May 27, 2018, 03:12:35 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recreational crabbing off a pier handline regulation  (Read 1408 times)
Bulldog

For you mom & dad

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »

Can anyone tell me what the rules and regulations are concerning how many lines someone can have on a pier and how far apart the handlines have to be?

Perhaps this is a silly question but is there anywhere that states you have to share pier space if you got there first? I arrived at a public pier in Maryland at dawn, put about 20 lines out on one side of the pier about 3-4 feet apart. Someone came about 2 hours later and put lines on the other side. Someone else came about 2 hours after that and tried to put there lines in between mine. I told the guy you can't do that as they will get tangled and you have to give 3-4 feet of space between lines. He became belligerent and was like I drove 3 hours from Virginia and you have 1/2 the pier, so you should share!  What? Sorry first come first serve...get up earlier and arrive before dawn to set up to throw out handlines 1/2 hour after sunrise or go to another pier. Another man came 2 hours after that and I had to tell him the same thing. What nerve, right?  So for next time can someone give me some DNR rules so I can print out to show them to avoid confrontation. Thanks.
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:24 PM »

To answer your question about sharing spaces in public piers, the answer is yes because it is for anyone wants to use them.

I have never seen any regulations about space between crabbers on a pier but sharing and common cense should apply (BTW where did you get 3-4 feet rule  Smiley)

Also you can handline 24/7 during the season.
Bulldog

For you mom & dad

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »

I meant sharing, or really not sharing space between lines, not the pier itself of course. I tried to specify the meaning of my question in context. Common sense tells me if you are there first and put lines down at a reasonable space apart then someone shouldn't be allowed to come behind you and put lines in between.

I believe I read if you have traps that they have to be 3-4 feet apart...don't know if the same applies for hand lining, which is what I am trying to find out, however, 3-4 feet is reasonable considering lines get tangled easily by crabs getting on and crossing lines by their pull and/or current, wind, etc.

Where I crab its a rule posted that the park is closed dusk til dawn, so no 24/7. This is perhaps most parks in Maryland.

I appreciate your response.  It would seem that crabbing rules can range county to county as well as State DNR regulations.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »

I don't know of any regulation limiting spacing between hand lines (or fishing rods). Public piers are just that - Public. Trying to monopolize as much space as you can because you arrived early seems a little ignorant. In other words, I think you are wrong. If you can find any regulation to the contrary I'd like to see it.
Bulldog

For you mom & dad

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 01:47:54 AM »

I guess I have to be more specific for some people that think I'm "ignorant". The pier is about 100 feet long. I used about 60 feet on one side, about 20 lines for my son and I. So that is, of course, NOT monopolizing the whole pier. We are 2 hours away and leave at 2-3am, so we can try and be the first down there. Sometimes we are, sometimes we aren't. When we aren't we certainly don't tell people, "Oh we're here now, so you people that got here before us have to adjust your lines, so we can fit them in between and if they get tangled we can sit here and untangle them as it happens". Really?  So if you go crabbing Mikie and put out your lines, is it alright if I or someone else comes along hours later and put lines between yours?  I'm one of the nicest, friendliest guys to know, but there is a common sense courtesy code of first come, first serve and believe in the early bird gets the worm. Most everyone that goes crabbing on the planks, knows you get up early and get down to where you're going to get a spot.

Besides common sense, I'm looking for the law on all of this if there is one, not trying to find something to the contrary. Hoping some veteran crabbers could come on here with some guidance.

tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »

1st sorry for the VA guy, we are not like that. NEVER had your problem in Virginia, there are lots of piers here and the only issue (not real issue/funny) was once I keep getting my lines crossed with spot/crappie fisherman on pier. We split the difference, I gave him a softshell for bait I caught walking the reeds and he snagged a nice crab eating his bait and gave it to me. Few handline off piers here, sometimes you just have to compromise/come up with options/solutions.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »

Bulldog I understand your situation. I crab off a small pier and it gets crowded.  Most of the time when it's full most of the people will go somewhere else. But other times people will just put their lines right next to mine. There is no rule about distance or amount of hand lines. You can have as many as you want. I do not think its fare when I wake up early to crab a spot and people just walk up and put their lines next to mine but there is nothing in the rules saying they can't do that. But if they do I might accidently pull on their line and pull the crab off by mistake. Hoping it comes to one on my lines that are a foot away. Most of the times I will try to give the person some space but I have seen people keep under size crabs so I have no issue giving their lines a little tug.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Topperss

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »

I'm with Indoe on this issue.  I've done the same as him.  Sometimes you have to protect your spot.  I arrive early also and will make room for others.  I won't give them a prime spot they will have room.  Some just don't appreciate it.
double E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 06:33:24 AM »

MAN! I thought us trotliners only had this problem.  laugh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home