February 24, 2018, 10:38:29 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicken Necks  (Read 6270 times)
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 06:52:53 PM »

WOODYM :

I am interested where that might be ! HUH Huh
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:15:17 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »

Just a note if you bait up your TL and then freeze it;
That ba***rd will be frozen solid, and it takes a long time to thaw.  Even if you think it's thawed out, the bottom/middle probably isn't.  It gets to be a really bad time when you're 800' down your set and the last 400' come out as a frozen-solid block. 
I've taken to drilling several 1/2" holes in the bottom of the 5-gallon pails I use to hold my TLs.  With those holes I can flush the bucket with hose water for a while to help quicken the thaw.  Then, if necessary to finish the thaw, I can dunk the bucket in the warm bay water, allowing it to fill from the bottom, before or while setting my line .
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »

Dirichlet:

I certainly do appreciate the information that you have given to me .

Thank You .

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
54bobby
Supporting Member

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »

google wholesale poultry/chicken dealer near me.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »

Thanks Bobby:

I'll give it a try.   laugh laugh laugh

Get it on !

Clearwater19

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:10 PM »

Reisingers Poultry in York Pa. They are off of 83 at the Leader Heights exit. Should be able to google up a phone number.   800-632-9040
TopOreKnot

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »

Call you're local butcher shop. Sometimes they have them.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »

google wholesale poultry/chicken dealer near me.
Stauffer's of Kissel Hill had a sale on Perdue chicken leg quarters for .49 a lb so I bought 40 lbs of them. The one super market near me wanted 1.00 a lb for chicken necks DUH, I DON'T THINK SO ! I am going to try the poultry place in York Pa I still want a 40 lb case of necks to use in my net rings. THANKS GUY'S you have been a great help !

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 01:35:28 PM »

Stauffer's of Kissel Hill had a sale on Perdue chicken leg quarters for .49 a lb so I bought 40 lbs of them. The one super market near me wanted 1.00 a lb for chicken necks DUH, I DON'T THINK SO ! I am going to try the poultry place in York Pa I still want a 40 lb case of necks to use in my net rings. THANKS GUY'S you have been a great help !

BGFISHHOOK1

While $1 a lb might be expensive, how many necks make a lb? Compared to how much bait will a leg quarter give you? A leg quarter is much heavier then 1 CN. Do you chop up the leg quarter to get more pieces of bait? Never used a leg quarter before, does it work?
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »

To answer your question, Yes they work fine and I bone them at .49 a pound they are a lot cheaper than the necks however as stated before I still want a 40 pound case of necks for my net rings but I am not going to give the super market that is close to me 1.00 a pound for them. I have other options to get them for free if I want to work a little. Thanks for asking though.

BGFISHHOOK1

P.S. I use home made hinged bait cages in my home made metal traps for my bait which means the crab don't eat too much of the bait

Get it on !

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »

Found this from 2012   how many chicken necks in a pound - The Blue Crab Archives

https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=60137.0

Aug 29, 2012 - 18 posts
how many chicken necks in a pound. ... count out enough to make one lb and do the math. if ten makes one pound then you need 15 lbs.
Paxriverprivateer

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 03:30:01 PM »

Nicks in prince Fredrick sells them in 40lb boxes for 20 dollars
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 07:19:09 AM »

Nicks in prince Fredrick sells them in 40lb boxes for 20 dollars

$23 this year.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »

That is a very good price. these robbers up here want 1.00 a lb for them, one of the more exclusive stores had a sale on chicken leg quarters ( Perdue ) .49 a pound so I bought 40 lbs of them and de-boned them packed them in my trap cages and froze them, now I'm ready for the crabs when they migrate north. Darrel do you know where that store is in Maryland? I'll drive there for them before I give these robbers a dollar a pound for the same thing. THANKS FOR THE INFO !

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:57 AM »

That is a very good price. these robbers up here want 1.00 a lb for them, one of the more exclusive stores had a sale on chicken leg quarters ( Perdue ) .49 a pound so I bought 40 lbs of them and de-boned them packed them in my trap cages and froze them, now I'm ready for the crabs when they migrate north. Darrel do you know where that store is in Maryland? I'll drive there for them before I give these robbers a dollar a pound for the same thing. THANKS FOR THE INFO !

BGFISHHOOK1

not down here.....I usually get 20 cases of fowl necks at a time.  Last year it was $14 a case for 20 or more cases.  Not sure yet what this year holds for prices.  supposedly a bird shortage.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

TC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »

Try C&C Meats, Upper Marlboro, Trade Zone Industrial Park.... $22 /40lb fresh not frozen...
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »

Try C&C Meats, Upper Marlboro, Trade Zone Industrial Park.... $22 /40lb fresh not frozen...

one of my "go to" places

Captain13

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »

When I used CN I would buy them in bulk quantity, I think 40# for $22.00 from Northeast grocer on Main Street in North East MD. They do have a website bit I would call to make sure they still sell them before I made the trip. It would be a straight run down Rt. 272 for you.

The North East Grocer
131 S. Main St.
North East, Md. 21901
410-287-3415    410-287-3435

My wife said to me - you " S-o-B, your half drunk again!" I said its not my fault, I ran out of money.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »

THANK YOU for the info it sure looks promising to me I'll give them a call before I go down there.
That would not be a great distance for me to drive. again thanks!

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »

not down here.....I usually get 20 cases of fowl necks at a time.  Last year it was $14 a case for 20 or more cases.  Not sure yet what this year holds for prices.  supposedly a bird shortage.

A bird shortage.  Really.  Have you seen the eastern shore?  Birds everywhere.

I guess that's there excuse for this year's price hike.  $0.59 to $1.00/pound for trash.  they should be paying us to take it! Grin

I'll never forget the 10 cases I bought from Weis, not long ago, for $6/case.  yes, $6 for 40 pounds of necks.  That only lasted 2 years. Grin  I should have bought 1000 cases.

Git 'r dun!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home