November 20, 2018, 09:25:19 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your 2017 Crabbing Season Prediction  (Read 2553 times)
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:15:57 AM »

What's your prediction for your 2017 crabbing season?

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:25:21 PM »

due to the warmer then normal winter, less kill during the off season.. I see a good to great year.

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »

Did not pull up as many dead crabs this winter in the gill nets compared to previous years.   Combine that with a better dredge report and I'm hoping for a above avg year.  Of course this means we won't get as much for them off of the boat, so I'll have to work harder to make the same amount of money.    That is my prediction.  The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the authors and do not
necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any of the management or owners of this website.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »

due to the warmer then normal winter, less kill during the off season.. I see a good to great year.

I agree with this, mainly because of the mild winter.....nothing to do with regulations.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »

Should be a good year.   Water temps stayed pretty warm until later winter.  I don't think there was much of a kill

lucecreek crabber

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »

Do you guys really think it's been the cold weather that's kept numbers down? Seems like a crazy train (OZZY) of thought. When I crabbed as a kid in the late 60's, it was cold enough that the creek I lived on froze every year. We played ice hockey. how often does that happen now? It didn't seem to impact numbers then. Why now? Just asking.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »

First there there was less population, human, in the 60s, less demand. Second pollution has taken a toll from the 60s 70s forward, bay grasses silt ect. third would natural events hurricanes and things like that. So now with the bay not so good and high demand and even the skyrocketing amount of rec crabbers you have a reduced population of crabs that can be effected with freezing temps. I'm speaking of the CB only and i only mentioned rec crabbers because they now out number comm crabbers and social media has taught many how to maximize catch rates.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »

Plenty of excuses, just pick the one that you think applies.  Waiting on the dredge report, LOL. Should be any day now.

From what I'm hearing, crabbers have done real well. Wonder if the picking houses have their help?  http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/02/22/immigration-crackdown-worries-marylands-crab-industry/
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »

the article says that these workers have nothing to do with the travel ban and there are still 66,000 visa's avilible so i don't see the point except both the paper the poster and aparently mr Clayton are all democrats that do not like Trump.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »

The article gives out info concerning the pickers starting in April and the one owner says what he thinks.  He wishes they had local help and not depend on help from down south. The question was do they currently have the help they need to process crabs already caught?  Wonder if they do?

Selective reading and politics, LOL.

Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »

I see a good year for the same reasons others have noted, warm winter,  female crabs getting a break by rec crabbers or dredged and so far a bit dryer spring.
The Crab Whisperer 2

Here Crabby Crabby ...... Now HOOK !!!!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »

when the bay doesn't freeze over , more oxygen in the bay   sooooo    ANOTHER GR8 YEAR COMING !!!!!

Cozmo
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 11:17:08 PM »

For me - the aspect of being on the water, with family/friends and not working is already a big plus.  

So my vote is "if I get out crabbing at all - it'll be a good year".

I also really enjoy reading the reports here - as it is fun to see how well everyone else does.  more videos and pictures please.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home