May 24, 2018, 01:44:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MD Rec Crabbers - Lookout!  (Read 40225 times)
dfran

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2007, 07:39:55 PM »

1200 ft not quite 1/2 of 5,280 ft laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

crabman 1, if you seriously want to add your 2 cents in from down in florida and since you know all the recs. in maryland are selling there crabs illegally , then why dont you make a donation to this fine site since you seem to know it all anyway Grin Grin Grin
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »

Crabman1,

if im reading this post right  recreational can have a 1200 ft trotline with a license.........thats almost a half of a mile long.....tell me thats not commercial gear?

1200 feet, in addition to not being a half mile (or even a quarter mile) is NOT commercial gear.  There, you've been told.  Commercial gear is an unlimited trotline and/or hundreds of crabpots. 

As of June 2006 in Maryland, 407 people are allowed to have up to 900 crab pots and unlimited trotlines, 222 are allowed to have up to 600 crab pots and unlimited trotlines, and 237 can have up to 300 crab pots and unlimited trotlines.  There are also 3667 Limited Crab Catcher licenses and 2033 UnlimitedTidal Fish Licenses that allow 50 and 300 crabpots respectively and unlimited trotlines. 

I guess the crabpots that extend out from the mouth of the Magothy for a half mile (not 1200 feet, but a real half mile) and nearly 10 miles from the mouth of the Patapsco to the mouth of the Severn are just letting too many crabs into the Magothy for the evil recreational crabbers to take.

if you guys want to come out there and commercial crab then you should do it.........quit your job and do it  dont fart around .........what youll find out is that its not always good.....you will also know what it feels like to be buried up by rec crabbers out there trying to make a fast buck in thier spare time.........

Getting a license is not that easy, unless someone in your family has one that they are willing to part with and signs it over.  I do know of a few people who have the commercial license, but don't sell crabs.  They just keep it in the family and use it to get an early start on setting gear and keeping more that the evil rec guys can.   The reality is that very few rec's go out every day.  Very few get their 1 bushel per license limit.  I wish I knew where these rec's making the fast bucks are.  I can't seem to find any when I want to buy crabs.

I know that commercials own the water and everything it holds and rec's are just no account thieves stealing what's rightfully yours, but do the math.  Wait, forget the math.  It doesn't seem to be your strong suit.  Do you really think those thousands of crabpots that are catching crabs 24 hours a day are NOT a problem, but a guy like me who has been out once this season with my 1200 foot trotline and caught a whopping 22 crabs is a problem? 

C-mofo

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2007, 12:39:42 AM »

I sure wish y'all would just let this thread die a peaceful death.      I take that back,we need something to liven things up around here at times and this subject sure does that,  Roll Eyes Grin

It can't die yet Ronnie.

It's got almost as many views as Tattoo has posts!   Grin

(Love ya, Tat!)

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2007, 01:12:12 AM »

crabman 1, if you seriously want to add your 2 cents in from down in florida and since you know all the recs. in maryland are selling there crabs illegally , then why dont you make a donation to this fine site since you seem to know it all anyway Grin Grin Grin
That summed it up in a nut shell and look no come back responce. He must scratching up some donation monies Wink

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »

Crabman1,

i think if someone can catch what is over 200 dollars worth of crabs each day recreationally daily should have to report that to the irs

You sure you're not still in MD?  This sounds like something our elected officials in Annapolis would think up to give them some more money to redistribute to their supporters. 

It seems like you think rec's should be treated the same as comm's when it comes tax time.  I actually think this would be good for rec's.  Comm's report the income from their catch, so why shouldn't rec's?  Oh but wait, comm's report the ACTUAL INCOME, not the perceived value.  I would like a show of hands for how many comm's are getting $200 or more for each bushel they sell.  I'm not seeing a lot of hands here.  If you're getting $200 per bushel you might want to invest in some real estate down there.  There's going to be a lot of comm's relocating.

Comm's also get to DEDUCT their expenses from their income.  I think any rec would like the same deal.  Report the income (nothing) and deduct the expenses (fuel, bait, boat rental or depreciation, licenses, insurance, taxes, loan interest, etc.).  For the huge majority of rec's this would result in a net loss of income.  I'm all for it.

C-mofo

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »

My math skills must rank right up there too!  12 posts and your already loved by all on here!
anchor
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2007, 05:44:48 PM »

well mr.know it all since you know how the crabbing is up this way why dont you tell us why one of the moderators from this site got 2 bushels last week on the magothy. and just for you info there ins't a rec on this site that would ever step on a commercial watermans toes on purpose. we have the respect for the commercial waterman since the man is trying to make a living and provide for his wife and or family. you have got alot of balls coming onto this site and making the statements you have said in the past 2 days.now if you wanna play i say game on! if not just leave, seems like you have nothing to do but sit around and bitch anyway Grin
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2007, 05:57:31 PM »

I think if there should be a gripe about who does what, we better look at the total fishery as a whole (both comm and rec) He talks about all the pots tied to piers etc. What about all the pots comm guys lose because of bad ropes, props cutting them, storms etc. Those hundreds and hundreds of pots become ghost pots, that not only catch crabs but fish as well. QUIT FINGER POINTING CRABMAN 1. Let's enjoy the site Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2007, 06:02:15 PM »

what would one person do with all those crabs......but since im keeping tabs thats 80 lbs of crabs going unreported to the dnr
He has a party, if you be nice you might get to be invited. Other than that, he probably does the same as I do,(and others) pick and freeze the meat(if any crabs are left)

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:36 PM »

It's just not the recs, I have run over not only someone elses pot, but my own. Here the pots are so close together(say 5 pots in a 20' radius) so if you have to circle pots vs straight lining them you are sure to snag at least one a week. But then again, it would help if everyone used sink line vs the float top, or add a weight it. Now what would be funny,  you running over your own pot with that chain on there, you'd think again about it after you got the prop bill back. Shocked Sad Cry  Geez why can't everyone get along, we as comms can do equal amounts of damage oursleves so lets not be so hasty and judge the rec guys.

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2007, 06:45:32 PM »

My math skills must rank right up there too!  12 posts and your already loved by all on here!
I don't know Kirby, at least it's something better to read other than whats been going on.  Roll Eyes Grin

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2007, 06:54:24 PM »

I don't know Kirby, at least it's something better to read other than whats been going on.  Roll Eyes Grin
I figured you(RD) would have more to say on this topic. The guy has 14 posts, and working to Pee everyone off. WTG  Grin

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »

I figured you(RD) would have more to say on this topic. The guy has 14 posts, and working to Pee everyone off. WTG  Grin
I'm not mad with him but I need to carry him over to  wwwtidalfish.com  and let him work on the real enemy,the hardcore CCA types, all of y'all are pretty good ole boys.

- John Wayne
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »

I'm not mad with him but I need to carry him over to  wwwtidalfish.com  and let him work on the real enemy,the hardcore CCA types, all of y'all are pretty good ole boys.
Definitly the spot for him(crabman1) to be. They'll rape his butt over there.

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »

Definitly the spot for him(crabman1) to be. They'll rape his butt over there.
I don't know,they ain't that bad over there.just misguided,  Roll Eyes

- John Wayne
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2007, 07:24:50 PM »

Good Luck with that!    laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
anchor
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2007, 09:00:45 PM »

i think that guy runs his mouth to much and his boat to little laugh laugh laugh
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »

It seems my math skills rank up there with your crabbing skills........dont quit your day job(if you have one).......
I would have caught more crabs, but there was a comm in all of the good spots.  I do have a day job and I won't quit.  Most rec's do have jobs, that's why they're not out there taking as many crabs as they can every day like the comm's.

but how did that 22 crab day feel  cause now you get a feel of what its like on a off day.......
Like most rec's I crab when I can, which is not often.  If it's on an off day, so be it.  I still had a good time trying.  That's when I'd like to find those rec's selling their catch you talk about so I can buy some crabs.  No such luck here, they must be travelling to FL to sell them.

male crabs do very little traveling they have done studies.......and they prefer fresher water
Wouldn't that mean that the best crabbing would be in some place like the Susquehanna Flats or the Bohemia River? And there would be no males in the lower Bay.  You know what they say about "studies".  They will prove what whoever paid for the study wants to prove. 

that gives you one up on the potter in the bay  who cant set pots in the river  and he isnt affecting your crabbing one bit
The potter can set his unlimited trotlines wherever he wants in the river earlier than me, so he's not at a disadvantage.  There were more than a few comm's running trotlines with auto-dippers in the Magothy every morning when I leave for work until the recent drop off in the number of crabs. 

what probally is affecting it are the hundreds if not thousand of pots hanging off peoples docks along the river and the runoff from these homes
I agree about the runoff.  The pot on piers I'm not so sure about.  Most of my neighbors who have the pots say they can get a dozen or two in a couple days when the comm's aren't around, but few when they are.  I don't live on the water so this is all anecdotal as far as I am concerned.

the polution is terrible in the magothy they should just call it the magot river........im from rock creek
Being from Rock Creek I'm sure you recognize a polluted body of water when you see one.  Parts of that have been closed to any fishing, crabbing, or swimming for years.

all im saying is those recreational landings should be reported so we can have accurate data to make conservation laws fair for everyone
I agree, but it's something that the DNR doesn't want to do, probably due to the cost of collecting the data and having no way to verify that it's accurate.  Also, if there are no rec statistics, then the legislature can use whatever numbers are supplied by the comm's lobbyists to pass whatever laws they want to pass.  The last time I looked into this, some delegate from Montgomery County (great crabbing there isn't it?) was trying to pass legislation further restricting rec's catch, gear, and days based on the same premises you use.  That being "all those recs are out there catching a bushel of crabs every day of the week (except Wednesdays)".  Anybody with a grip on reality knows that is not the case, but all you need in MD to get a law passed is a well financed lobby in Annapolis and some campaign contributions to the right people.

by the way how many rec licenses are issued......oor is that  what you call a limited crab catcher license
The DNR doesn't have the rec license statistic.  Limited Crab Catcher is a commercial license allowing up to 50 pots and unlimited trotlines and it also allows you to legally sell your catch.

and anyone into statistics like you are about that subject is no doubt a closet coastal conservationist  out to put the commercial guys out of bussiness so you can have it all to yourself
I like to have some facts about things before I respond.  The statistics are available at the MD DNR website to anyone with a computer.  I don't know what a "closet coastal conservationist" is.  I was a comm from 1971 - 1976 as a second job to put my ex-wife through school.  Ended up having to sell everything to settle with her in the divorce.  I don't want to put anyone out of business.  I go out of my way trying to stay away from the comm's and let them do what they want where they want, even if it means I end up in a bad spot and only get 22 crabs.  But on the other hand, I don't believe comm's should be able to take as much as they can then complain about rec's who get a shot at what's left over. 

because after catching 22 crabs with a 1200 ft trotline your going to need the whole bay to catch a bushel
After catching as much as you can with more than a million crabpots and thousands of unlimited trotlines, we'll all need the whole bay to catch a bushel.

C-mofo

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2007, 08:36:29 PM »

Quote from: Black Irish link=topic=8682.msg94842#msg94842   Maybe the comm's need Wednesday's off. Maybe the comm's need to start the same time we have to.

[/quote
Please,  Make me take Wednesday off.  but the law says I have to take either sunday or monday, which I have to declare on my license, and post visibly on my boat.  I'll gladly change.  And the starting time?  I'll gladly start later, then I'll get to sleep later in the morning.  But with your start time, must also come your stop time.  Currently, I have to stop crabbing 7 1/2 hours after sunrise.  I believe you can crab till sunset?  Bring it on.  I'd love it.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home