February 20, 2018, 10:27:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump budget axes funding for Chesapeake Bay cleanup  (Read 2970 times)
Steve
Administrator

« on: March 17, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

Trump budget axes funding for Chesapeake Bay cleanup

President Donald Trump’s first proposed federal budget, dubbed “America First,” includes some $54 billion in defense spending increases to be “offset by targeted reductions elsewhere,” including the elimination of all $73 million in federal funding that helps pay for programs in Virginia and other states to reduce pollution in the Chesapeake Bay.

Full story here:

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/trump-budget-axes-funding-for-chesapeake-bay-cleanup/article_b9dbf596-6156-5825-a05f-810aab87add5.html
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »

Be interesting to see how it shakes out. Will MD politicians find other money to make up the difference. Maybe someone needs to take Trump out on the Chesapeake Bay, LOL. He can see first hand how great it is  and how it needs to be looked after.
reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »

Be interesting to see how it shakes out. Will MD politicians find other money to make up the difference. Maybe someone needs to take Trump out on the Chesapeake Bay, LOL. He can see first hand how great it is  and how it needs to be looked after.

Maybe he's tired of pouring money down a rat hole.

The people in Baltimore don't care, just look at the potato chip bags and trash in the inner harbor.

The people in Pennsylvania don't care. Look what comes down the Susky on a heavy rain. 

At some point the money runs dry and  enough is enough.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »

Money will not fix the Bay.  Sad  There is so much "[curd]" laying on the bottom that the only thing that could clean the Bay is a cataclysmic event.  Undecided   

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »

Doing nothing to clean up waterways would be tragic. A 2014 article on some success stories.  http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2014/0330/Cleaning-up-US-waterways-5-success-stories

With the population constantly growing, expect trash and pollution to continue. You see it on the roads and highways all the time.

I'll do my part and continue to enjoy the Chesapeake Bay. Cant speak for others though. As for storm systems that dirty up the Bay, well, that's something we can't do anything about.

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »

This cut affects the entire Chesapeake Bay watershed which encompasses parts of six states—Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia—and the entire District of Columbia. So hoping that Maryland politicians can find other money to make up the difference is not going to help when you have coal ash flowing into the Bay from West Virginia, for example.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:27:56 PM by Steve » Logged
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

All six states have to know that the watershed  is a source of additional monies created by tourism, boat related sales and activities, and finally the resources the watershed provides to people who make a living of the watershed. Hotels, restaurants, fuel supplier and the list goes on. What about  these people who depend on folks visiting or using the watershed.

Not sure about the coal ash, didn't think coal was in high demand anymore. Even so, coal ash isn't a new problem and the watershed is still active. But maybe not as active as it originally was.

An article on a bill about Dominion and coal ash.  http://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/coal-ash-revaluation-recycling-bill-that-could-affect-chesapeake-energy/article_58c61410-a4b2-5b3b-b302-3f5ba6f26549.html

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »

I used coal ash as an example. My point is that all six states would have to cooperate and work together to keep the Bay clean if the CBF is eliminated. What incentive does a state like West Virginia have when it has no shoreline on the Bay?
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »

Good question. Found this on the internet, seems they are participating in efforts to keep the water in better condition in regards to pollution.  http://www.dep.wv.gov/WWE/watershed/wqmonitoring/Pages/ChesapeakeBay.aspx

They do have reasons for fisherman to visit and take part in fishing.  http://www.wvdnr.gov/fishing/fishing.shtm

The fact they have committed themselves to help with keeping the watershed in better shape is great.

Guess we will have to wait and see what the cuts are.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:28:09 PM by evinrude 130 » Logged
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »

the budget is only proposed...so we don't know what will happen until after it goes thru appropriations etc.

but the reality is that unless the bay helps build a wall or protect against terrorism, there is a good chance that the funding will get cut... 

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »

The great thing is, Trump can propose what he wants, others have to agree or disagree on it. May take a while to see what really happens. . The checks and balances that are in place makes this a great country. Trump is still going to have to have approval for anything he proposes.

As for that wall, Mexico says they will not pay for it. So I'm sure the American people might feel different when they see what it may cost.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »

Can you guys show me how this funding has improved the bay?

Its got a D grade for the past 20 years.

Sounds to me like, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation isn't getting its silver platter anymore and they're complaining.

The next rain storm, and thats 50 million gone.

Its a cash cow and was cut.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »

http://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/nfwf-epa-award-nearly-11-million-to-improve-chesapeake-bay-watershed
I'm sure the Bay would be worse off if no efforts had been made at all.   Can't say the money has been used totally on the Bay, some people have questioned the CBF about it. But the Bay would be in worse shape had no actions been taken at all, I'm sure of that.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=88523

The rockfish have been bountiful above the Bay Bridge these last several years. The charter boats from down south have been seen fishing above the bridge these last several years.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 07:51:03 AM »

I'm sorry but its NOT the governments responsibility to keep our waterways clean.  ITS OURS.  Mankind.  We are responsible for polluting our waterways.  I know this first hand with Lake Pontchartrain.  Our lake had and still has a pollution problem but not as worst as in past years.  Sewage, chemical hazard waste, farm runoff.  All was destroying our lake.  There were sections of the lake that were closed to swimming.  Now there are bacteria readings at all pumping stations to monitor the problem.  It wasn't until the EPA stepped in and required major changes to farmlands and threatened to put politicians in jail for not improving our sewage systems. Larger fines were implemented and companies were required to restore the wildlife and eco system around the lake.  We all must take part in keeping our waterways clean.  I guess you could say it starts with us.  Recs as well as commercial.  Keep garbage bags on board to stow any paper products, cans and bottles and don't hesitate to yell at someone for throwing rash overboard.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 08:31:16 AM »

Great post capt ron.

Several MD law makers express their thoughts on the proposed cuts.

http://patch.com/maryland/broadneck/s/g2cya/chesapeake-bay-among-concerns-maryland-lawmakers-under-trump-budget-proposal?utm_source=article-mostrecent&utm_medium=rss&utm_term=politics%20%26%20government&utm_campaign=recirc&utm_content=aol

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:07:54 AM »

You can stop reading that after the first sentence. "Maryland Democrats voiced their displeasure with the Trump administration’s budget proposals this week". 

If President Trump gave every person in Maryland a million dollar the Maryland Democrats would scream "IT SHOULD BE TWO MILLION PER PERSON!" laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »

Posting about politics is insane on forums. The subject is about keeping the Bay from being a true rat hole as one poster stated it already was. The Chesapeake is not in the greatest shape, but it is still the best thing MD has going for it. It draws a lot of tourism and that alone keeps people employed or have a source of income. Add in the businesses that need or use the Bay as a source of income.

But if it was a democratic POTUS, bet it would be the same article substance with republicans  commenting in the article, LMAO.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:47 PM »

yea it's got to be true if it's on the internet and I'm French too.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »

I have to agree with Chris.  And to say where would it be with out all the millions is truly speculative.  Can anyone show where the funds have gone and what positive it has done?  The only spending I see is on all the people saying we have a problem. 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

Posting about politics is insane on forums. The subject is about keeping the Bay from being a true rat hole as one poster stated it already was. The Chesapeake is not in the greatest shape, but it is still the best thing MD has going for it. It draws a lot of tourism and that alone keeps people employed or have a source of income. Add in the businesses that need or use the Bay as a source of income.

But if it was a democratic POTUS, bet it would be the same article substance with republicans  commenting in the article, LMAO.

Is there a web site about politics that you can post on?  Although it is a funny topic we need to keep this a CRABBING forum.  Happy crabbing y'all

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home