December 15, 2017, 05:17:42 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantic Sturgeon - Learn something new each day.  (Read 5724 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: March 10, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »

"Atlantic sturgeon live in the ocean but spawn in tidal freshwater. This species has been extirpated throughout most of its original range from overfishing and habitat loss, but the James River, Virginia, still maintains a viable spawning population.  Shocked In February 2012, the Chesapeake Bay population segment of Atlantic sturgeon was listed as "endangered" under the Endangered Species Act by NOAA Fisheries."

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
jmjral

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »

I seem to recall that they still get some up the Delaware.
Hardshell Tony

Anyone who has crabs lacks nothing.Crabs r enough

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »

They have reports of adults in the Marshy Hope Creek,which feeds into the Nanticoke near Sharptown. One jumped into a guys boat. They did research, but didn't find any juveniles.
 I work part time in the summer at the drawbridge on the Nanticoke in Seaford. I talk to the Marine biologists all the time,they do shock surveys for Shad and Herring into the summer. Will ask them of any Sturgeon sightings.
tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »

You can see them in Richmond (looking down from the Mayo bridge) in early spring, come on up next year I will show you, they are huge, look like battleships underwater. Down river some I saw a guy in a boat with a drift net, pulled up to him to see what he was doin, was a VCU researcher studying them, he said the pop is increasing... GOOD NEWS!
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »

I found one last year floating around the docks dead at St. Augustine beach. I called DNREC to report it.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »

They have reports of adults in the Marshy Hope Creek,which feeds into the Nanticoke near Sharptown. One jumped into a guys boat. They did research, but didn't find any juveniles.
 I work part time in the summer at the drawbridge on the Nanticoke in Seaford. I talk to the Marine biologists all the time,they do shock surveys for Shad and Herring into the summer. Will ask them of any Sturgeon sightings.

We go to riverfest every year.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home