12:46 PM »

Jim, I wouldn't assume it's nonsense.  The more people that comment on the proposal, the better the chance that a mistake is not made in the wording.  BTW, how did you know it was a 34" ring?
Here is the email

Hi Edward,

I checked in with our legal staff, and we've proposed changing the definition (see here under .01 or http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/BlueCrab1-2017.pdf).  I'm attaching a picture (below) of what we're trying to prohibit. The picture that you sent we would want to continue to allow. So the answer is that your net ring is currently legal and we will do what we need to do to ensure that it remains legal and isn't accidentally prohibited. (Currently our "E-regs" page and fishing guide says "Net rings must have a diameter less than or equal to 30 inches").

regards,

Erik Zlokovitz

dnr.maryland.gov
Erik Zlokovitz
Recreational Fishing and
Public Access Outreach Coordinator
Fishing and Boating Services
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Ave., B-2
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
410-260-8338 (office) 
410-260-8324 (voicemail)