October 22, 2018, 04:48:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SICK OF ILLEGAL UNDERSIZED CRABS BEING KEPT!  (Read 1925 times)
luv jerzeeblues
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2017, 01:48:00 AM »

When I'm by the water, I'll often check to see how well people are doing crabbing from shore. I am getting sick and tired of seeing people keeping crabs, that aren't even close to legal size! In the past year, half the people I've talked to, had illegal crabs. The worst part, is when I explain they have crabs that are too small to keep, most people will not throw them back.  If marine police visited any of the popular crabbing spots, especially Mantaloking Bridge, they would be writing multiple tickets EVERY day!
chef

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:01:29 PM »

Drop a dime on them. If they want to abuse the fishery let it hit them in the pocket. It's the only way some people will learn.

In search of the elusive Mirelurk
Crabmst
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »

I used to crab off a pier in Seaside Heights NJ. About every 10 feet of the pier they had stenciled a legal size crab to be used for measuring. People totally ignored it. What really puzzles me is, what do they do with them? What do they get? A teaspoon of meat from 1/2 dozen crabs   
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »

I've seen a bunch of people crabbing from the bridge that I crab on not knowing what the legal size is, how to tell a female from a male, or even how to pick up a crab. I do realize that we get a lot of beach tourists from other states that want to give it a shot but do some research.
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 01:04:41 PM »

Most of people don't know the rules but some do and don't care.

Long time age one of my co worker wanted to go fishing and crabbing with me, he wanted to keep small crabs to make soup but I told him that he can't keep illegal size crabs it is against the law, he wasn't happy with me and he didn't keep any small crabs. The following week he went by himself and kept the small ones when DNR officer came he thought that he doesn't know, so he told him about the rules and all small crabs went back to the water. End of the story? No after the officer left he started to keep the small ones again and the officer was watching, he came home with no crabs but he got Mumbo Ticket $450 when very nice bushel was $60-$70. Just some people have to learn the hard way.

arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 08:35:47 AM »

$450 was being pretty lenient.
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »

$450 was being pretty lenient.
25 years ago 🙂
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 03:39:16 AM »

What is the fine for taking a short? Most people don't know so there is literally zero deterrent value when 'fines' are talked about.

But, if people walked onto a pier and saw a DEC sign stating "$50 Fine for EACH undersized or egg laden crab in your possession" then it sort of sets a very different tone. The people I fault the most over this is the state; it's their duty to advise the public, many of which are simply ignorant, ...or are of the opinion, "oh... how much can they charge you for taking a small crab?" But if educated to the steep fines, then I think behaviors would change. That said, there are always those that simply don't care what the law is, and if they think they could get away with something they will try, regardless of the consequence or harm. The ignorant or uneducated have at least their lack of knowledge as an excuse; but the purposeful violators are literally the worst offenders. They know they're breaking the law and still they thumb their nose at it. These are the miscreants that deserve the whole weight of the law. Further, I think the DEC should keep retrievable records of offenders, such that habitual or repeat offenders be given much heavier punishment, including arrest and jail time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home