May 22, 2018, 02:02:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS April 1 - May 10th 2017  (Read 5238 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: May 10, 2017, 08:53:29 PM »

This is by far the worst crabbing I have ever seen here...  9 Hard Crabs...  9...  All barely legal..   Embarassed  Not a very good peeler run either..  Thought it was looking good but,,, 9 hard crabs in 6 weeks... Undecided  Last week you could walk on the floats.  I thought wow.  Gonna be good.  All the guys have pulled out of the upper PS now.   Sad Guess there really are NO crabs in VA.  Cry
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:44:56 AM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »

This is by far the worst crabbing I have ever seen here...  9 Hard Crabs...  9...  All barely legal..   Embarassed  Not a very good peeler run either..  Thought it was looking good but,,, 9 hard crabs in 6 weeks... Undecided  Last week you could walk in the floats.  I thought wow.  Gonna be good.  All the guys have pulled out of the upper PS now.   Sad Guess there really are NO crabs in VA.  Cry

It was red hot in Crisfield when the season opened and for about a month but now it has gotten real tight from what I am hearing

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »

It was red hot in Crisfield when the season opened and for about a month but now it has gotten real tight from what I am hearing

what do you mean by tight?
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »

Wow, that's horrible news.  Talk to a lady yesterday who works at a seafood place in Arbutus. She told me her boss is buying crabs from Louisiana, Their crabs are larger then MD crabs and that's what her customers want. Lady had 40 boxes of crabs delivered Tuesday for the weekend. But the supply may get smaller because shrimping is starting to happen.

But with less crabs, seems the price will get higher, funny how that works.  Anyway, hope the crabs rebound after July 4th, that's when I try my luck for some steamed crabs.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »

what do you mean by tight?

few in numbers

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 01:19:08 PM »

Sorry to hear that Jack. But the DNR winter crab survey said we would have a great crabbing year. I laugh at people ever year when they come to me with the report. I hope your season gets better.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »

Sorry to hear that Jack. But the DNR winter crab survey said we would have a great crabbing year. I laugh at people ever year when they come to me with the report. I hope your season gets better.

The survey said the females were up by 31% and the press ran with the story that the crab population was robust. They painted over that the adult males were down by 19 %, and the juveniles, which are next years crabs are in the toilet, at minus 51%.  Doesn't look good at all

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:37:30 PM »

The survey said the females were up by 31% and the press ran with the story that the crab population was robust. They painted over that the adult males were down by 19 %, and the juveniles, which are next years crabs are in the toilet, at minus 51%.  Doesn't look good at all

So how are you doing so far with crabbing ? The reports are up and down from the posts I see on BCA.

And yes, different interpretation is how many read that story in the Sunpaper.  Females bode well for the future, if they survive. Males are definitely not doing so well with all the pressure on them.

I haven't been out yet this year, I'll wait for a while unless my commercial neighbor gives me the thumps up.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »

In, things don't look good.  Sad Pulled up my pots today...  All the guys have pulled out.  Not worth the gas to go to them.  Mine where the only ones still out there..  Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:30:34 AM »

Man that is not good. I hope the fishing is better for you then.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home