October 17, 2018, 11:19:18 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galveston County - 04-14-2017  (Read 1967 times)
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »

Last Sunday, I ran my traps on a 3-day set and ended up with a dozen and a half decent sized crabs.  The best trap had ten of the crabs.  I rebaited and was planning on running them again on Wednesday.  As I was picking up a bucket to empty the water that I used to defrost the bait, I bumped the throttle control box and the motor died immediately.  I tried to restart it, but nothing happened.  I checked the emergency shut off switch and it was still in place.  The tilt was working, so the battery was OK.  Since I had tickets for a play in Galveston in a couple hours, I decided to paddle the 3/4 miles back to the dock. The current was strong and moving in the right direction.  With the dock in sight, another boater came to my aid and towed me the rest of the way in.

At least I had crabs and made it home in time to boil them before the play. 

On Good Friday, my brother, BJFish, came to my aid.  We pulled the console and found that the out of neutral starter kill switch was broken.  I would not have thought that this would have killed the motor that was already running.  I ordered a new switch and BJFish bypassed the switch for a temporary fix.

We then went and pulled the traps in and caught another sixteen crabs.  I sent them all home with BJFish in payment for his coming to the rescue. 

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 05:58:59 AM »

Nice little adventure you had. Good to see it wasn't too much trouble getting back to the dock.

But you did have a nice catch of crabs. Thanks for sharing your report and the photos.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:45:19 AM »

Nice report and some nice looking crabs. Glad you made it back to the dock and got your motor fixed. Nothing worse then breaking down on the water.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »

Good job

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »

Murphy's Law can make a day difficult. Glad you got it fixed.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home