October 22, 2018, 01:28:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee Meeting  (Read 16866 times)
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »

Which means you don't gain anything, because of the time it takes to set gear.

You could actually lose your lay or get in a conflict over it.

It's best the bill is put in a drawer and forgotten.
                                                                                AGREED
double E

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »

AGREED
X2
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »

X3!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »

What I can't wrap my head around, is who brought this up and why?

The early start time was originally put out there by a Tidal Fish Advisory member or a Crab Advisory member. I can't remember which. The reason was after a hotter summer then usual, buyers were wanting the crabs by 10am and no later.

That only gave you about a 4 hour day to catch.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »

The early start time was originally put out there by a Tidal Fish Advisory member or a Crab Advisory member. I can't remember which. The reason was after a hotter summer then usual, buyers were wanting the crabs by 10am and no later.

That only gave you about a 4 hour day to catch.

That's right Mike.  It was at a crab committee meeting.  In fact,  this was brought up a couple of times in the past.  It was always voted down by the committee because starting earlier was connected to the required set time.  No one wanted it.

What I can't wrap my head around, is who brought this up and why?

the standard thought of the industry has been that putting something in regulation was much better than changing or writing new laws because compared to what it takes to change a law , changing a regulation is relatively easy.  That said, a certain western shore county waterman's association decided that they would approach their legislator and get this bill written, thinking that they were doing everyone a favor.  Believe me, there was not a consensus of the industry groups.  Yes, we'd all like to start earlier, but that extra hour is not worth making set time fixed.  This is going to create alot of conflicts.   And I don't believe it is enforceable.  How will NRP be able to differentiate between someone who is going to start early, and therefore must set at start time, and someone who is going to start at regular time and can set whenever they want?

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:43 PM »

Just having a hard time understanding this regulation, but thank you guys for attending these meetings when others can't.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2017, 07:17:11 AM »

This is going to create alot of conflicts.   And I don't believe it is enforceable.  How will NRP be able to differentiate between someone who is going to start early, and therefore must set at start time, and someone who is going to start at regular time and can set whenever they want?

I agree, be interesting how the DNR handles it. They are short staffed now from what I recall. Interesting that it was passed.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2017, 07:19:32 AM »

Well i guess we just do what we always do and set when we want. If by chance ,and a slim chance at that , dnr has an officer up at that time of the morning we just use the standard,I didn't know and move on.
Crab U Later

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »

Well i guess we just do what we always do and set when we want. If by chance ,and a slim chance at that , dnr has an officer up at that time of the morning we just use the standard,I didn't know and move on.

Agreed
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »

The onus is on the DNR to get it right at this point. Someone said the bill passed, but implementation is still a guess because of SOP.  

Still find it interesting that it passed if the majority was against when it was first mentioned. Looks like someone may have pulled the wool over others eyes. From what I've read, the waterman's association can be a force to deal with.

https://www.marylandwatermen.com/podium.html      

But it seems like it was discussed.   

SB 59: Crab Harvest Times, Trotline and Pots. This bill has already had its first hearing and amendments have been made for consideration for starting times and ending time.  This will provide crabbers with the opportunity to work the following hours, on Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July and the day before each of these holidays.

• Trotline gear begin two hours before sunrise and nine hours after sunrise not including time spent setting and taking up gear.

• Licensees that use crab pots hours will begin 1 ˝ hours before sunrise and ends 7 ˝ hours after sunrise

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »

looks like all someone had to do was take out the word "not" to get what they wanted and to make the bill  "not" wanted.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2017, 02:52:14 PM »

I'll bet this paragraph helped seal the deal on passing this bill, LOL.

Monday after trade show was the opening night of legislation. The MWA with the help of our county organizations, had another wonderful seafood reception with many of the senators and delegates in attendance.  I would also like to thank all the volunteers that help put this event on.  Again without the volunteers we could not do these events.  Many thanks to the watermen that provided the fish and oyster and a special thanks to the Kent County ladies that set up and kept the food coming, and to the shuckers that kept the raw bar full.  I would also like to give a big thanks to Bevan Oyster Co for donating oysters

Wine and dine the right people to try and get what you want. It does work, SMH.
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »

That's right Mike.  It was at a crab committee meeting.  In fact,  this was brought up a couple of times in the past.  It was always voted down by the committee because starting earlier was connected to the required set time.  No one wanted it.

the standard thought of the industry has been that putting something in regulation was much better than changing or writing new laws because compared to what it takes to change a law , changing a regulation is relatively easy.  That said, a certain western shore county waterman's association decided that they would approach their legislator and get this bill written, thinking that they were doing everyone a favor.  Believe me, there was not a consensus of the industry groups.  Yes, we'd all like to start earlier, but that extra hour is not worth making set time fixed.  This is going to create alot of conflicts.   And I don't believe it is enforceable.  How will NRP be able to differentiate between someone who is going to start early, and therefore must set at start time, and someone who is going to start at regular time and can set whenever they want?

but keep in mind, this is only on those specified holidays, not all the time.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »

but keep in mind, this is only on those specified holidays, not all the time.

Yeah but the intent was to get us off the water earlier. Not happening with that bill.
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »

So you are crabbing illegally?

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »

yup!

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »

15 and going strong. You are like a bad case of CANCER that needs to go. Why the MODS put up with you is beyond belief.What is your problem? I'll bet you never had very many toy's when you were little, is that why you never grew up ? GET A LIFE ALREADY and go and catch some Crabs so you can put something on this forum besides ( not keeping FEMALE CRABS ! ) You are going to cause me to break my rule and go buy a bushel of Sooks and steam the helll out of them, give it up already.

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2017, 07:11:41 AM »

Yea but just for a little while. and i keep sooks too since my current limit is 2 bu a day. I'd keep more but i don't think i could explain that by saying i didn't know.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »

Hope the DNR doesn't monitor this site. Easy to see why there is some much concern over who's telling the truth with crab reports, LOL. But I will say  that most folks I know do what's right, but there are some who do what they want. But it happens, maybe more then we know.

Be interesting to see what happens when the DNR tries to enforce this change. Maybe technology will be used like they do with other  poachers they catch during illegal hours.  Unless they get more help, enforcement will be tough.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:42:58 AM by evinrude 130 » Logged
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »

You know nothing about the problems with the crab reports. DNR and EDF was the ones responsible for false reports by some of the watermen in Md. When DNR and hinted that they would possible go to catch shares in md as a way to manage blue crab fishery by saying that all future crab regulation would be based on current and past catch history some paniced because in the history of catch shares all it did was put a [Sam Hill] of alot of fishermen out of bussiness.Please don't bring up old ghosts that tried to make bad management worse. DNR will not enforce the other rule about start time because they can't, just like they don't now because of staffing. And i honestly wish they could.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home