February 22, 2018, 06:02:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commercial Crabbing Early  (Read 2583 times)
soggybottomboyz

Obama SUCKS

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »

When will commercial crabbers be allowed to begin harvesting 2 hours before sunrise?

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »

Maybe for the 3 days of the  Labor Day weekend .
soggybottomboyz

Obama SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »

It passed correct. It is my understanding the hold up is the department allowing it to happen?

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »

The hold up is the order it has to be done in and writing the reg into the books. BTW when we get to start 2 hrs early that will include setting gear so everybody will set at the same time  , not good.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »

When it does happen, expect some unhappy campers. When more then one waterman starts laying out their line in the same area, bet a discussion starts on who has the right of way. Especially in a river new to one of those crabbers.

But with cooler heads, I'd hope things could be worked out.  Be interesting though, especially on how the DNR expects to enforce the new regs with the staff they have.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »

It passed correct. It is my understanding the hold up is the department allowing it to happen?
From my understanding it has to go through the General Assembly around the middle of July. If the bill went through tomorrow it would mean starting time would be 2 hrs. early on the 4th.  too this year. From what I was told by the DNR, It is only expected to be for the 3 Hollidays next year 2018. Memorial Day & Labor Day weekend and the 4th. of July. We'll see what happens
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:17:49 PM by Neither Crab » Logged
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »

Haven't read the thing for myself. Are they changing the language so that we can't set gear until X hrs before sunrise across the board or just on these 3 holiday weekends?
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 06:50:44 AM »

Haven't read the thing for myself. Are they changing the language so that we can't set gear until X hrs before sunrise across the board or just on these 3 holiday weekends?
From what I was told it is presently for just those 3 holidays .
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 07:34:38 AM »

Whole thing sounds like a waste of time to me for just 3 weekends. I don't really understand the rationale for such a thing. Doesn't impact crab harvest in the least, doesn't improve safety on the water. If it's about reducing conflict between the two sectors and making those weekends safer why not make the rec start time later so NRP might actually be able to enforce it?
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »

Whole thing sounds like a waste of time to me for just 3 weekends. I don't really understand the rationale for such a thing. Doesn't impact crab harvest in the least, doesn't improve safety on the water. If it's about reducing conflict between the two sectors and making those weekends safer why not make the rec start time later so NRP might actually be able to enforce it?
The "industry" wanted their crabs coming in earlier for the Holidays. The DNR didn't conjure this one up.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:56:19 AM by Neither Crab » Logged

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »

The new conflict will be commercial folks now doing what recs have already been doing, just 2 hours earlier, LOL.  Never thought it was ever about the 2 sectors at all, SMH. But yea, to change regulations for just 3 holiday weekends comes across as being dumb. Somebody had deep pockets to get that change passed. But the folks with the most money involved can get that done.

As for the NRP enforcing anything that early in the morning, guess the overtime will be costly. And you know who will wind up footing the bill for that. The NRP doesn't have enough boats or people at this point to do extra enforcement from what I've heard.
Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »

The "industry" wanted their crabs coming in earlier for the Holidays. The DNR didn't conjure this one up.

then why don't the buyers just say "get your crabs in by noon."  problem solved.  Needless speculating and tax dollars saved.

Git 'r dun!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »

then why don't the buyers just say "get your crabs in by noon."  problem solved.  Needless speculating and tax dollars saved.

Customer always get what they want. But it sounds like the buyers time is more important then the crabbers time. Who's working for who?  As someone said, it's for only 3 holiday weekends so far and the regulation hasn't been put in place. DNR still has SOP to deal with.

Maybe next year?
Jimbeau

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »

Had a visit from DNR last Thursday in Crab Alley and they told me they had not heard for that change. Not sure what that means as far as when it will take place.
elkcrabber1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 05:50:15 AM »

Has anyone heard of this is going to be in effect for the Fourth of July this year

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »

Has anyone heard of this is going to be in effect for the Fourth of July this year
I think the meeting is tomorrow, (the 28th. of June 2017 AD.) We should know soon.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 05:58:49 AM »

who cares!

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »

From my understanding it has to go through the General Assembly around the middle of July. If the bill went through tomorrow it would mean starting time would be 2 hrs. early on the 4th.  too this year. From what I was told by the DNR, It is only expected to be for the 3 Hollidays next year 2018. Memorial Day & Labor Day weekend and the 4th. of July. We'll see what happens

The bill passed the General Assembly this winter.  It becomes law on July 1, 2017.  DNR  can not begin to write the regulation for this until it becomes law, which is July 1, so the 4th will not be affected.  It is possible that it will be in effect for Labor Day.  Does anyone know if there is a choice of starting 2 hrs before sun rise or continuing with the standard start time?

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Crab U Later

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »

Just left the meeting i was the only one there. The bill will take up to 94 days to be written by the department could be earlier so was told most likely wont go into effect till next year or maybe labor day. They also have a emergence action to try and push this faster but they have not herd anything yet has a 10 day window if they here something by friday it could go into effect this 4th of july. They also said nothing is going to change with the set times for trot liners that is going to stay the same as it always has. Hopefully this is true will see when the final rules are written by the department.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »

Absolute waste of time, money and resources.

No ones leaving the water on the fourth of July if they're catching crabs and Ive never met a single buyer that wouldn't except my crabs after 12 noon on the fourth or any other holiday.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home