May 25, 2018, 08:41:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marylandís veteran crab manager fired after watermen complain to Hogan  (Read 12796 times)
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

I hop NJ hires her and she makes keeping females illegal.

I hope they do hire her there. We will catch more females here in Maryland and send them to NJ.  laugh laugh laugh
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »

I hop NJ hires her and she makes keeping females illegal.
Why? is there a crab population problem? Be careful what you wish for. NJ DNR should contact the EDF they have great management plans like catch shares that would do NJ rec crabbers alot of good.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »

There were several reasons why the hours were cut to reduce crab harvests and some full time commercial crabbers benefitted from them. One was because of crab pot thievery. Anyone seen pulling crab pots in the Bay after 2 pm was automatically illegally pulling pots. This curtailed people from raiding their crabs and stealing crab pots in the evening when the full time commercial  crabbers were off the water and done for the day. The 2 pm quitting time also kept the  double dipper  commercial crabbers that hurt the bottom lines of full time watermen off the water after work from skimming extra crabs from the Bay as these moonlighter commercial crabbers competed for crabs , created a glut at times, helped diminish the crab population  and kept prices down for the  full time commercial crabbers.. That's why recreational crabbers are allowed to crab until sunset.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »

Had about enough from you and your OPINIONS. I am 1 of those double dippers who work the water part time to make ends meet and support my family. We part timers create no glut are you kidding me? I sell to friends and family and people in my community who can't afford the high price of crabs from the retail end, to each his own. You see things through an angle that meets your standards and it has nothing to do with crab manegment or science or bioligey just your why of thinking on how things should be and acually it's not even what you think but just what you have read . You my friend have earned my first ever ignore button and i really hope i've earned yours and all of this just because you are too old to work the water for a living.[dang].
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »

Promise me you'll ignore me. I can't help it if you don't like the facts. I'm not too old to work the water for a living. I don't have to work the water .I do it for pleasure  not work. I can crab 7 days a week in season if I choose. I crab enough to keep what I need. I spend more time on the water than you do a year.I am not anti recreational about wanting to keep recreational crabbers from keeping 2 bushels of crabs per boat for their personal use or to give crabs to their friends or neighbors.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:03:06 PM by Neither Crab » Logged

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »

What's wrong with working the water and working a second job?

Whats wrong with working a full time job, then getting home and jumping in a boat and running crab pots until after dark?

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
Ėnoun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2017, 04:08:01 PM »

Because the crabs have rebounded these last several years, you can say the 5 1/4 change may have helped.  But you can't say it didn't help because that's just a personal viewpoint with no data to back it up. The reasons given about pollution and crabs being cyclical is true. But  another reason was left out. Overharvesting of the crabs has put a big dent in the crab population.  Recs and commercial crabbers have put a lot of pressure on the crab population, can't deny that.

Hate to see posters go off on other posters, being civil goes a long way. If you are upset with what someone posts, maybe a forum isn't where you want to be.

joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »

Because the crabs have rebounded these last several years, you can say the 5 1/4 change may have helped.  But you can't say it didn't help because that's just a personal viewpoint with no data to back it up. The reasons given about pollution and crabs being cyclical is true. But  another reason was left out. Overharvesting of the crabs has put a big dent in the crab population.  Recs and commercial crabbers have put a lot of pressure on the crab population, can't deny that.

Hate to see posters go off on other posters, being civil goes a long way. If you are upset with what someone posts, maybe a forum isn't where you want to be.

Its funny how people who DO NOT commercially crab/fish always have the answers because of what they read on the internet. As far as your statement regarding how  the 5 1/4" change may have helped. Where's your data to back it up? There is none! The dredge survey itself is a joke! The RECREATIONAL side always has the suggestions on whats best for the commercial side. There's what 60,000 rec crab licenses with some crabbing 2 , maybe 3 times a week. We have to report our landings but the Recs don't.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »

Because the crabs have rebounded these last several years, you can say the 5 1/4 change may have helped.  But you can't say it didn't help because that's just a personal viewpoint with no data to back it up. The reasons given about pollution and crabs being cyclical is true. But another reason was left out. Overharvesting of the crabs has put a big dent in the crab population.  Recs and commercial crabbers have put a lot of pressure on the crab population, can't deny that.

Back in the day, boats were wooden rowboats.  Rich people had a little kicker motor.  Roll Eyes Boat trailers were pulled by horses. And people that owned them lived on the water. Grin Then came relatively cheap fiberglass boats.  Now days you can hardly find a street that doesn't have at least one boat and trailer sitting in a driveway.  In many cases you can look at the house and say to yourself, "I know that roof leaks".  But there sits a $40,000.00 Bass boat in the driveway.   laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »

If you guys want to think it was just a  coincidence that the crabs just came back on their own after the female cut back and always use the phrase "prove it" go ahead and believe it. I didn't read anything on the internet. I lived it before there was an internet and was  as  commercial crabber. I moonlighted too because I was out of work 6 months a year and caught more crabs in a week than most of you catch all year. I was crabbing before most of some of the guys that think they know it all were born. I'm telling you how it did go down. Not how I think it went down.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »

The roof leaks thing is like some of the posters. You can say it, but it doesn't mean it's true. You may even want it to be true because of that bass boat, LOL.  But unless you have facts about it, it probably doesn't leak.

As for people owning boats, they are entitled to spend their money the way they chose.  Good chance some of those same people bought waterfront homes too.  Catching crabs off the pier and enjoying life. A goal many are doing .

But it's a stretch for this thread that's about the Chesapeake bay and what's going on right now.

joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »

If you guys want to think it was just a  coincidence that the crabs just came back on their own after the female cut back and always use the phrase "prove it" go ahead and believe it. I didn't read anything on the internet. I lived it before there was an internet and was  as  commercial crabber. I moonlighted too because I was out of work 6 months a year and caught more crabs in a week than most of you catch all year. I was crabbing before most of some of the guys that think they know it all were born. I'm telling you how it did go down. Not how I think it went down.

As far as the female cutback goes and the go ahead and prove it comment. Here is the dredge report for the last 27 years for MD. Show me where the female cutback made a difference in the last few years we had it. Crabs come an go just like the figures below.

The total estimated number of crabs living in the bay for each year of the survey is listed below:
 Year
 Millions of Crabs
 1990  791                              2000  281                     2010  663
 1991  828                              2001  254                     2011  452
 1992  367                              2002  315                     2012  765
 1993  852                              2003  334                     2013  300
 1994  487                              2004  270                     2014  297
 1995  487                              2005  400                     2015  411
 1996  661                              2006  313​                     2016  553​
 1997  680                              2007  251
 1998  353                              2008  293
 1999 308                               2009   396
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »

Would this dredge report be the same as the one you said " Is a joke" ? So from 1998 to 2009, only one year had 400 million crabs?  But since 2010 the crabs have done better then before with the exception of 2 years. Thanks for showing these facts, which I believe prove Davis was on track with improving the crab population.

Check out this 2008 article about placing restrictions on crabs.     http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/09/AR2008040901797.html     Not hard to see the restrictions have help improve the crab population according to the dredge report..

But you and others said don't believe scientists, regular folks, and the Sun because they are bias, LOL. Only the waterman know the real story, SMH. Which is also not totally true.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:06:51 AM by evinrude 130 » Logged
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »

Let me just put it this way. Since the cut back on female crabs and raising the size of crabs to 5 1/4 inch to make sure there were enough breeding size males for the  rebounding numbers of females to breed with ,crabbing has gotten a lot better. That's enough proof for me. If you want more proof, lets leave things alone and see if it's cyclic .If it is cyclic, crabbing will drop off  anyway. That will be proof to me that it may be cyclic. Otherwise, let's not try to fix something that's working. It's safer to error on the conservative side.
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »

Would this dredge report be the same as the one you said " Is a joke" ? So from 1998 to 2009, only one year had 400 million crabs?  But since 2010 the crabs have done better then before with the exception of 2 years. Thanks for showing these facts, which I believe prove Davis was on track with improving the crab population.

Check out this 2008 article about placing restrictions on crabs.     http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/09/AR2008040901797.html     Not hard to see the restrictions have help improve the crab population according to the dredge report..

But you and others said don't believe scientists, regular folks, and the Sun because they are bias, LOL. Only the waterman know the real story, SMH. Which is also not totally true.

Yep those are the facts.. If you were smart enough to to read those numbers you'd see its up one year or two then down then up.  A cycle that there is NO way of proving the female restrictions helped. Go back to the data in the 70's and there were worse years then recently yet crabs always come back. As far as believing anyone..i don't have to,i crab week in week out catching crab everyday . I know my catch numbers, male female ratio, Time of year, area caught,. Trust me I am smarter about crabs then someone hopping on this board posting links trying to stir up watermen. All the while you hop in your canoe and catch 2 dozen and read the Internet and now you think your educated on a fishery... LOL!!!!As far as the Sun? Don't read it could care less. I also don't care if Brenda Davis got fired or rehired.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

Yep, those are the facts(which I've always believed), they show the crabbing restrictions worked. The winters of 2013 and 2014 may have played a part in the crabs being down.  The  10 years before the restrictions, crabbing sucked big time. Not hard to see that based on the dredge  you posted.

Never wanted to get into a pissing match with some posters who obviously are pro commercial. But the facts speak for themselves, crabbing has improved since the restrictions were implemented. Now it did take 2 years after the implementation started to see that not catching female crabs was a great move. In 2010 the restrictions were eased.   http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-07-21/features/bs-gr-crab-restrictions-20100721_1_female-crabs-crab-population-watermen

I'm thinking selective interpretation of the dredge report is what you are saying. As for being smarter, again, I would expect you to defend yourself.  You posted the dredge report that clearly shows crabbing got better after 2008. The links I post back up what I'm posting about. To deny the info reported in the articles is disingenuous of some. Those articles  are the Sun's way of informing the general public of what's going on with the resources from the Chesapeake Bay.  Get use to it, the Bay is an important part of Maryland.  Good or bad, the media will report it.
LewCrab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »

Now this is a thread worth reading.   Shocked argue toilet deal2

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »

those numbers make no sense at all.

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
Ėnoun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »

From what I read on the DNR page, the crab manager position is not filled by anyone yet. DNR and state of MD  saving money?
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »

Why don't you take it. Since you seem to be the only one concerned.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home