February 23, 2018, 05:37:19 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie from the mountains  (Read 857 times)
flyinlow

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »

hello all. Just threw up my first post in the new member forum. Im new to the richmond area, fresh from the mountians in clifton forge. I haven't really messed with crabbing before, unless you count crayfish ha. I have my yak here and am going to be exploring quite a few water bodies between here and the beach for fishing and a little bit of crabbing if i can figure it out. Im just looking for some general info, not any secret spots. Ive seen quite a bit and most info seems to be based off of location. The info I'm looking for specifically related to va is......

depths - what depths should i target, or does it change with different types of water bodies (river, bay, etc.)
tides - what time is best? going in, going out, slack?
open water vs tight creeks? which one to start with
bottom features - what should i look for? muddy flats, rocks, drop offs,side channels, etc?

thanks for the help guys. If you need some honey holes for some wild browns or brookies back home holler at me

tight lines

twharrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »

Greetings to you. I used to be big into fly fishing when I lived in CO. Loved it. But now with a family and the fact we relocated back east, crabbing is becoming my renewed interest (I've done quite a bit in coastal GA and Texas when I was a kid).

Click the crab icon at the bottom of the forum for some good info on the blue crab.

There are plenty of public boat ramps that access the many inlets and creeks, etc. If you look at an NOAA nautical chart, you'll get an idea about the water depths in those areas (they are not very deep at all, especially at low tide).

Generally crabbing is best when the tide is moving. High vs low depends on a lot of factors.

Water temperatures should be at least 60-65 degrees, not to say it can't be colder. I've been crabbing the last 3 weeks and the crabs are definitely getting bigger as more crabs are beginning to migrating out of the Bay into the inlets and creeks. I think it depends a lot on water temp as to what depth you'll find them. You'll just have to test the waters so to speak.

Just read these forums and you'll get a good idea about what to look for.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home