November 18, 2018, 08:09:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question from newbie re: Crabbing from Bridge  (Read 1138 times)
Schinz1068

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »

Hello all...I am fairly new to crabbing and have a question.  I was crabbing from a bridge in NJ the other day and a guy joined me on my bridge about halfway through.  I was using 3 ring traps and one box trap with chicken thighs.  He was using all box traps, however, he was winding up and throwing them as far out as he could.  I was simply dropping them straight down.  Depth would have been about the same as we were both about halfway across the bridge.  I asked him why he was throwing them so far out and he said because all the crabs don't necessarily like to be so close to the bridge.  This just didn't sound right to me so I thought I would ask on here, where there are so many experienced crabbers!!!  Thanks!1
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »

Makes no sence but the proof would be how did you catch as compared to him?
Schinz1068

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »

No difference whatsoever.  Things had really slowed down by the time he got there and he and I both were bringing in next to nothing every pull at that point....but he kept throwing them as far as he could!!
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »

When I got to the Choptank River(MD)  and crab off of Bill Burton  Pier I tend to toss mine out a little further from the bridge. I don't want to risk getting caught up in all the junk at the bottom near the base of the bridge and pylons. I took a grappling hook down there about ten days ago and was pulling up old traps next to the bridge. Also, I do tend to find that I catch more crabs with the traps away from the structure also.
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »

The real question would be why are you wasting the best part of the chicken on crabs? Give them necks. They'll be just as happy.

Schinz1068

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »

My wife had found a sale on thighs for 99 cents a pound and bought several packages.  I am new to this and don't really know where to find the necks.  I saw a youtube video showing an experiment that seemed to prove that fish was a much better bait than chicken.  Anyone else find one much better over the other?
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »

Bunker works as good as chicken. Some days it outproduces chicken, some days chicken will do better. I also have been to some rivers where bunker will only catch turtles.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:30:03 PM »

Depends on where the crabs are. Sometimes a few feet can make a huge difference. I have crabbed and 3 handline or traps will produce crab after crab but the next 3 will only catch one once in a while. I think fish works better earlier in the year and chicken works just as well later in the year.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
johnnyjet

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »

I know that when I crab the Mantoloking Bridge I tend to throw out to the deeper spot in search of running water. Running water will always have way more Quality crabs than the still water shallows...   
Schinz1068

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »

Yes, I agree, but in this case we were in the middle of the bridge that crossed the creek, so the running water was running right below us running perpendicular.  I was really already over the running current and over the deepest spot...that's what confused me. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home