October 16, 2018, 10:58:03 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know what these are?  (Read 2596 times)
ramssl

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »

Can anyone tell me what these are and where to get them? I want to replace the hog rings on some of my traps with these but cant find them. I thought it was some kind of open crimp sleeve but cant find them. They are on some older traps I have and work great. Just redoing all my traps and want to improve them some, worst case I will just go with the new hog rings. They might be something just from the company that made the traps, not sure who made them, I bought them about 10 years ago but they still work great. Thanks

Life isn't  like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapeņos.  What you do today, might burn your a$$ tomorrow."
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »

I've done away with hog rings all together. I simply use 4 inch zip ties to secure the doors of my traps.
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »

I've done away with hog rings all together. I simply use 4 inch zip ties to secure the doors of my traps.

Thanks.  I just did one with the 8" zip ties wasn't sure the 4" would work, going to try the 4", they do work just as good as the hog rings and a lot easier to put on.

Life isn't  like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapeņos.  What you do today, might burn your a$$ tomorrow."
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:32:11 PM »

You're welcome.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »

Can anyone tell me what these are and where to get them? I want to replace the hog rings on some of my traps with these but cant find them. I thought it was some kind of open crimp sleeve but cant find them. They are on some older traps I have and work great. Just redoing all my traps and want to improve them some, worst case I will just go with the new hog rings. They might be something just from the company that made the traps, not sure who made them, I bought them about 10 years ago but they still work great. Thanks

I have a roll of 10 inch wide thin aluminum siding that I sometimes cut into small strips and crimp just for that purpose.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »

I have a roll of 10 inch wide thin aluminum siding that I sometimes cut into small strips and crimp just for that purpose.

That's exactly what was on some of the traps I took apart,not sure it was aluminum but I do have aluminum coil I can make them out of.
Thanks for another idea.

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:26:56 AM »

Thanks.  I just did one with the 8" zip ties wasn't sure the 4" would work, going to try the 4", they do work just as good as the hog rings and a lot easier to put on.

The only problem is the zip ties will harden, crack, and fall off sooner than the hog rings. Just remember to have plenty of extras with you at the end of the season. They do work well!!
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »

The only problem is the zip ties will harden, crack, and fall off sooner than the hog rings. Just remember to have plenty of extras with you at the end of the season. They do work well!!

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't sure how long they would last but planned on having some with me just in case. Changing them at the end of the season would be no problem since they are cheap and go on fast. Maybe the 8" ones I started with will last a lot longer then the 4" since they are a lot thicker. I will see at the end of the season which ones did the best.

RavenChief

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »

They are "J" clips.  Usually made from aluminum.  They are typically used for rabbit hutches but also work well for crab traps.  I use them to reattach doors or bait clips to my traps.  Available at most rural hardware stores. You will need to buy a bag of clips and special clip pliers...
The Neighbor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »

Thanks Smiley some great ideas when I have to replace mine

kp1219

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »

Yes, That is a J clamp. A special pliers is used, but I use a wide jaw electrician pliers if you can't find a J clamp pliers

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home