September 19, 2018, 09:36:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watched a strange scene  (Read 801 times)
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »

Has anyone watched a crab crawl completely out of the water looking for food Huh
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »

Not looking for food, but I saw a smaller crab one time come out of the water to grab a discarded chicken neck that was near the edge of the water.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »

I read it somewhere that they will come out of water searching for food and thought it odd but I have never seen it myself.

Retired in paradise!
Hardshell Tony

Anyone who has crabs lacks nothing.Crabs r enough

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »

About 20 yrs.ago. we took the kids to Little Assawomen to,crab from the bulkhead. As I was putting out the handlines the 5 crabsters were running around when I heard a loud scream Dad!! Dad!! I dropped everthing and me and the wife went running. As I made it around the corner of the Pavilion,much to my surprise was 5 huge Jimmies chowing down on some chicken quarters someone left. About 40' from the water. Great start for the day.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »

You sure it was looking for food, or trying to breathe?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »

You sure it was looking for food, or trying to breathe?
This was in a fresh water retention pond that spills into the Indian River ....right in town

The 4'' sook crawled along the edge in about 3'' of water....twice it ran quickly sideways,completely out of the water and grabbed something on the sand and ran back to the water....she stopped in 3'' and sort of looked at her find and then continued along the bank and repeated the act about 10' further...she spooked to the deep when i tried to get a pic.....Also in about 15'' of water along the same bank,a line of what looked like small size grass clippings floated along the bank, pushed by the breeze....a 3'' crab would quickly rise from the bottom , grab something on the surface and quickly go down to where he could not be seen until he did it again....just like,and as fast as trout rising....seen 2 crabs doing this....one thing I learned is how good a crab can see..trying to get close to get a pic spooked all....will go back with a better camera
PS...It was about noon and I don't drink till 6.
salt hay

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:16:17 PM »

Has anyone watched a crab crawl completely out of the water looking for food Huh

Yes I was scapping once and saw multiple crabs out of the water on the sod banks. They seemed to be picking thru the grass catching grass shrimp or other small bait

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home