December 14, 2018, 10:16:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What constitites a "report?"  (Read 2769 times)
Muleskinner

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »

is it really a report if it doesn't contain what tributary you caught them in? It doesn't need to give exact location but if you don't mention where you caught them it's just bragging..north/south of the BB doesn't count..can we get some rules about this? I'm not asking anyone to burn their favorite hole...just the river or trib...

CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »

You went crabbing?  That's a report. 

Asking a question or posting general info, not a report.  Just my $0.02.

23' C Hawk
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »

Moose couldn't have said it any clearer.  On another note...........

If you look at the top of each thread, you'll see something like this:

Topic: Wye/Skipton Creek 10-14-13  (Read 1477 times)

If you give the name of a tributary, you're probably burning a spot.  1,477 times?!

Throw a dart at a map, find a ledge, set some gear, enjoy the ride, and see what happens.  That's what it's all about.  It's hunting.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »

is it really a report if it doesn't contain what tributary you caught them in? It doesn't need to give exact location but if you don't mention where you caught them it's just bragging..north/south of the BB doesn't count..can we get some rules about this? I'm not asking anyone to burn their favorite hole...just the river or trib...

Thinking this post gets moved. First hint what a report is in this section.  This post comes across as discussion material.

From what I see, a report means the poster went crabbing and tells how his trip went. A report could be good or bad, but it informs other about the posters trip. The spot burning thing is interesting. Some rivers are pretty large and have many tributaries. Can't blame a poster for not revealing where he was.  Some have mentioned the river as a only clue, some say western side river, mid bay.  Those guys are to be thanked, at least we know which side of the bay they were on.

Waiting for my first trip and first report. Will have to see how to post pictures also.
Shootzie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »

Honesty on information you post or it's a waste of time to post and read

hikerman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »

I've been crabbing for 45 years. In all of these years I've learned one thing about fishing or crabbing. And, that is just get up early, hop in your boat, hope it starts and enjoy every minute no matter what you get. Just last week I did something really dumb. I crabbed outside Sandy Point outside the maze of crab pots. Caught one crab and you know what I knew better but my wife just looked at the bridge and said isn't this just a beautiful day...yes it was. One of the crabbers on this forum suggested I go further north into the Magothy or south into Whitehall Bay. That's good enough for me. Enjoy the day, that you can get out and if you hit the right spot you'll enjoy some great Maryland hard crabs.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »

I can tell you that the serious crabbers have kept logs or mental notes on many of the spots they crabbed in and what time of year they crabbed in. So those guys may tell someone " to put in the time like  I did " and you may have some answers about doing well when crabbing. Many of the older crabbers have that going for them.  Good chance they only reveal that info to only their closest friends or family members.

mbrage97

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »

Hundreds sometimes thousands of people view these posts.  Seems like more people crab recreationally every year.  General guidance is the only way to keep a spot from getting overrun and crabbed out.  If I saw a report that stated someone got a bushel in three hours - in a mid bay eastern shore creek - in 4 to 8 ft of 72 degree water - with 30 traps, I would consider that extremely helpful.

I don't want the poster to give the specific location because 500 other people now know it too.   That report above gives me some confidence things are moving in my area.  Do your own finish work.  You may be able to drop your gear where your you want because someone didn't tell everyone what river / trig / creek they crabbed.
Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

Moose couldn't have said it any clearer.  On another note...........

Topic: Wye/Skipton Creek 10-14-13  (Read 1477 times)

If you give the name of a tributary, you're probably burning a spot.  1,477 times?!

Throw a dart at a map, find a ledge, set some gear, enjoy the ride, and see what happens.  That's what it's all about.  It's hunting.

I'll have to try that sometime Mike!  Wink Grin laugh laugh laugh

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »

Thinking this post gets moved. First hint what a report is in this section.  This post comes across as discussion material.

From what I see, a report means the poster went crabbing and tells how his trip went. A report could be good or bad, but it informs other about the posters trip. The spot burning thing is interesting. Some rivers are pretty large and have many tributaries. Can't blame a poster for not revealing where he was.  Some have mentioned the river as a only clue, some say western side river, mid bay.  Those guys are to be thanked, at least we know which side of the bay they were on.

Waiting for my first trip and first report. Will have to see how to post pictures also.
Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

chef

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 06:09:55 PM »

What constitutes a report?

Up North here it constitutes a picture of a red x on a river 5-10 miles from where you are actually crabbing unless you prefer to crab with several Asian family reunions the next day.

If so I highly recommend the Vietnamese egg rolls. They are to die for.

In search of the elusive Mirelurk
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »

I think it's a good question.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »

Topic: Wye/Skipton Creek 10-14-13  (Read 1477 times)

If you give the name of a tributary, you're probably burning a spot.  1,477 times?

for what it's worth, these days there are a lot of "robots" aka "bots" that scrawl the web.  This is why every once in a while on a website you may get the "captcha" program asking you a question to validate you are an actual human posting/writing something.  

Back on topic - But a report is just simply someone who went crabbing, or fishing and also tried for crab...etc.  Not all reports are equal in my eyes as the "regulars" on this board who report (with pictures or video or just their word) tend to get my attention far more than someone who claims they caught 20 bushels out of an area that was a former Superfund dump site. 

Also there is a certain person who doesn't just report - but writes a wonderful novel about his trip and usually his grandkids.  Those are the best type of reports.  

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 08:04:31 PM »

I'll have to try that sometime Mike!  Wink Grin laugh laugh laugh

You name the day.  I'll bring the dart if you bring the map.  More importantly, I'LL BRING THE BAIT!   Wink Grin laugh

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »

Up North here it constitutes a picture of a red x on a river 5-10 miles from where you are actually crabbing unless you prefer to crab with several Asian family reunions the next day.

Yes, and it starts like this...

23' C Hawk

CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »

But ends like this...

23' C Hawk
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »

I'm always in the same place whenever I crab, and I don't mind telling you where that is.  I'm always standing by the second station in my boat, unless I walk forward to cull crabs. laugh

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
chef

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »

But ends like this...

laugh

In search of the elusive Mirelurk
Captain13

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »

That is a funny one-  I love the red X!  Question is was it the right X and did it produce.

My wife said to me - you " S-o-B, your half drunk again!" I said its not my fault, I ran out of money.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 11:02:34 AM »

Red X courtesy of Mutzy!

23' C Hawk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home