November 18, 2018, 07:08:18 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which watermen gets their way?  (Read 2723 times)
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-crab-harvest-rules-20170325-story.html

This article covers concerns by all with wanting to do what they think is best for crabs. The Virginia comment is interesting. I remember last year the Virginia crabbers tore them up in the spring.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »

Give them both what they want so they can both win. Let the Dorchester crabbers keep the 5 -5.5 inch crabs since that's all they catch after the 4th. of July and release the crabs over 5.5 inches since they all swim up the Chesapeake Bay anyway. The upper Bay Commercial Crabbers need the jumbos for the restaurant and carry out trade and the Dorchester Crabbers need the smaller crabs to supply the pickin houses. That way everybody gets what they want . There, that was easy.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »

If only it was that easy. LOL
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »

today's little crabs are tomorrows mumbos

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »

I know. But we have already  had 1 crab manager fired because she expressed her opinion as such by our Governor. I am almost positive how this will turn out but I would rather not elaborate on it.

crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »

Give them both what they want so they can both win. Let the Dorchester crabbers keep the 5 -5.5 inch crabs since that's all they catch after the 4th. of July and release the crabs over 5.5 inches since they all swim up the Chesapeake Bay anyway. The upper Bay Commercial Crabbers need the jumbos for the restaurant and carry out trade and the Dorchester Crabbers need the smaller crabs to supply the pickin houses. That way everybody gets what they want . There, that was easy.

Haha. Makes sense to me. They should be careful what they wish for. Grin
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »

Seems some watermen think the way you and I do.  It's interesting that some watermen are thinking of the future, while others are thinking about making more money.  I hope that the crabs are here for many years to come, Kaine and O'Malley wanted it that way to. Not often Virginia and MD agree on the resources. Now if they could stop the over harvesting of Menhaden by Omega, quite a few folks would be happy.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »

Kaine and O'Malley wanted it that way to.

....and another piece of the puzzle falls in place!

lol

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »

Always 3 sides to every story..... the left, the right and somewhere in between is the truth

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »

this is Maryland.....4 sides.......the far left, the left, moderate and if your right....your racist.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »

The guys south of me use to look at my crabs and shake their heads.  Large fat mumbos.  Not a whole lot of poundage but a good price for my crabs.

I use to look at them shaking my head.  They were bringing 2,000-3,000 pounds of crabs in, all factory.  Getting paid .50 a pound if they were lucky.

After all expenses I made just as much money as they did with a whole lot less work.

To each their own.

Ronnie

let the good times roll
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »

The guys south of me use to look at my crabs and shake their heads.  Large fat mumbos.  Not a whole lot of poundage but a good price for my crabs.

I use to look at them shaking my head.  They were bringing 2,000-3,000 pounds of crabs in, all factory.  Getting paid .50 a pound if they were lucky.

After all expenses I made just as much money as they did with a whole lot less work.

To each their own.

Ronnie
I've been trying to explain that to Virginia and Maryland for 40 years. 1 bu. of small crabs can be 2 bu. of large crabs next month after they sluff and worth 4x the money. The complaint here is that the lower Chesapeake yields smaller crabs consistently because of the higher salinity. They never get a good run of large crabs like we do in the upper Chesapeake but they have a longer season . It's a tough situation. BTW do you know any fishing camp cabins off the beaten path for rent like next jan/feb on a marsh creek that I could rent for 2 weeks with a small skiff tied up to a cypress tree out back where I could fish for wide mouth bass, rat reds , spike trout, and catch a dozen or 2 blue claws to steam up for lunch or dinner ? Preferably with no gators or cotton mouth  snakes.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »

To each their own.

Ronnie

It's like that with female crabs in the late fall. Waterman making hardly any profit for selling the future of crabbing. Granted some of the females were probably done breeding. The price the waterman get for females isn't really a lot. But it is a source of income if all they catch is females.

Irony is, most folks  lose interest in eating crabs in the fall after eating them all summer. Crazy, that's when the best eating crabs are around. They'll spend an arm and a leg for crabs in the spring. But fall crabs become cheaper because of the less demand for them.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

On January 1st everyone makes their New Years resolution to loose weight.  Then Mardi Gras King Cakes hit the shelves in mid month. February crawfish season starts and runs till June.  By then everybody is tired of crawfish and everyone is looking for crabs till October.  Then everyone is looking for shrimp, oysters, and turkey till December. 

On January 1st everyone makes their New Years resolution to loose weight. .............  Well you get the picture. laugh laugh

Ronnie 

let the good times roll
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »

Are you talking  about folks in your area or everyone. Maybe you all eat too much, that's why the New Years resolution is needed every year. In Md, folks love their crabs and foods made of crab. Don't know about Marylanders making weight loss resolutions, LOL.

What are Mardi Gras King Cakes?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home