October 19, 2018, 10:54:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report: Chesapeake Bay Health Improves, But Long Way to go  (Read 3125 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »

"Scientists at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science gave the bay an overall score of 54 percent in the 2016 Chesapeake Bay Health Index, compared to 53 percent in 2015 and 50 percent in 2014. They are giving the bay's health a "C'' grade overall."
http://www.wboc.com/story/35365974/chesapeake-bay-report-card-is-released

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »

I don't remember so much attention being brought to the bays health, by grade until funding for it has been threatened.

Thanks for posting link

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »

The CBF reports the first week of the new year about the previous year.  This report/grade goes out the first week of May and is from the research team at U of M center of Environmental Science.  I'm sure they collaborate but it's two separate agencies under different funding.  I presume...    

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »

Chesapeake bay has been graded for many years now.  This link shows grades in the year 2006 and after. .

http://ian.umces.edu/ecocheck/report-cards/chesapeake-bay/2006/
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »

Just saw the report on fox news, and of course, at the end they're crying about funding drying up and how it will hurt the bay.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »

Well, "C" is still a passing grade. Better then a "D","E", or "F". There's hope for the Bay, if folks continue to do the right thing. Starting from picking up your trash while using the Bay to farmers using products not harmful to the waters. Any type of control or coorectuin on pollution is a step in the right direction.

There are other water ways that are currently recovering from the people and industry who polluted early on.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/77105.html
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:36:01 AM »

i did not read the link because it didn't work for me, anyway the post from jack says the bay got a 50% in 2014 a 53% in 15 and then a 54 % in 16, So now we have a grade of C is that for 17 and what % does it represent? Are we at a 70 % now?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home