August 19, 2018, 05:24:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for blue crabs near Falmouth MA  (Read 1195 times)
Mmanzo

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »

Hello,  I would very much like to find some blue crabbing spots on land at or near Falmouth MA.   I'm just going with my kids a couple times this summer with some string and raw chicken, so we won't capture too much of the crab population.   And I will keep all tips confidential!   Thank you for your help!
chef

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:55:39 AM »

Not sure where around Falmouth. I usually crab in the western shore rivers of Buzzards Bay. I don't do this because there aren't an crabs in on the eastern shore or elsewhere on the cape but because its a 2 hour drive from NH to get to the closest blue crab waters. For me that just happens to be the western shore.

Virtually all tidal rivers on the south coast of Mass will have blue crabs in them from the RI border to Chatham. Google searching satellite images of the area you want to crab is a great way to find new "undiscovered" places to crab and is part of the fun. It also beats crabbing at well known spots (like Wareham narrows) where hundreds of people crab, keep shorts, and trash the place.

Caledonn65 crabs over your way. Maybe you can PM him, or read his crabbing reports. He hand lines a number of areas mid cape.

In search of the elusive Mirelurk
caledonn65

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »

Hi there, just had plantar plate repair surgery on my right foot so I'm out of crabbing commission for a few weeks!   I'd echo that recommendation to use Google Maps satellite mode to find crabbing spots accessible to the public.  It's well know the brackish rivers on the south coast of the Cape all have blue crabs as well as Popponesset Bay and Waquoit Bay.
womaus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »

Hi there, just had plantar plate repair surgery on my right foot so I'm out of crabbing commission for a few weeks!   I'd echo that recommendation to use Google Maps satellite mode to find crabbing spots accessible to the public.  It's well know the brackish rivers on the south coast of the Cape all have blue crabs as well as Popponesset Bay and Waquoit Bay.

Resurrecting an old thread...

Just an inquiry to callendon65 about crabbing in the Popponesset Bay area (he seems to be the most active in that area of the Cape judging from reading through this forum for the past couple of years).

How soon before the catching will be good enough to get out and try? This will be my first time crabbing in over 50 years. I'll be going down next month and most likely the first couple of weeks in June to help a friend with some painting and maintenance on his rental property.

We'll hopefully have access to a 16' aluminum w/ motor, able to access most of the areas of the Bay. Any thoughts on the better areas without giving favorite catching spots away?

I've been saving the chicken necks, carcasses over the winter. I may even be ready to make this a productive attempt...

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home