February 24, 2018, 10:41:35 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing Regulations Late  (Read 1029 times)
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »

Who wants to do the math on this one? The Crab season will be closed early this year by 10 days( Nov. 20). However,both Maryland and Virginia  extended the season by 3 weeks last year. This sounds like 3 steps backwards and now 1 step forward as a correction to me. Female limits will also be reduced in November.. There were half as many juvenile crabs in the bay this year compared to last. Almost a 100 million fewer crabs in all. The Chesapeake Bay crab population fell from 550 million crabs in 2016 to 455 million this year,2017. Virginia is also "expected " to set an earlier closing date but nothing was mentioned in this Wednesdays.,June 28 2017 Baltimore Sun article about a reduction in Females for Virginia. The article goes on to say The decision caps off an annual process that had become controversial when Belton fired Brenda Davis , the states longtime crab fishery manager in February .Watermen and environmentalists said they believed Brenda Davis was fired because many crabbers viewed her as inflexible to their requests that harvest rules be loosened. I hope, Brenda Davis will either be made whole or given the choice to receive full early retirement.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »

A couple of things: In Maryland, If the crab season is closing 10 days early this year,on Nov. 20, then the regular close would be on Nov. 30th.  The press has this flat out wrong. The regular close date is Dec. 15th and that is the closing date this year too.  What is closing 10 days early is the commercial harvest of females.
   Next, it wasn't "many crabbers" that thought Brenda wasn't flexible, it was two handfuls of crabbers on the lower Eastern Shore who were mad because Brenda delivered the DNR message that they couldn't harvest the 5" crabs for the whole season

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »

I agree  with all but  It would be Dec. 5th. if closing is Dec. 15
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:37:31 PM »

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has proposed new regulations to help rebuild blue crab population.

According to DNR the new recreational and commercial harvest regulations would help rebuild the Chesapeake Bay blue crab population and fishery. The regulations are designed to reduce female blue crab harvest by 34 percent this year. Governor Martin O’Malley opined that new action needed to be taken to ensure that Maryland’s iconic blue crab and the economy it supports continue to be important parts of our culture for generations to come.

He also said that the historic cooperation and coordination between Maryland, Virginia and the Potomac River Fisheries Commission has created an unparalleled opportunity to protect and restore our shared blue crab resource. According to him the proposed emergency regulations for the 2008 Chesapeake Bay commercial blue crab fishery include an early closure to the season for harvesting female crabs and catch limits on female crabs earlier in the fall.

The regulations for the 2008 Chesapeake Bay recreational fishery prohibit any female blue crab harvest. John R. Griffin, DNR secretary, told that protecting female blue crabs by reducing recreational and commercial harvests represents the best opportunity for the quickest rebound. He said that more than 500 individual comments have been submitted on blue crab management to the DNR since it initiated a public comment process in February. He informed that DNR will hold two public hearings on the regulatory proposal one in May and other in June.

Seems to me the DNR is just going back to the regulations in place before watermen wanted the latest changes.  Which was more catching of females, larger quota's.  So with the juvenile numbers down, the scientists equate the larger quota of females was wrong. Should not have changed anything until more data over a several year period was gathered.

Found this on another forum

Looks like female harvest is being increased again this year;

Last years regs with an explanation of under harvest target;

The daily commercial mature female hard crab bushel limits beginning July 1, 2015 to November 10, 2015 are as follows:

Bushel Limits by License Type
 Season LCC TFL or CB3 TFL with CB6 or CB3 with CB6 TFL with CB9 or CB3 with CB9
 July 1 - Aug 31 2 7 13 17
 Sept 1 - Sept 30 5 17 26 35
 Oct 1 - Oct 31 5 18 27 36
 Nov 1 - Nov 10 5 8 22 32

Mature female hard crab bushel limits and closure periods are being revised based on harvest levels, which have been below the established target for 7 consecutive years, and the results of the 2014-2015 winter crab dredge survey conducted by the MDNR and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science.

2016 regs with no explanation and 3 full months added;

The daily commercial mature female hard crab bushel limits for 2016 are as follows:
 Daily Mature Female Bushel Limits by License Type
 Season LCC TFL or CB3 TFL with CB6 or CB3 with CB6 TFL with CB9 or CB3 with CB9
 April 1 - May 31 2 5 8 15
 June 1-Aug 31 2 9 13 17
 Sept 1-Sept 30 5 17 26 35
 Oct 1 - Oct 31 5 18 27 36
 Nov 1 - Nov 10 5 8 22 32

Mature female hard crab bushel limits and closure periods are subject to change based on results of the 2015-2016 winter crab dredge survey (available early May) conducted by the MDNR and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science

Thinking there won't be any more changes for several years in regards to catching more females. If the juvenile numbers don't increase and the male crabs keep getting the pressure we are seeing, maybe  some kind of moratorium on crabs is in the near future,   LA shut down for a month this year and the next 2 years also .  If their  program reveals good results, maybe expect the same thing to happen in MD.
 I'm all for starting the crab season in May.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:55:04 PM by evinrude 130 » Logged
im2fast4you33

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »

I dont know about anyone else, im seeing just as many little ones on my line as i did last year....shortage my a**

reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »

I dont know about anyone else, im seeing just as many little ones on my line as i did last year....shortage my a**

All just a plan by DNR to install ITQ's. 

I wonder how the top DNR guys licenses will fair with the ITQ's? Probably just as well or better then their Rockfish allocations did!!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »

There's a lot of angry people with rockfish endorsements

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 01:21:24 AM »

There's a lot of angry people with rockfish endorsements

And a few happy DNR employees that got large quotas, when the ITQ's went into effect.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home