November 17, 2018, 08:27:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What size crab do you think should be kept  (Read 5841 times)
Gary S

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »

There's also more to it than size, I'd rather pick heavy 5" crabs than light 6"ers.
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »

Me thinks you should get somebody to read the rules for Maryland Crabbing to you !! Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
there are rules.. and then there are good ethics.

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 03:28:20 AM »

The rules are the law and the law is there so that their will be " SEED " for years to come. If we were allowed to take what we want not need there would be no more crabs left to harvest. This apples to hunting and fishing and anything else that we have in nature. That is the reason that the ( DNR )protectors  of our natural resources have limits set. I am a strong believer in just take what you need not what you want and for heavens sake use common sense and put that female back she is your future generation of the Blue Crab. No one should be that hungry to take her no matter if the law says it is legal, do your part and look out for the further of others generations to come.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 06:28:34 AM »

I will keep a 5 in. crab where legal but will not sell 5 in, just for me. Sorry bgfishhookk, if i have a market for the sooks i will keep and sell them if not they useully go back, i will also keep some to eat especially is the fall when the are full of eggs on the inside, really good. BTW sooks have been harvested for decades comm and rec. in some states including md at one point with no ill effects on populations. it wasen't until the decline in other seafood stocks that put more pressure on the crabs that it may have started to have an effect, along with the pollution of the bay and the loss of the massive grass beds.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »

RD :
Please don't take offence to what I have written because if you do you will have got to come back and get the gate. Seriously though I will not knock you for taking female crabs because the state of Maryland says that you can legally do it. I do not have a problem with you harvesting your quota of female crabs I am just saying if everyone took female crabs it would be putting a detrimental effect on the population of the Blue Crabs in the Chessy it does not take a genius to see why the DNR done this the way that they did. Don't forget I stated that long ago in the   ( 1970 s ) I took big female crabs when I crabbed the Wye River late in the season when almost all of the crabs that were caught were females. You are legal and you have done nothing wrong, I am sorry if I ruffled your feathers it was not my intent to do so and if I did offend you I am sorry, but for what I do not understand please forgive me !!

BGFISHHOOK1
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:44:07 AM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !

joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »

RD :
Please don't take offence to what I have written because if you do you will have got to come back and get the gate. Seriously though I will not knock you for taking female crabs because the state of Maryland says that you can legally do it. I do not have a problem with you harvesting your quota of female crabs I am just saying if everyone took female crabs it would be putting a detrimental effect on the population of the Blue Crabs in the Chessy it does not take a genius to see why the DNR done this the way that they did. Don't forget I stated that long ago in the   ( 1970 s ) I took big female crabs when I crabbed the Wye River late in the season when almost all of the crabs that were caught were females. You are legal and you have done nothing wrong, I am sorry if I ruffled your feathers it was not my intent to do so and if I did offend you I am sorry, but for what I do not understand please forgive me !!

do itBGFISHHOOK1

The best crabs I had the last 2 years were sooks from the Wye. Huge sooks late summer are the best.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »

BFH1, calm down, no offence taken of any sort. I was simply stating what i do. One thing most recs don't realize is that the only reason that recs can't keep sooks or any female cept softcrabs is that when dnr or the state decided to limit the sook harvest to the comm sector the comm complaned that the recs had to give something up. So dnr decided that the recs had to give up all females because they said they didn't keep them much anyway.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »

R D :
I am calmed down now ?? and for what it is worth You my friend who I have not met yet are one of my favorite people on this forum. I am an old man who has some very strange ways about me. When I used to hunt I never killed anything that I did not intend to eat, killed perfect 8 point Bucks but never had the desire to get one mounted, I always felt that if a Buck  had to die for me it was going to be because I was hungry for the fine taste of  venison ! I don't look down on anyone who looks for that huge 10 point Buck to put his head on the wall, it's just not me. What I am really about is making friends and I have all through life have been really successful at it so with that being said I bid you a good day and a better one tomorrow.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »

Never a female..   

Amen.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »

The flip side to catching  no females for the recs is the pressure on the male crabs. Who else has seen 5" or less male crabs carrying females?

Yea, whatever the law says is what's going to happen, as it should be.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »

The flip side to catching  no females for the recs is the pressure on the male crabs. Who else has seen 5" or less male crabs carrying females?

Yea, whatever the law says is what's going to happen, as it should be.

In 121 posts, this is the only thing I have been able to agree with you on.....   Grin Grin Grin Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »

Well Darrel :

I can honestly say"  I LIKE YOUR POSTS !!!! " Keep it up, N now get back to work on that boat and go catch them Crabs. I plan on going this summer and if I catch some good and if I don't good again I just want to get back on the water again, the crabs for me is a bonus.I just love the water and the fun it can give you, have a good one D   Grin Grin Grin 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »

RD :
Please don't take offence to what I have written because if you do you will have got to come back and get the gate. Seriously though I will not knock you for taking female crabs because the state of Maryland says that you can legally do it. I do not have a problem with you harvesting your quota of female crabs I am just saying if everyone took female crabs it would be putting a detrimental effect on the population of the Blue Crabs in the Chessy it does not take a genius to see why the DNR done this the way that they did. Don't forget I stated that long ago in the   ( 1970 s ) I took big female crabs when I crabbed the Wye River late in the season when almost all of the crabs that were caught were females. You are legal and you have done nothing wrong, I am sorry if I ruffled your feathers it was not my intent to do so and if I did offend you I am sorry, but for what I do not understand please forgive me !!

BGFISHHOOK1
I have been saying this for years, but I get beat up here.  Just because it is legal, doesn't mean it will take an ill effect on the future population.  I was just always raised, from my grandfather, that you catch enough males so there is no need to keep females.  Preserve and conserve the future.  Some people just want to keep everything.  They feel the need to max out there daily quota, every day and then think that it won't hurt the future at all.. I don't get it.. Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right.  Those same people will complain what the regs change for the worse, then wonder, HOW COME?

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »

. No one should be that hungry to take her no matter if the law says it is legal, do your part and look out for the further of others generations to come.

BGFISHHOOK1
  As perfectly said as possible.  This is my theory as well.  I take what I need.  No need to take females.  I have young kids that love crabbing and I am hoping it will be there for them in their future.  We are not eating crabs for survival.  We old thousands of dollars in equipment, and more so in boats, so we are not starving... None of us here.  I have seen 3 guys on a boat keep 3 bushels of crabs.  Yes it is legal, but is it necessary?

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »

As perfectly said as possible.  This is my theory as well.  I take what I need.  No need to take females.  I have young kids that love crabbing and I am hoping it will be there for them in their future.  We are not eating crabs for survival.  We old thousands of dollars in equipment, and more so in boats, so we are not starving... None of us here.  I have seen 3 guys on a boat keep 3 bushels of crabs.  Yes it is legal, but is it necessary?

Totally not necessary.   But they need to get there egos stroked by posting pictures of their full bushels on the internet. 

Gary S

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »

I don't judge someone if I don't know their situation, maybe those 3 guys are having a party for 30 people, if all are eaten I'm OK with it. Now if I know that they let half of them spoil because they kept too many, that isn't right.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »

There's another issue to think about. Are all crabs caught consumed, boy I hope so, but doubt it. What's acceptable for waste? That video last year of dumped crabs at the landfill was an eye opener for me.
twharrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »

A month late to the discussion laugh

Legal limit in VA is 5 inches but I have my measuring tool set at 5 1/4. Right now, I throw females back, but I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of only keeping males being that the male population is down significantly this year. Of course, it's not a trend, yet.  I am all for being prudent about keeping only what you need and making sure we protect the population and all. But if we decimate the male crab population, it won't matter how many females there are. Perhaps there should be a limit set on size and number of females that can be harvested? I don't know.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »

Hey if females are legal to keep where you live keep and eat all your allowed. They taste great more so when they have the orange eggs still inside and are very fat at that time, besides it will take some pressure off the males and right now there's plenty sooks to be had.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »

Hey if females are legal to keep where you live keep and eat all your allowed. They taste great more so when they have the orange eggs still inside and are very fat at that time, besides it will take some pressure off the males and right now there's plenty sooks to be had.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !
Even though I do not " PERSONALLY " keep female crabs which by the way would be illegal for me to keep them where I crab at, ( in Maryland ) I do not have a hangup on any comm keeping them IT IS THE LAW that comm's can keep them so please get over it already. I am tempted to buy a bushel of sooks and eat them just to whiz some of you die-hard's off! enough said.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home