February 20, 2018, 04:38:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a little help  (Read 6245 times)
FLBlueCrabs

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »

I needed to keep blue crabs alive over night. I first put them in a fresh Ice water bath for 5 min to calm them. I then lined the bottom of my coolers with ice then wet news paper on top with the plug out. I lined up the crabs then added another layer of wet newspaper on top and left the lid open a little (2 1/2") . What are my chances of success? This is the first time I did this. Thanks for your help in advance.
skip4926

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »

Honestly, the best way is to keep them cool without using anything.  Ive tried what you are doing with some success, but also just placed them in a cooler in my basement with 100% success.  Cool and stress free is the way to go.   Last summer I was steaming crabs on my 2nd story porch when the lid came off and a few got out.  I thought I rounded up the escapees but low and behold one fell off the porch and I did not realize until the next morning.  The little sucker fell of the porch, walked from the back yard to the front and was hiding under my car, next to the tire.  He earned his life and I returned him to the creek.  So, there you go.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »

Yea, stored in a cool place that night so you can steam them the next day is doable. I done it. Might lose some, but not many. Storing them for more then one day could be a problem.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »

It will  be hard to find a better way then the old fashion tested way to keep crabs alive... A good'ol crab basket, wet towel or burlap over the top and place a frozen 1 gallon water bottle on top... Cool and damp is the ticket... Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home