February 20, 2018, 10:26:36 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing Crabby in CT  (Read 1810 times)
KrabbyPatties

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »

Hey yall, I got bit by the crabbing bug late last season and have been impatiently waiting for the spring to arrive. Spring fever is overtaking me as I have bought a nice little crabbing boat, and a new (to me) off shore fishing boat this winter. As for the crabs, I am still a rookie and am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. So, since we got nothing else to do besides look out at the white stuff, let's talk crab! When do they arrive? Whats the water temp that kicks it off? What depths early season? Up the rivers or near the sound? What do you prefer for traps? Fish or chicken? I could go on and on!! Bring on spring!
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:36:33 AM »

Crabs around here usually show first to middle of May.  Season in CT opens May first.  Water temp varies .  mid fifties seems like a number when they start to get active.  Seems to be the big full males  show early and hang in till mid June.  I am pretty much a chicken necker. I  enjoy the suspense of first feeling a nice heavy pull back on the line.  Then the wondering ,, is it a monster or , 2 or 3 little guys.  THEN,  seeing those BIG claws, (not red ones)  slowly come up thru the darkness,   AND ,,,,, hoping it doesn't just let go Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry.   Of course ONLY  eight inchers and above do that!!! laugh laugh laugh.  Lookin for that elusive 8 incher .  10 years of heavy duty crabbin and plenty up to 7 7/8 " .    That's why when someone tells me they got 2,3,or 4 eight inchers in their basket,, I just shake my head and SMILE Wink Wink Wink.   It is all fun to me  yes sunny   Can't wait till May Cheesy Grin.  Check out MY new crabbin ride for 2017,    Twin Troller, on line .   Gonna love this little boat.
Professor_Leakey

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:49:45 PM »

I am chomping at the bit for the season to kick off.  I checked last year's posts and my first limit happened on May 28th up here in MA.  As for bait, I have used allll kinds from freezer burned bear steaks to wild turkey drums (they work great), various chicken parts (drums, necks, spines), wild duck parts leftover from duck season (also work great), skinned frogs minus the legs,  and various fish.  Everybody has their preference and almost anything will work.  I typically wait for chicken drums to go on sale and then buy enough to last a while.  Hopefully I have a good turkey season, as those drum sticks hold up very well.  I need to pay the witch a visit!

King Crabber, that's an awesome rig.  I have a feeling you're gonna get that 8 inch crab this year.     

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:15 AM »

I am chomping at the bit for the season to kick off.  I checked last year's posts and my first limit happened on May 28th up here in MA.  As for bait, I have used allll kinds from freezer burned bear steaks to wild turkey drums (they work great), various chicken parts (drums, necks, spines), wild duck parts leftover from duck season (also work great), skinned frogs minus the legs,  and various fish.  Everybody has their preference and almost anything will work.  I typically wait for chicken drums to go on sale and then buy enough to last a while.  Hopefully I have a good turkey season, as those drum sticks hold up very well.  I need to pay the witch a visit!

King Crabber, that's an awesome rig.  I have a feeling you're gonna get that 8 inch crab this year.     
   Hey prof,  I heard the WITCH is related to  Kim Jung UM,     laugh laugh laugh laugh Shocked Shocked
KrabbyPatties

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »

Thanks King Crab!! That means we are just about a month out!!

Aar684

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »

Crabs around here usually show first to middle of May.  Season in CT opens May first.  Water temp varies .  mid fifties seems like a number when they start to get active.  Seems to be the big full males  show early and hang in till mid June.  I am pretty much a chicken necker. I  enjoy the suspense of first feeling a nice heavy pull back on the line.  Then the wondering ,, is it a monster or , 2 or 3 little guys.  THEN,  seeing those BIG claws, (not red ones)  slowly come up thru the darkness,   AND ,,,,, hoping it doesn't just let go Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry.   Of course ONLY  eight inchers and above do that!!! laugh laugh laughLookin for that elusive 8 incher .  10 years of heavy duty crabbin and plenty up to 7 7/8 " .    That's why when someone tells me they got 2,3,or 4 eight inchers in their basket,, I just shake my head and SMILE Wink Wink Wink.   It is all fun to me  yes sunny   Can't wait till May Cheesy Grin.  Check out MY new crabbin ride for 2017,    Twin Troller, on line .   Gonna love this little boat.

I'm 33 and been crabbing various spots along the CT shoreline since I can remember as a little guy. Never seen an 8 myself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home