August 20, 2018, 08:36:51 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To keep or not to keep  (Read 1430 times)
lostrap

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »

There have been Knife fights over this subject and the Crabs keep coming.
The recreational Guys have a choice as do the Commercial Trappers. But then enters the Commercial Draggers like in Raritan Bay all winter that kills 1000s and only sizes determine what is kept. The Belford Co-Op is home to them and I see bushels unloaded.
For me, The Males have more meat and Tastier.
No one complains about The Sex of Lobsters and with them, the Females Taste better IMO and others. The Females have Feather like ends on their fins as the males are smooth.  Lobster fishing has all but disappeared in NJ and The Soft empty
ones from Canada are hurting States like Main.
IMO The number of Female crabs Recreational Crabbers keep do not do that much Harm.  I crab with only 5-8 Box traps for fun with my Grandsons and for the most part, give them away to the guy next to us. And will be taking my Place in Red Bank soon off the Bulkhead.
CrabbyJack

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »

In my own opinion and, once again in my opinion, i throw them back. i want as many females to reproduce as possible. I will not throw rocks at your for keeping them.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »

Depends on how hungry you are, in my opinion. If the law says you can keep them, then it legal. But if you are concerned about crabs in the future, then your conscience may give you trouble, LOL. Feed your stomach or know you are helping the future of crabs being there for years to come.

If you make your living selling what you catch, that's a different story. But don't complain if you have a lean season and don't find enough crabs to sell sometime in the future. Just my 2 cents.
rockyoutdoors

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »

I was brought up to always let them go, and I still do so today.
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »

If you keep all the males, and throw back the females, in any species, the females have no good mates.  They will mate with males of the lesser gene pool.  We've seen this in the blue crab population in the Chesapeake Bay:  females doubling with puny little 5.5" males.  30 years ago the males in a doubler were the leaders of the pack.

So, do what you want, but don't think you're better than the next guy because you threw some girls back, and kept a bushel of 7" males.  That's just as depleting as keeping the females.

Also, making statements about the recreational catch not "doing that much harm" is not fair.  Nobody knows much of anything on the recreational catch, and until catch reports are filed, nobody ever will.  But with the explosion in popularity of crabbing, and the easy access to information on the internet, only a fool would believe that the recreational take is insignificant.  There is no possible way, from a common sense standpoint, that is accurate.  You've all posted about crabbing on rivers that were so jammed that you couldn't find a space for your own gear.  But, but, I only take 2 bushels per summer... yeah, and but so is everyone else.  It adds up. Tired of all the finger pointing and its always the other's guys fault. 

Git 'r dun!

CRABCRAFT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »

I would also like to throw in my 2 cents. I think NJ may have a higher male to female ratio. My dad had a place in OC Maryland. It seemed like we would catch 1 to 1 ratio so we decided to keep a few females. However in NJ, the ratio seems different to me, so I let the females go. I have no proof that this statement is accurate, I only offer my opinion as a person that's been on the water for over 40 + years   

Dead all Day  long
luv jerzeeblues
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »

I throw the girls back, when my catch is decent. If I'm having trouble getting a dozen or if I'm looking to get as many crabs as possible, for a get together, I'll keep big females. It would probably be good for the crab population, if people threw most of the females back, but if it's legal to keep them, each person can decide for themselves, what to do. There shouldn't be a stigma attached, just because someone keeps female crabs.
crayzed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »

I would also like to throw in my 2 cents. I think NJ may have a higher male to female ratio. My dad had a place in OC Maryland. It seemed like we would catch 1 to 1 ratio so we decided to keep a few females. However in NJ, the ratio seems different to me, so I let the females go. I have no proof that this statement is accurate, I only offer my opinion as a person that's been on the water for over 40 + years   
yup that's what your opinion is worth! nah 2 cents is a little high!
taxman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »

yup that's what your opinion is worth! nah 2 cents is a little high!

Your 4th post is to bash somebody???

Contributor of the year

falconnj

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »

If I'm going to pay $80-100 bucks for a boat I will keep every LEGAL crab.  There are exceptions, of course.    If the females are too lean, they would go back.  If I caught enough males, a lot of the females would go back.  But if the pickings are lean I keep them and into the steamer they go!

lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »

Got you all beat Since my crabbing is recreational and to keep my grandsons interested in Fishing. IMO the crabs we catch in the Navasink and Raritan Bay Shore are so Dirty full of Scum growth on the underside that they have to be deshelled scrubbed before you even think about Steaming or Boiling them or you wind up with Muddy stinky water. and meat contaminated with that Water. No Thanks
For $30 average I buy Maryland Lump Crab in the 1 LB can. problem solved.
Boat Bait Motor Travel & expenses $200.
If I was further South on Manasquan I might keep and cook what we catch.
My grandsons Call the Crabs BP Exon Appetizers  laugh
chef

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »

The males prefer the lower salt level of the rivers, females prefer the saltier water near the ocean. Ive crabbed ocean city a number of times years ago and always caught tons of females. I would say that in the assawoman bay its probably an average of 3:1 females to males with tons of sponge crabs throughout the season.

In search of the elusive Mirelurk
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »

There have been Knife fights over this subject and the Crabs keep coming.
The recreational Guys have a choice as do the Commercial Trappers. But then enters the Commercial Draggers like in Raritan Bay all winter that kills 1000s and only sizes determine what is kept. The Belford Co-Op is home to them and I see bushels unloaded.
For me, The Males have more meat and Tastier.
No one complains about The Sex of Lobsters and with them, the Females Taste better IMO and others. The Females have Feather like ends on their fins as the males are smooth.  Lobster fishing has all but disappeared in NJ and The Soft empty
ones from Canada are hurting States like Main.
IMO The number of Female crabs Recreational Crabbers keep do not do that much Harm.  I crab with only 5-8 Box traps for fun with my Grandsons and for the most part, give them away to the guy next to us. And will be taking my Place in Red Bank soon off the Bulkhead.

Female lobsters that have eggs are supposed to be notched and released.  Then when caught in the future (regardless if it has eggs or not) are supposed to be released.  The idea being a lobster that successfully carried eggs, will do so again in the future.  Google V notch.  I believe this only applies in ME and MA.  So there is a somewhat built-in mechanism that reduces the number of female lobsters that show up in restaurants.  

One thing you didn't mention - female crabs taken for the picking industry (like Jm Clayton).  here's a pic of JM Clayton cooking barrel....they cook a lot of those on a daily basis.  

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »

Female lobsters that have eggs are supposed to be notched and released.  Then when caught in the future (regardless if it has eggs or not) are supposed to be released.  The idea being a lobster that successfully carried eggs, will do so again in the future.  Google V notch.  I believe this only applies in ME and MA.  So there is a somewhat built-in mechanism that reduces the number of female lobsters that show up in restaurants.  

One thing you didn't mention - female crabs taken for the picking industry (like Jm Clayton).  here's a pic of JM Clayton cooking barrel....they cook a lot of those on a daily basis.  

I think the difference in crabs and lobsters are that lobsters can live much longer than a crab.  If I remember correctly, crabs are 3-4 years whereas a lobster can live as much as 100 years.  Not sure how long they can produce though

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home