May 27, 2018, 11:57:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Season Shortened in Virginia, Maryland  (Read 6470 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: June 28, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »

http://www.wboc.com/story/35767802/crab-season-shortened-in-virginia-maryland

Crab Season Shortened in Virginia, Maryland
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 9:08 AM EST
Updated: Jun 28, 2017 9:08 AM EST

(Photo: WBOC)

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP)- Maryland and Virginia will end their respective crabbing seasons early this year, following a report indicating a drop in the Chesapeake Bay blue crab population.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources announced Tuesday that its crab season will end Nov. 20, 10 days earlier than 2016's extended season. The Virginia Marine Resources Commission voted 6-1 in a public hearing to end the season Nov. 30 and reopen it March 17, 2018, amounting to 16 fewer days than last year's extended season.

Each state also imposed late-season bushel limits.

The crabbing curb comes after the Chesapeake Bay Program released a report Monday that stated juvenile crab numbers had fallen 54 percent over the past year, resulting in an 18 percent drop in the overall blue crab population.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »

The VA part makes me laugh...  Close 11/30 (always did).  Open 3/17 (always did, except this year which opened 3/1.)   laugh 

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »

http://www.wboc.com/story/35767802/crab-season-shortened-in-virginia-maryland

Crab Season Shortened in Virginia, Maryland
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 9:08 AM EST
Updated: Jun 28, 2017 9:08 AM EST

(Photo: WBOC)

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP)- Maryland and Virginia will end their respective crabbing seasons early this year, following a report indicating a drop in the Chesapeake Bay blue crab population. md made this anouncment back in april when the dredge survey was made public. why was no one listening then.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources announced Tuesday that its crab season will end Nov. 20, 10 days earlier than 2016's extended season. The Virginia Marine Resources Commission voted 6-1 in a public hearing to end the season Nov. 30 and reopen it March 17, 2018, amounting to 16 fewer days than last year's extended season.

Each state also imposed late-season bushel limits.

The crabbing curb comes after the Chesapeake Bay Program released a report Monday that stated juvenile crab numbers had fallen 54 percent over the past year, resulting in an 18 percent drop in the overall blue crab population.
craberman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »

Same story every year at this time. Do they think cutting season off 10 days early will do anything. Not many crabbers are still at it that time of year.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »

These people are scratching their heads and asking for more money, and we keep giving it to them.

unbelievable!

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »

Chris, make no mistake, we don't GIVE them anything, they just keep taking money and giving it to some bad causes.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »

This is what I think of the DNR's decision...
Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »

So let me get this straight... a few years ago when it was absolutely terrible when compared to previous years, they did nothing.  And then this year seems halfway decent, so they decide to cut the season short. Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Git 'r dun!
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »

Actually, the Maryland season will close on December 15th, just like always.  What's closing is the female commercial harvest, on Nov 20th instead of last years date on November 30th.  I don't know why the press runs with inaccurate information, unless they are being provided incorrect or inaccurate info by the current administration

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »

These people are scratching their heads and asking for more money, and we keep giving it to them.

unbelievable!
AGREED 100%  The same thing happens everywhere all of the States ask more money for licenses or permits but they do not give you any more in return. our State has now made it that you must purchase a Pheasant permit to hunt them, that was always part of your licenses when you purchased them, and then these knuckleheads ask WHY HAS LICENSES SALES DROPPED OFF ? DUH ?? Our state had 2,800 vehicles for 1,500 Wildlife Officers to drive until someone called and asked why the extra vehicles ? So they sold some of them. there is not a shortage of funds but there seems that their is a shortage of brains when it comes to spending those funds. It all boils down to the Cave-mans theory THE GUY WITH THE BIGGEST STICK GETS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF MEAT ! That will never change, It's called GREED !
I once heard a joke that went like this  " It is hard to remind oneself that the main objective was to drain the swamp until you are up to your asss in Alligators ! Try as you might you can never get back what you have lost !

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »

Chris, make no mistake, we don't GIVE them anything, they just keep taking money and giving it to some bad causes.
X2

Get it on !
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »

Dis-information and word of mouth is problematic in the industry. Have to go to the right source to get the truth.
http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/06/27/modest-changes-coming-to-marylands-commercial-crab-harvest/

Key words are "modest and important".   Harvesting will close Nov. 20, and bushel levels for the month of November will be reduced compared to the previous harvest year.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »

AGREED 100%  The same thing happens everywhere all of the States ask more money for licenses or permits but they do not give you any more in return. our State has now made it that you must purchase a Pheasant permit to hunt them, that was always part of your licenses when you purchased them, and then these knuckleheads ask WHY HAS LICENSES SALES DROPPED OFF ? DUH ?? Our state had 2,800 vehicles for 1,500 Wildlife Officers to drive until someone called and asked why the extra vehicles ? So they sold some of them. there is not a shortage of funds but there seems that their is a shortage of brains when it comes to spending those funds. It all boils down to the Cave-mans theory THE GUY WITH THE BIGGEST STICK GETS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF MEAT ! That will never change, It's called GREED !
I once heard a joke that went like this  " It is hard to remind oneself that the main objective was to drain the swamp until you are up to your asss in Alligators ! Try as you might you can never get back what you have lost !

At least your state has pheasants

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »

Dis-information and word of mouth is problematic in the industry. Have to go to the right source to get the truth.
http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/06/27/modest-changes-coming-to-marylands-commercial-crab-harvest/

Key words are "modest and important".   Harvesting will close Nov. 20, and bushel levels for the month of November will be reduced compared to the previous harvest year.

Female harvest will close on Nov 20.  The following is the first paragraph of the link you posted.

Following weeks of scientific review and discussion among key stakeholders, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources is making modest but important changes to the commercial harvesting of Chesapeake Bay female hard crabs later this season.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »

They must think a 105,000 + Maryland licensed recreational crabbers + 10,000 + - Maryland Commercial crabbers are stupid? All of them. I guess they don't know what else to do. If they changed the season from May 1st to October 31st. and reduced the total crab limits, male and female  for all there would be a total uproar. If the crabs disappear they can always blame it on the weather or "other" predators. Too cold, too hot, too rainy , the winds blew the wrong way . The Rock fish , skates, red drum, etc. ate them all. Overharvesting by crabbers had absolutely nothing to do with it. BTW Back then, Crabbers pulled their pots in September and  went clamming or oystering. The commercial fishing was so profitable in the winter/spring that many watermen didn't have to crab in the summer . They took off the whole summer. They felt that crabbing money was chump change. When the  clams, oysters , rock fish and shad started to disapper, they had to crab harder and longer to make a living as a waterman. That's how we got to where we are today.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:57:36 PM by Neither Crab » Logged

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »

Being proactive never really has happened much. Have to have a plan, even if it turns out wrong. I'm glad the DNR is seizing the bull by the horns(so to speak) and taking steps to improve the crab population for the future. We'll see if these steps are the correct ones to take several years from now. 

Not sure what money folks are talking about. I will gladly pay an increase to be able to be on the water and catch fish and crabs.  The money I spend is small compared to what it would cost me to buy from a store or restaurant. It is what it is.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »

EVENRUDE : I like your train of thought, something really has to be done to turn things around before it is too late. Curbing the taking of the female crab may be a start but it is not the whole picture, there must be a balance here whatever that might be. I feel that we all must contribute if the treasures of the Chesapeake is to be saved for future generations to come. I am sitting on the very threshold of life and I may never catch another Blue Crab from those beautiful waters but I can hold my head high knowing that I helped in a small way by contributing money to the Save the Bay Foundation for the cleanup of those waters. I never abused that Bay and only took a very small amount when I used to crab there. I mostly along with my wife went to Crab Feasts when they were held at the American Legion at Port Deposit Maryland and we bought many dozens of crabs from Hopkins Crab house along the river at Port Deposit before they closed a few years back. What I am saying is I done my best to be a good  Stewart of the bay and contributed to the cleanup of those precious waters, lest we forget WE ALL LIVE DOWN STREAM FROM SOMEONE.  Here is a piece that I wrote down from a writing that I found many, many years ago that speaks volumes  " Man is the web of life whatever man does to the web he does to himself "  That will never change my friend how sad.

Get it on !
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »

Being proactive never really has happened much. Have to have a plan, even if it turns out wrong. I'm glad the DNR is seizing the bull by the horns(so to speak) and taking steps to improve the crab population for the future. We'll see if these steps are the correct ones to take several years from now. 

Not sure what money folks are talking about. I will gladly pay an increase to be able to be on the water and catch fish and crabs.  The money I spend is small compared to what it would cost me to buy from a store or restaurant. It is what it is.
Not this weekend... Bought 80 bucks worth of peelers and only got one keeper...   Wink Grin laugh Fed a lot of perch and catfish.   Grin

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »

Not this weekend... Bought 80 bucks worth of peelers and only got one keeper...   Wink Grin laugh Fed a lot of perch and catfish.   Grin

Perch are the better eating fish in my opinion. $80 of peelers seems excessive, especially if you are a waterman. Couldn't get some sort of deal?  Rockfish are the better fighting fish and sought after more.  Small spinners cast along the shoreline with perching rods can be fun.

Guess you charter and took out a bunch of people?
reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:31 PM »

Female harvest will close on Nov 20.  The following is the first paragraph of the link you posted.

Following weeks of scientific review and discussion among key stakeholders, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources is making modest but important changes to the commercial harvesting of Chesapeake Bay female hard crabs later this season.

Tidal Fish Commission voted to close the female crab season on Nov 20th.

Male season will go until Dec 15th.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home