August 16, 2018, 07:17:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning Crabs before they go in the Pot  (Read 5563 times)
lostrap

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »

The areas I crab Raritan. Navesink. Shrewsbury. The majority of the Crabs have a very Heavy Thick Marine growth on their bottom side left and right.  It is impossible to cook them with this on the shells. Water turns muddy and a pain to break apart and scrub it off.
What do you do?

rab the bottom
Crabmst
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »

Hi, It sounds like you are boiling them. They are much better steamed. When you steam them, just put them in the pot, cover with Old Bay, J.O's, or whatever other crab seasoning you have. (I am assuming you are cooking male crabs) You are going to be peeling the shells off anyway when you eat them, so don't worry too much about the stuff on the bottom. Unless of course it is some really nasty new funk that is out there :-)
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »

Hi, It sounds like you are boiling them. They are much better steamed. When you steam them, just put them in the pot, cover with Old Bay, J.O's, or whatever other crab seasoning you have. (I am assuming you are cooking male crabs) You are going to be peeling the shells off anyway when you eat them, so don't worry too much about the stuff on the bottom. Unless of course it is some really nasty new funk that is out there :-)

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 08:19:15 AM »

[/quote

Thanks for the reply will try a few steamed. Market crabs seem to be cleaner.
You are in Elkton Uncle had Dairy Farm in Chesapeake City just south of the Bridge on the right-hand side of the highway. A road alongside ran down to the water where a Marina was built, Crabbed there as a Kid Now 76 Might add there was no bridge over the canal just a Ferry. Bill
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »

[/quote

Thanks for the reply will try a few steamed. Market crabs seem to be cleaner.
You are in Elkton Uncle had Dairy Farm in Chesapeake City just south of the Bridge on the right-hand side of the highway. A road alongside ran down to the water where a Marina was built, Crabbed there as a Kid Now 76 Might add there was no bridge over the canal just a Ferry. Bill
Bill:

It is so refreshing to read a post from someone that is as old as I am and can remember how it was back then when we were kids. As far as pre - cleaning crabs verses just steaming them there is not too much difference in the taste of the crab meat either way that you do it. The big difference is the pre - clean way seasoning is on the crab meat, the shell on method seasoning is transferred from the shell to your your fingers onto the crab meat when picking them. I will say this though there is only one way to " COOK " a crab and it is " NOT " in water. " STEAMING CRAB IS THE  ONLY WAY " to do crabs, I have been doing the pre - clean method since the mid 1970 s but if there is a crab feast somewhere where the crab is " ALWAYS " STEAMED "  IN THE SHELL " I am going to eat my fill of them, when doing them for myself the shell always comes off that is my option right or wrong. remember this THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SKIN A CAT ! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Get it on !

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »

The areas I crab Raritan. Navesink. Shrewsbury. The majority of the Crabs have a very Heavy Thick Marine growth on their bottom side left and right.  It is impossible to cook them with this on the shells. Water turns muddy and a pain to break apart and scrub it off.
What do you do?

Just rinse them off(as is) and steam them. I've seen dirty crabs, just hose them off to get the sand or mud off them. Steam them as others have already said. If cooked properly, the crab meat should be fine. The heat kills anything bad on the crab. Your picking the meat out of the crab, so it should be white and tasty.

Remember, crabs eat dead things and still have a awesome taste. Something to think about, LOL.

rab the bottom
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »

GREAT INFORMATION KUDOS TO YOU OUTBOARD !  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Get it on !
lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »

Last time I boiled them from those areas mentioned the Water turned to MUD No BS A NJ guy said to break off the Claws Brush Scrub them.
Think I will do both I think U would to if U ever saw them will have to post a photo maybe end of week if I go Grandsons want some action even if we give them away 
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »

So sorry but if you are BOILING THEM then you are doing it all wrong STEAM THEM there is a big difference. I'm sorry but the only people that I know of who BOILS CRABS is someone who don't know how to " STEAM - CRABS HuhHuh? MOST Seafood is STEAMED -- CRABS , OYSTERS, Clams, Lobster, and many many more THEY ARE ALL STEAMED NOT BOILED IN WATER ! Someone is jerking your chain and laughing at you.

Get it on !
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »

I guess you've never been to N'awlins.     Cool

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »

I guess you've never been to N'awlins.     Cool
You guessed right and if they BOIL crabs I don't want any. My wife and I used to get up to 500 pounds of fresh boat run shrimp from Wilmington North Carolina from a local waterman. We would bring them back to Pa where we had orders for them. We done this for about 8 years. Now the point, the very first year we went there to find a shrimper we found one right on the dock. These guys were de heading shrimp. I met with the owner and set up a contact with him to get shrimp each year. Anyways we bought  25 pounds of shrimp from him and one of the guys that was helping to de head shrimp asked me how we prepare our shrimp so I told him that we wash them and them put them in a pot with a little water and place a strainer in it then sprinkle them with Old Bay seasoning  and steam them. He said I like to bol em in da shel wit a bag of shrimp bol. I am not trying to defend the way that I steam crabs but I am willing to bet any one that out of 100 people who prepare crabs STEAM YHEM maybe 2 out of that 100 boil them in water !

Get it on !
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 05:07:28 PM »

I'd have to say that Capt Ron sure knows how to boil a crab. They were mighty delicious last year at the Wye Party. It does take a little skill and know how to get it just right. So, I no longer frown upon those who boil. I just think it's much easier to get the steaming correct then to even try and boil.
Crabmst
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »

I believe boiling them in water is a NJ thing
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »

HOO RAH , You might be right. If I caught crabs that looked as bad as he said they were I would look for another place to crab, I've caught hundreds of " BLACK CRABS " but none like he described. common sense applied here.

Get it on !
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »

This is how my crabs die.

Get it on !

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »

I'm from NJ, and I steam.  Boiling isn't a "NJ thing", it's a southern thing.  Although crab from questionable  waters need to be boiled........in disinfectant....Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:55:43 PM by Crab Shack » Logged

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »

HOO RAH , You might be right. If I caught crabs that looked as bad as he said they were I would look for another place to crab,

How bad is it Roll Eyes let me explain You may or may not know these areas. - Will start with The Navisnk Redbank NJ the area is plagued with Raw Sewage Discharges and PCB Heavy Storm Drainage Bunker and fish die-offs from low oxygen. The crabs there have very thick, Brown Marine growth. They dredged that area and had to create a landfill on site rather than ship the Toxic materials out. The Shrewsbury River is No better

Next Belford Commercial Creek  In Short Even Worse/

Enter Raritan River - Bay Shore and feeder Creeks  You be the Judge Over the years National Lead. Anaconda Copper. BP - Esso ( Exon ) Constant raw sewage from 2 Giant Plants. Steel Smelting Plant . Hercules Powder Heavy Arsenic Contamination with closed shorelines - Author Kill Chemical & Dirty Power Plants Waters So bad that a complete Fishing and swimming ban has been in place for decades.

All these are very Popular Crabbing and Fishing spots even some public Beaches Some areas I do fish and Crab but Never retain anything even bring Rubber gloves for GrandKids and Soap to wash their hands I do not let them handle the crabs for fear they get a Puncture wound. or Fin Wound.   I got in many arguments about keeping anything with Answers like I have been eating everything for there for years and I am Ok  REALLY  Nj has Fish eating advisory. most with one serving a Month Zero for Kids and Pregnant woman.  Shellfish only from Deploration Plants
Why do I bother Just Catch and Release? I like my crab from Maryland in a Container Jumbo Lump or Claw for Cakes. Christfield Preferred.
lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »

I'm from NJ, and I steam.  Boiling isn't a "NJJ thing", it's a southern thing.  Although crab from questionable  waters need to be boiled........in disinfectant....Cheesy

Darn That is the Truth but Sad as My memories are all good Crabbing and Fishing in NJ From Cape May to Newark Bay. Yep even Newark Bay By GE Plant 
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »

Darn That is the Truth but Sad as My memories are all good Crabbing and Fishing in NJ From Cape May to Newark Bay. Yep even Newark Bay By GE Plant  
This all started with boiling crabs in dirty muddy water and it ended up with eating crabs from unsafe waters. I agree with you on eating crab- meat from the Chesapeke, Crisfield in particular. Those that have been eating crabs contaminated with heavy metals only have to " wait " before you see those results of eating garbage. It takes time but it will surly happen with joint pain ,blurred vision, and a host of other ailments from eating crabs that are feeding on other aquatic species that have died from those dirty waters. The questions are not how to cook a crab, rather how to eat a sick crab from dirty waters? The true answer is DON'T DO IT, CRAB SOMEPLACE THAT IS STILL RELATIVELY CLEAN . Thank You LOSTRAP FOR THE FINAL ANSWER ! Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

P.S. Who remembers LOVE CANAL ?

Get it on !
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »

My father ate crabs alot longer then i have and a good amount of them were from the habor and up by harbor hosp. back in the day when no one knew or cared about heavy metals and other industrial pollution. He lined to be 84 with no great ailments to speak of and finally pasted away from dehydration during a very hot early summer and not drinking enough water. We never CBC and always ate the good stuff. Remember ,no one here gets out alive, you gotta live life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home