May 26, 2018, 01:39:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marylandís veteran crab manager fired after watermen complain to Hogan  (Read 12832 times)
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »

Just saw this today.

http://www.bayjournal.com/article/marylands_veteran_crab_manager_fired_after_watermen_complain_to_hogan
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »

Only met her a few times, very nice lady.

Sad

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
Ėnoun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »

Got to be more to the story than that...
Topperss

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »

I'm surprised this news hasn't blown up on here.  I'd also like to hear the whole story.
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »

Agreed.  She was on someone's radar screen already.

This commercial guys are idiots.  Basic business DUH. If supplies go down with same demand, the price goes up.   A wasted mind is a terrible thing.

Gee whiz more money for less work?   Shazam Goober!

Got to be more to the story than that...

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »

wow, really, idiots? if your not in the biz you don't understand from N.NJ.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »

Ive always looked at Hogan as a fair guy, I don't think she deserved to lose her job over this, there has to be more to the story that is not being told.

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
Ėnoun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »

I agree Chris. What the guy from NJ don't know about md politics is that for a long time now DNR has brought more restricions year after year trying to boost the crab pop. and almost all of those restrictions were never repealed even tho the didn't have an effect on crab numbers so asking to remove some of the old laws makes sence to some comm watermen. the only law that made some progress was the sook limit and some still don't believe it myself included. Crab population are very cyclet and pollution plays the biggest part so just sayin maybe somebody from another state shouldn't throw stones.
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:04:39 PM »

It's a shame when anybody loses their job. How many watermen have lost their jobs due to the DNR? People in the private sector lose jobs every day,not so much with govt jobs.
redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »

Seems her biggest demise was her inflexibility on ANY modifications to the 5 1/4'' law.

Funny a guy from Jersey complains about Sub 5.25'' crabs when his state allows harvest of sub 5'' crabs

Biggest problems I see for crabs in the Chesapeake are first water quality and second Virginia can still harvest sponge crabs

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »

Lot of opinions on this subject. Seems last years catch results were a big improvement. 1/4 " shouldn't matter at all, better prices for bigger crabs in my opinion.  Thing is, not all commercial crabbers were unhappy with Davis.

Hogan will have to do better with an explanation on firing a person who has helped the crabs become more plentiful. Lady has 28 years of service with MD. Hope she gets a decent job or at least writes a book on her dealings in the DNR.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »

this was about quantity, not quality.

They wanted more crabs to send to picking houses, not better crabs to send to market

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »

It was about catching more smaller crabs to make more money. Brenda Davis wasn't interested in making money, just doing whatever it took to keep the crab population growing.
 To me, start the season May 1st. 5 1/2" crabs would be the size for keepers.   Coveside in Dundalk supports Brenda Davis along with others. She has nothing to worry about concerning doing what was best for crabs. She did a great job in my opinion.  Hope the citizens of MD who want a future with crabbing call the Hogan.

Also the decisions made so far by the people before Hogan have made a difference. The oyster sanctuaries are making a difference, slowly of course. But it was better then doing nothing. SMH
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »

Brenda Davis had no direct effect on the crab population. There are many factors at work in the Chesapeake that cannot be controlled by laws or regulations. Brenda Davis did what she was told to do by bioligist and her boss,maybe. laws that seen no effect are still on the books like 1 day off, shorter work day  ect. most states hold a 5 inch limit for the same reason md did, because of the size that picking house would accept, most states allow recs to keep sooks.
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »

Remember where this story comes from The Bay Journal   I'm sure none of there writers voted for Hogan

reds

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

I'm sure Brenda was on the short list, as well as a few others.

Between her supporting the hail in, hail out and early on agreeing with a few other DNR people, calling all crabbers liars, sealed her fate with the southern association.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »

Got something to back up the liar claim? The woman was a person who used science to make her decisions, not like others who think they already have the answers because they do it for a living.  Personally, I think we get to see the results of her being fired in the next several years. If those oyster sanctuaries get opened up. the tax dollars spent will be a area of conversation in the future.
 I remember when erlich appointed a dancer to run the Dundalk Marine terminal, now that was quality politics, LOL.
reds

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 06:49:05 AM »

Got something to back up the liar claim? The woman was a person who used science to make her decisions, not like others who think they already have the answers because they do it for a living.  Personally, I think we get to see the results of her being fired in the next several years. If those oyster sanctuaries get opened up. the tax dollars spent will be a area of conversation in the future.
 I remember when erlich appointed a dancer to run the Dundalk Marine terminal, now that was quality politics, LOL.

If you had attended the commercial crab meetings sponsored by the DNR, in the last 9 years you wouldn't ask for proof.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »

What if..........nothing changes as the result of her firing? What if restrictions were relaxed and crab population stay stable or increased.........what would anyone say then?

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 11:05:44 AM »

Hopefully nothing changes in regards to the crab population getting better, that's what we all want to see. But the changes that occurred after the crabs were not plentiful were needed in my opinion.

As far as those meetings, I'll bet a lot of stories were told that didn't have the scientific backing needed to be totally true. Calling Davis a liar is flat out wrong. Woman was doing her job and some were not happy with her viewpoints.  Can't please all the people, but her decisions did impact a lot of people. Depending on where they stood, most were happy with having great season of catching crabs.  Seems some maybe just a little more greedy in how many crabs they catch.

Speaking of lies, my favorite story was that female crabs only breed once and therefore, keeping female crabs was okay. Science sure proved that story false, LOL. Imagine if females weren't kept, maybe the population would be even better.  What if?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home