October 18, 2018, 12:02:58 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 Winter Dredge Report  (Read 5706 times)
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2017, 05:18:13 AM »

What is the going price for Backfin or Lump from Va.or Md. right now? It should be pretty low?
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 03:16:30 PM »

What is the going price for Backfin or Lump from Va.or Md. right now? It should be pretty low?

Some of it is female crab meat from what I've been told. I'm thinking plenty of crabs in MD and other sources may keep the price slightly lower. But will folks be in demand for it?
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »

Some of it is female crab meat from what I've been told. I'm thinking plenty of crabs in MD and other sources may keep the price slightly lower. But will folks be in demand for it?
Almost all crabmeat is female meat. I've been paying $15# Alabama , labled Lump ( Back fin) and $20# labled Jumbo lump  Alabama & Louisianna( better grade of Backfin) Venezuela Blue Crab $18 Jumbo lump (restaurant grade ,Big white lumps) same species as our Blue Crab, I think it tastes bland and will not buy it. Pretty but no taste. I've been told they boil  them instead of steaming them and that's why they taste bland? I also read that because they never hibernate that they don't build up fat that makes Blue Crabs taste better? US Gulf has been very fresh and tasty. I usually buy 2 lbs. a week. My wife and I enjoy our home made crab cakes and make ours exactly the way we like them so we have been eating them 2-3 times a week lately.
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »

niethercrab you make statements that make me think that someone could do something more politically correct and save the crabs. If you sir could become the only one to say how crabs were managed what would you do???

Maybe cut back to only 1 pound of crab meat per week?  Grin

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 01:28:08 AM »

Maybe cut back to only 1 pound of crab meat per week?  Grin

I read that a good sized crab yields 1.5-2 oz. of meat. So 2  pounds would equal  16- 21 crabs. If I consumed 2 pounds every week of the year, that would only be about 1,000 crabs a year. I'll try to cut back to 1lb.,500 crabs a year,( after I get tired of dining on crabs 2-3 times a week)so there'll be some for everyone else. Guilty as charged.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »

I read that a good sized crab yields 1.5-2 oz. of meat. So 2  pounds would equal  16- 21 crabs. If I consumed 2 pounds every week of the year, that would only be about 1,000 crabs a year. I'll try to cut back to 1lb.,500 crabs a year,( after I get tired of dining on crabs 2-3 times a week)so there'll be some for everyone else. Guilty as charged.

Would  you consider yourself a pescetarian? And with all that crab eating, the poultry and meat producing companies miss you, LOL.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home