August 14, 2018, 04:35:58 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Season Shortened in Virginia, Maryland  (Read 7281 times)
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »

If they open the season May 1st. and close it Oct. 31 st Maybe we''ll get somewhere with this .
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:46 PM »

If they open the season May 1st. and close it Oct. 31 st Maybe we''ll get somewhere with this .
[/quote

Worth a try, better then shutting the season completely down. But me thinks there will be a lot of opposition to it.  LOL

Money talks, that's why the holiday crab times were changed(wink, wink). Losing 2 months of crabbing would not sit well with folks. $$$$
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »

I'm not going to get into the Bay crabbing debate but I will say this.  After the BP disaster the wildlife and fisheries (your DNR) did NOTHING to protect the crabbing industry.  Now, 2017 the crabbing season was shut down for 30 days.  Never before has the crab population been this low.  I personally had to get out of the commercial crabbing industry.  JMO here it is to little to late.  LW&F shut down the season in Feb and Mar when there aren't a lot of crabbers crabbing and the crabs still haven't popped up from the mud yet.

My question would be "WILL 10 DAYS BE ENOUGH" ?  Will it make a difference?  How many crabs are harvested during that time of the year?

We have to protect the resources (crabs) so they (crabs) will be here for tomorrow.  But don't half step!  Do it right the first time!

But we all know POLITICS will play the biggest part and we the consumer and/or fisherman will lose.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 01:41:50 PM »

I'm not going to get into the Bay crabbing debate but I will say this.  After the BP disaster the wildlife and fisheries (your DNR) did NOTHING to protect the crabbing industry.  Now, 2017 the crabbing season was shut down for 30 days.  Never before has the crab population been this low.  I personally had to get out of the commercial crabbing industry.  JMO here it is to little to late.  LW&F shut down the season in Feb and Mar when there aren't a lot of crabbers crabbing and the crabs still haven't popped up from the mud yet.

My question would be "WILL 10 DAYS BE ENOUGH" ?  Will it make a difference?  How many crabs are harvested during that time of the year?

We have to protect the resources (crabs) so they (crabs) will be here for tomorrow.  But don't half step!  Do it right the first time!

But we all know POLITICS will play the biggest part and we the consumer and/or fisherman will lose.

Ronnie

Is it politics or who has the money to influence?  Doing something at this point is better then going with status quo. Problem is, the results from what's being done won't be tallied up for many years. There is no overnight fix.

For me, I'll just be upset about not catching enough crabs to eat in the future. For those who depend on it for a living, better start figuring out a new way to make money. Unless your local government subsidizes you. Like all businesses, sometimes things happen that affects what you do for a living. You either hang in there and hope it returns. Or find another way to make a living.
twharrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »

The report is actually a fascinating read and is encouraging overall. Exploitation fractions of both males and females (i.e. The fished fractions) are well below the emergency target thresholds and over-winter deaths for both sexes are very low. I think the estimated numbers of juvenile crabs has to be takes with a huge grain of salt as there is absolutely no pattern or correlation I can see comparing one year to the next. If anything the juvenile numbers seem to fluctuate quite regularly (see Appendix A of the report).

Interestingly, even the study suggests/admits that they need better juvenile data (section 8.3:

"Based on the 2011 stock assessment and field experiments by VIMS and the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, a large fraction of juvenile blue crabs in shallow water is not sampled by the WDS. VIMS is actively pursuing funding at the state level to conduct a shallow- water survey concurrent with the Virginia WDS to assess the potential for interannual bias in the fraction of juveniles not sampled by the WDS. CBSAC will discuss applying this effort Baywide based on funding and based on initial findings if the Virginia survey moves forward."

Here's the link to the actual report:
http://www.chesapeakebay.net/publications/title/cbsacs_2017_chesapeake_bay_blue_crab_advisory_report

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home