October 17, 2018, 12:02:30 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee Meeting  (Read 16788 times)
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »

The bill passed and was signed.
It goes into effect July 1 IF...... And here is the big if....... The department must hold a public hearing.

If DNR drags its feet, 4th of July will be out for this year.

It also says..."Trotline gear may not be set earlier then starting time"..... So once again we have been screwed by the conservation people. They were pushing this last summer/Fall.

"Department may not adopt regulations to restrict a tidal fish licensee who catches crabs  
using trotline gear to a workday of less than 11 hours per day, including time spent setting
 or taking up gear;  
   (ii) Trotline gear may not be set earlier than the catch time
 established by the Department."

You nailed it Mike. This bill did pass, and it makes sense.  I asked about this new law last week at the TFAC. The answer was that it couldn't possibly take effect before labor day. When asked why so long after the law is on the books, the answer was they don't even begin to write the reg until the law is in effect, then after the reg is written, they have to have a public comment period before they can initiate it.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

If they hold a public hearing, who will object? A com. crabber can place gear  an hour early now .It won't matter if their crabbing  time is up an hour later or an hour earlier. If I were a recreational crabber on or a day before  a holiday and was near a com. crabber that was catching more than me , I would be happy if they had to stop crabbing an hour early so I could get in their spot to get my crabs and get home an hour early too. If the bill has already passed, I doubt they will drag their feet. It benefits both com. & recs.

I intend to object......This addition changes when I can put my trotline in the water. I usually put it in the water an hour to an hour and a half before legal starting time to make sure I have a decent lay.

The trouble it will cause, changing gear in the water legal time will be large.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »

Reds i guess we don't know but will or can this public meeting this coming Thurs. cover those changes?

Don't think so.
A public hearing has a procedure that DNR has to follow. This meeting did not follow the procedure, that I'm aware of.

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »

I don't see why? For recs. ,they can still crab until sunset. They lose no time. It gives them an extra hour earlier to jump in a commercial crabbers grave. Many Coms. want to get  the show on the road early and get done early. Beat the heat. We'll see how many crabbers don't want their cheese moved and go from there. It won't matter to me one way or the other. We're only talking a hand full of days anyway.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 05:05:43 PM »

This Bill changes the time for commercials to set their gear for the entire season, not just for the listed holidays and the day before.
It's either a big screw up, or somebody slipped it in. Since it wasn't highlighted in any way nobody caught it before it was passed.
It would be better for them not to hold the necessary public hearing until they can straighten this mess out so the Law doesn't take effect.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »

I intend to object......This addition changes when I can put my trotline in the water. I usually put it in the water an hour to an hour and a half before legal starting time to make sure I have a decent lay.

The trouble it will cause, changing gear in the water legal time will be large.

I agree Mike.  If a comm is running 7-8,000 feet, this is time that he looses crabbing while setting his line(s).  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

― John Lydgate

Whatever is decided, I'm fine with. As long as there are crabs in the Bay, what's to worry about, LOL.  When the crabs get back to the levels where people are complaining about low catches, then I'll worry again.  Belton and his crew , will do what ever they think is good.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »

I agree Mike.  If a comm is running 7-8,000 feet, this is time that he looses crabbing while setting his line(s).  
I thought you can put your trotline in the water as early as you want? You just can't start crabbing until starting time. Personally I think the crab industry's main concern here is more about getting their crabs in as early as possible. Their truckers that haul the crabs will have a hour extra head start to avoid evening work traffic to get the crabs back earlier. The crabs will be on the boat 1 hour less during the heat of the day and that could mean a lower death rate during hot and humid weather. I think they're going to be more concerned about those things than about commercial crabbers not wanting to start work an hour earlier. Of course they could change the hours for potters and not trotliners? I know plenty of potters that would rather get in an hour earlier. That wont bother their sleeping habits.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:00:40 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »

I thought you can put your trotline in the water as early as you want? You just can't start crabbing until starting time. Personally I think the crab industry's main concern here is more about getting their crabs in as early as possible. Their truckers that haul the crabs will have a hour extra head start to avoid evening work traffic to get the crabs back earlier. The crabs will be on the boat 1 hour less during the heat of the day and that could mean a lower death rate during hot and humid weather. I think they're going to be more concerned about those things than about commercial crabbers not wanting to start work an hour earlier. Or maybe they will change the hours for potters and not trotliners?

Read the bill.....It does away with the early time the gear can be put in the water......

This will create a lot of arguments as to who can crab an area. No longer can you beat a guy to a lay, by laying your gear earlier.

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 06:07:44 AM »

Read the bill.....It does away with the early time the gear can be put in the water......

This will create a lot of arguments as to who can crab an area. No longer can you beat a guy to a lay, by laying your gear earlier.

Gotcha . I missed that post. I can see where that part would be a deal breaker for some commercials with long lines.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:30:44 AM by Neither Crab » Logged

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »

thanks to all who attend the meeting.

I don't understand why they just don't let commercial crabbers crab when they want, especially if theyre going to this  Hail system. Your 8 hours is your 8 hours.

Past 8 years, seems like crabs don't bite well in the dark.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 07:38:15 AM »

thanks to all who attend the meeting.

I don't understand why they just don't let commercial crabbers crab when they want, especially if theyre going to this  Hail system. Your 8 hours is your 8 hours.

[/quot     Chris, the meeting in Annapolis is tomorrow night 6 30 pm.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »

I'm sure it will be an interesting meeting.
double E

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »

I don't understand why they just don't let commercial crabbers crab when they want, especially if theyre going to this  Hail system. Your 8 hours is your 8 hours.

[/quote]

Completely agree, with the hail in system they know and can (if they want) verify your time crabbing. Also agree on the crabs not biting well before sun up, especially early and late season.  

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »

I think the meeting Thursday 630 pm will cover sook bu limits as it relates to crew requirments and pot limits. The way the early start for trotliners is written i hope it never becomes law. Every comm tryin to set at the same time could get ugly and waste time to say the least.

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

I think the meeting Thursday 630 pm will cover sook bu limits as it relates to crew requirments and pot limits. The way the early start for trotliners is written i hope it never becomes law. Every comm tryin to set at the same time could get ugly and waste time to say the least.
That would be real combat crabbing. Not fun.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »

AGREED!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »

Meeting begins at 6, not 630.  The bill passed.  It becomes law on July 1.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »

I'm really interested in hearing how they plan to enforce this.  DNR can barely make it out by 9:00, let alone 3:00.  I saw them at 3:30 ONCE in the past 2 years.

Git 'r dun!
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2017, 09:02:08 AM »

I think that it is very commendable of a young lad like yourself to take an interest in such an important topic like this one, two thumbs up for you son !    2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  KEEP ME POSTED.

BGFISHHOOK1

Thanks man i will.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home