May 27, 2018, 01:34:18 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabs coming out "too wet"  (Read 1934 times)
BaltColt

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:07:55 AM »

I really enjoy steaming my own crabs. I usually get a bushel of mediums and steam about 18-22 at a time. Lately, I've noticed that the crabs are coming out "wet" as if they've been in a sauna and they are sweating.... wanted to run it by experts here to see if I am using too much liquid. Here is my proces: I use a little more than 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of water, a 1/4 can of beer and old bay to start steaming. . Once the pot is steaming, I load/ layer the crabs about 8 at a time along with Jo spice. I then set the timer and find that about the 18 minute mark, the crabs are perfect red orange, now green spots, and ready to go but the shells are incredibly wet and then when I start piping the crabs to eat they seem to retain a lot of liquid.  Any suggestions or critique?

Many thanks in advance.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:24:51 AM »

are you keeping the crabs elevated?

I like juicy crabs

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

More heat!  25 min's after steam coming out from under the lid.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »

What size pot are you using?  Your liquid amount suggests a small pot.  Like other posted, maybe more steaming time or the lid to the pot isn't tight enough?  Maybe your just cooking them if the lid isn't tight enough.
 Guessing you steam 3 times to cook that bushel of crabs? Are you steaming inside or outside?
 There have been times where I burnt(liquids weren't enough or too high of a flame), too much liquid , or overcooked the crabs . Hope you figure it out. Nothing more disappointing then catching or buying crabs, and not have them taste the right way after steaming.
ericm107

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »

I put something on the lid or use butterfly clips to hold the lid tight.

BaltColt

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »

Many thanks, Everyone.... very valuable insight and tips.
im2fast4you33

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »

Like Jack said.  After listening too your method, you need more time.  No matter how many crabs you steam, they take the same amount of time.

When the water is boiling and steam is pouring out of thanks, add crabs and set timer for 25-30 mins.  Perfection every time.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »

I think a lot of times (in my experiences) it depends on how full the crabs were to begin with. My last trip out the crabs were only about 2/3 full coming off a major molt period a week or so prior to me catching them. They too were a little on the juicy side. I don't mind that at all. I usually steam 3 dozen at a time on a stove top and use 2 cans beer, 2 cans water and 1 cup vinegar. When the crabs are jammed packed full they are not so wet using this same amount of liquids. I also have the stove on for 45 minutes total time from first flame  on to flame out. Just my observation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home