September 25, 2018, 08:52:44 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Rookie Review" what did I do wrong?  (Read 2986 times)
Kenny 2 guns

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »

Arrived at the Wye today July 1st around 6:15am with the company of my teenage daughter. Put in my new to me 14' aluminum V hull boat. Gas motor wouldn't start so went to plan B, my electric trolling motor. Setup in the cove directly across from Schnaitman's as I didn't want to travel to far with one battery and the trolling motor. Setup my also new to me 600' trotline with chicken necks, turkey necks and chicken gizzards. On each end I used a broke rotor, 25' of line, 3 1 gallon jugs, 25' of line, 14 links of heavy galvanized chain and of course the trotline. Adjusted the line multiple times and moved once. It seems I was having trouble getting the line straight and keeping it on the bottom. Not 1 crab sighting, very disappointing trip.

I did get the gas motor running after I spoke to Old Willie, a regular down around those parts who suggested I check the vent on the gas cap. Thanks Willie! As I said, I'm new to boat ownership and trotline ownership. Please advise and have a great day!
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »

What size rotors and what size "heavy" galvanized chain? If your anchors aren't heavy enough and if your chain is too heavy you will drag the anchors every time you go to run the line. This will cause slack and the line will either come straight up or maybe even from behind your roller/stick.
Kenny 2 guns

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »

What size rotors and what size "heavy" galvanized chain? If your anchors aren't heavy enough and if your chain is too heavy you will drag the anchors every time you go to run the line. This will cause slack and the line will either come straight up or maybe even from behind your roller/stick.

The brake rotors are 10" which I believe came off of a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
The chain is 3/8" galvanized, 14 links equivalent to about 1'6".

Edit: I think I answered my own questions by researching and use the SEARCH function.
Going to add more weight for anchors or purchase anchors and bump the length of my chain up to 3' on both ends. Running a trotline is a lot more physical then traps and hand lines! I'm kinda sore today, lol!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:07:43 AM by Kenny 2 guns » Logged
crabbyrick

Indian River Blue Gold...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:43:12 AM »

I'll agree it's more physical, but once you get it down you'll be happy with the results. Took us 3 or 4 times to figure out what we did wrong, what we did right, etc. For weight I got a camshaft out of an old CAT diesel egine, torched it in 3 pieces and use 1 piece on each end with 1 to spare. They're heavy, sink in the mud real deep but thin and short so they don't take up much room. 10' line from each weight, 10' line to 2' of 3/8" chain on each end, and "professional" crabber 12" orange floats. Just got the floats this year, prior to that painted empty 5 gallon jugs with the lids slilconed shut. Don't give up, telling ya you will be happy once you get it down. And you'll still learn little things if you talk to other trot liners for years. Good luck

Be safe, keep em' legal & don't raid my pots!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »

I'll agree it's more physical, but once you get it down you'll be happy with the results. Took us 3 or 4 times to figure out what we did wrong, what we did right, etc. For weight I got a camshaft out of an old CAT diesel egine, torched it in 3 pieces and use 1 piece on each end with 1 to spare. They're heavy, sink in the mud real deep but thin and short so they don't take up much room. 10' line from each weight, 10' line to 2' of 3/8" chain on each end, and "professional" crabber 12" orange floats. Just got the floats this year, prior to that painted empty 5 gallon jugs with the lids slilconed shut. Don't give up, telling ya you will be happy once you get it down. And you'll still learn little things if you talk to other trot liners for years. Good luck

This post rings so true. Once you're comfortable and get some experience under your belt. The results will be satisfying.

Now running a trot line in perfect weather conditions is awesome. Wait till you deal with wind, strong currents, chop from other boats, it adds a whole new problem to running a trot line. You may question yourself about just buying the darn crabs, LOL.

ShoreCrabber

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 02:56:28 PM »

Your rotors are probably too light so you could try adding 2-3 feet of heavy chain on your rotors to help hold them down when you pull the line tight and 25' lines probably a little short so when you pull the line tight your dragging the rotors. If the chain on the rotors doesn't fix it try going with 40ft lines. I tried  truck rotors and they were ok but it seemed like they would still slide sometimes and also seem like they would glide in the water when you were in water over 6 ft.
Kenny 2 guns

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »

Gonna try 2 rotors with bolts going through both directions, hopefully this will grab and stay. I won't give up, it's not in my DNA. Here's some pics and thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:07:12 PM by Kenny 2 guns » Logged
shedhunta

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »

Anchor lines 50' up and 50' back down on each side helps.  Can't be too heavy on anchors.  Never used rotors but I would fear they would slide.  Took me years to be comfy with line where I did not make a mistake.  Still do occasionally but trips go much smoother now.  Learned early on not to drag line into deeper water etc.  Got hung up more than once trying that. 
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:54:18 PM »

crabbing is like sex, the more you do it, the better you get at it, the more you get, the more you want
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 10:15:32 PM »

Cinder blocks work perfect and they're free.

With that said, if your dead set on rotors, I have 2 very large rotors off my super duty you can try. Located in middle river.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

Kenny 2 guns

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »

Cinder blocks work perfect and they're free.

With that said, if your dead set on rotors, I have 2 very large rotors off my super duty you can try. Located in middle river.

I just happened to have the 2 rotors laying around as well as the carriage bolts, nuts and washers. A friend dropped off 4 more rotors this evening so thus far my anchors have cost nothing. If the twin rotors with bolts don't work I will certainly look at other options. Thank you for your offer and your suggestion, perhaps it will be my next attempt at anchors if this doesn't work.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 11:55:55 PM »

I tried rotors and they never worked for me, always slid probably cause I usually crab hard bottoms. Good luck, you'll be a pro before you know it. We all started the same place you did.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
First Light

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 03:50:18 AM »

I use fluke style anchor on my first deploy and then 10 lug truck rotor on the other end. It's a bitch pulling them back up and I prefer to only have to do it once instead of twice. MD Crabboys sells and uses 40 lb. ambulance rotors but you better have a cleat to tie off on or your arms will fall off trying to clean them before bringing back on board.
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »

"4 lb traditional danforth anchor" from West Marine... they're $30, actually weigh only 4 lb, and when set properly (with enough scope) can hold my boat with its 18hp at full throttle.
ericm107

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »

I just started using the spade anchors and put a tag line with float on the back of the anchor in case it gets stuck. Definitely easier than yanking up rotors.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

Arrived at the Wye today July 1st around 6:15am with the company of my teenage daughter. Put in my new to me 14' aluminum V hull boat. Gas motor wouldn't start so went to plan B, my electric trolling motor. Setup in the cove directly across from Schnaitman's as I didn't want to travel to far with one battery and the trolling motor. Setup my also new to me 600' trotline with chicken necks, turkey necks and chicken gizzards. On each end I used a broke rotor, 25' of line, 3 1 gallon jugs, 25' of line, 14 links of heavy galvanized chain and of course the trotline. Adjusted the line multiple times and moved once. It seems I was having trouble getting the line straight and keeping it on the bottom. Not 1 crab sighting, very disappointing trip.

I did get the gas motor running after I spoke to Old Willie, a regular down around those parts who suggested I check the vent on the gas cap. Thanks Willie! As I said, I'm new to boat ownership and trotline ownership. Please advise and have a great day!

You really did nothing wrong, your just experiencing learning pains. Most of us beginners went thru it to get where we are with running  trot lines now.  Unless you grew up with it or knew someone who showed you how it works,  It's a trial and error thing.  Hope things are better for you now.
Clouserminnow

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »

I was always told that God makes us spend a lot of time outdoors before He allows us to start getting fruitful. Even if we're doing everything right!

Probably a good reason ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home