February 21, 2018, 02:20:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MD Rec Crabbers - Lookout!  (Read 39532 times)
Black Irish

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »

The MWA is planning on changing the rec regulations to get us "out of their way".

Scroll down to Old Business:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/tidalfish/tidalfishmotions041306.html
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »

Here we go again.  Wink

I now have a list.
DTownCrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »

WTF ??   Huh Huh Huh

Old Business:

Recreational Crab Licenses:

Mrs. Hunt came back to the Commission with information she was asked to provide about the possibility of changing the license fees for Recreational Crabbing Licenses.  She told the Commissioners that the Department could change the nonresident fees, but not significantly.  The Equal Protection Clause  prevents any agency from charging an out-of-state licensee more than the cost of the administrative burden for issuing a nonresident license. In other words, the increase could not be unfair or unreasonable. The Department cannot change the price of the $40 pleasure boat license, which includes a crabbing license, because it is set in law. The decal is the same price for both residents and non-residents. But, the Department can remove the crabbing license as part of the decal by regulation. 

George Luongo, representing the Working Watermen of Anne Arundel County, expressed concern that recreational licenses are growing, but commercial licenses are limited.  He feels that this growing number of recreational crabbers is directly impacting his catch.  Mr. Luongo felt that raising the fee is not a solution; only a cap on the number of recreational licenses will get the desired result.  His association is suggesting a cap on the number of recreational licenses sold.  If a cap is not possible, then they suggest a reduction in the recreational catch gear allowed.  Mr. Luongo proposed that the current allowance of 1200 feet of trot line be reduced to 300 feet.  Commissioner Simns did not think that 300 feet would ever be acceptable to recreational crabbers and suggested a reduction to 600 feet. He and other commercial watermen present felt that no reporting requirement for recreational crabbers is also a problem.  They felt that data is important and the Department should have a harvest information program for recreational crabbers. Recreational catch information is needed for accurate harvest numbers.  Howard King, Director of the Fisheries Service, said there seems to be an allocation problem between the commercial and the recreational crabbers, and if the problem is carefully identified, there may be some solution.  He asked if the time restrictions were working; the watermen all felt that it is not.

Commissioner Larry Simns made a motion that the TFAC set up a work group to explore the possible changes that can be made to the recreational crab licenses and how to go about making the necessary changes.  A suggestion was made to also get other stakeholders (i.e., the South River Association, CBF, etc.) to serve on the workgroup.
Commissioner Andrea Jacquette seconded.
The motion passed unanimously.

Why ask WYE...MUMBO'S BABY!!
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 04:18:59 PM »

Ok it is the same bill that people we were talking about a while back but it must be different now since it is posted so lets argue about it yet again. The licenses are fine but lets take another look at the gear is my opinion. Blast away I'm ready for it.Again

I now have a list.
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »

It really sounds like the commercial guys want to stick it to us (again)!! Why can't they just go out and get their catch and deal with it . Nobody is messing with them so why do they have to keep trying to throw their weight around ? We need to get together and make ourselves heard at these meetings . With no one there to argue their proposals they'll pass every time . There's a whole lot more of us then it is them (as they keep pointingout) , so let's get together and put a stop to all this [bull dung] !! I know you trotliners out there don't want to drop back to 300 - 600 ft. I'll come back to this later , might type something I'll regret ...............

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 10:26:59 PM »

Boys, it is a never endind battle in all fisheries for both sides,you need to make sure that you have representation at the work group meetings,Things do not stay the same for very long. We would all like it to be like it was 50 yrs ago, but its not going to happen, we have to many people that want to be on the water catching somthing and i don't blame them, but there will come a time,now or in the future where as Rec. crabbers you will have to make a choice to cut back somewhereThe Commercial fishery is capped and limited and now they are looking at raising the size, something i would like to see down here,We all know whether you will admit it or not  that the potential for Rec. fishermen #s is unlimited, in Fla Snook has been a Rec only fishery for 49 yrs and they have just about wiped them out through sheer #s. 18 yrs ago we agreed to close Red drum to Comm so the stocks could be rebuilt,last stock assesment showed them to be in worse shape and going downhill,you can only keep one but there are just to many people fishing for them, just my two cents but it seems to me that if you had a choice to cap the Rec. licenses or lose some gear that i would chose the cap, That way nothing will change for you, keep on doing what you have always done, it will only affect new people, try to have the input to make your license transferable, so that at least you could pass them on to your children. I can't tell you what the solution is for to many people, we have 1000 a day moving to Fla  Cry   

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 10:39:12 PM »

I hear ya RD look at the grouper. Talk about totally tying the hands of the longliner and almost forcing them to convert to vertical lines or else loose the surplus to the recs. I think the problem there is going to be that the longliners are not as fast as the bandits and are still going to loose out.

The problem in the bay is there is no quotas I think that there should be a rec reporting system in place and that the rec should have to fill out a log just as we do if they want to keep their license. If they dont want to fill out hte log fine no problem but no commercial gear for you. ALL traps nothing else. Not one person has any Idea how many pounds of crabs are cought every year by the rec and I think that is a problem. Iwould be willing to bet that the amount cought is at least double what is cought commercially and the fact that they dont have anything but a good guess is a problem in my book. They need to find out more information before they jump to conclusions.

I now have a list.
chilly1
Supporting Member

Chilly's got crabs!!! Ask anybody....

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:54:11 PM »

As a recreational crabber, I have to admit that some type of rudimentary reporting mechanism is probably a good idea for the overall health of the fishery. 

Chilly 1   Halethorpe, Md
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 04:59:19 AM »

I wouldn't have a problem with reporting my catch . But that doesn't seem to be what they're wanting to do . All they keep talking about is limiting licenses and gear . They just want to limit the # of recs. out there because they feel we're in their way . We all need to work together on this to come up with a solution suitable for all .

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 06:21:08 AM »

Report? No problem. We can fill out reports about as accurately as the comm's do. Crabologist is right, reporting is NOT the problem in this case. The only problem I see is that the MWA is steering all of the regulations in their favor because there is nobody representing the recs. Pretty soon, we may be reduced to handlines.

Geckert, we have no pots and we are limited to 1200' of trotline and 30 traps. That's not "commercial gear". Maybe the recs wouldn't be "in the way" if the comm's weren't allowed to run unlimited length lines. Maybe the comm's need a daily catch limit. Maybe the comm's need Wednesday's off. Maybe the comm's need to start the same time we have to.

What's really stupid about this is...if we get limited to 300-600', we will be "in the way" all day long instead of one tide change. Not only that, but every trotliner will now be throwing 30 traps out too, just to try to speed things up. Yeah, real smart idea.

Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 06:29:06 AM »

BI I remember about a month or so ago you gave up on posting about this because you couldnt handle the disagreement then you bring it back up. If you get technical all gear was origionally made to be rec gear plain and simple, since there was no licensing when it was first brought into use. I have seen guys crabbing with 1200' and 30 traps that take up more space on a river than the comm would running a 2000' line. You say unlimited but rarely will you see a crabber running more that 2-3k' you can only run a line so fast.

I now have a list.
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 06:41:38 AM »

I didn't give up Geckert, I went underground. No sense in arguing with a comm. Myself and several others have been working on building an organization for the recs. I knew this was coming.
Beth01
Lifetime Member

Bring it on

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 06:53:23 AM »

I didn't give up Geckert, I went underground. No sense in arguing with a comm. Myself and several others have been working on building an organization for the recs. I knew this was coming.
Hey Greg is there a secret handshake and password? Grin

RCA
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 07:05:53 AM »

No one gave up , for some reason it took over six weeks to get the minutes posted from the TFAC meeting that was held in April . Seems awful coincidental that when they're talking about Major changes with Rec. Crabbers , you can't find out what's going on . Pretty frustrating ! It just seems like a lot of back-door dealing going on . Come on Crabbers , Speak Up for yourselves !!

redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 07:33:07 AM »

I don't think you guys will see a big change. They may cut your gear by a fraction, or your start time. To much revenue loss for a cap, it's all gonna come down to money in the end.

Think about it, more recs, less crabs per rec = the same crabs caught, but more money  Wink
You got to think like your greedy as [Sam Hill], to forecast any bill proposed.

Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 07:54:03 AM »

While I agree that 300' of trotline isn't even worth thinking about, I do think we need to do something about start times.  That is, they need to be enforced.  Nothing pisses me off more than seeing somebody starting an hour early.  I'll be playing by the comm rules this year, and if someone's setting gear too early in a spot I wanted, they're going to be finding another spot.

Git 'r dun!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 08:28:01 AM »

Hey Greg is there a secret handshake and password? Grin

Yes. Grin
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 09:29:14 AM »

Maybe you all that frequent the other web sites out there could put the word out to them too . This could end up affecting a lot of people . And I'm sure that most of them don't go on DNR's website and look into these things . Most of us just take what we have for granted until someone changes it and then it's too late ....

Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 09:41:44 AM »

Listen to Slayer's earlier comments.... form an organization and make your voices heard!

Pres - BI
VP - Crabologist
etc, etc

Git 'r dun!
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »

I agree with all you guys!!  Cool

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE