August 21, 2018, 07:28:59 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small or Large Crab Pots Any Difference in Catch ?  (Read 1129 times)
Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »

I have never crabbed with a pot as most of my crabbing is in Maryland where I run trotlines and use the pull up open top traps.  I recently got a Potomac River Fisheries Rec Crab license and now can set 5 real crab pots in the PRFC water areas on the Potomac where they have jurisdiction.

I bought a small yellow coated crab pot today at Kens on Rt 3 in Va. They had only 1 and a bunch of the bigger normal sized pots so my question.

Do the smaller ones work as well as the large ? 
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »

I have never personally used small pots. I am assuming you are referring to "half Pots" these are commercial pots that are half as tall because they do not have the upper second trap level. I have been told that crabs can find their way out easier after lunch in these half pots. Once they are trapped in the upper level of a 2 level pot it is more difficult for them to find their way out. Bottom line .You may catch less crabs with half pots. Buy a large pot and compare for yourself.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »

I have never personally used small pots. I am assuming you are referring to "half Pots" these are commercial pots that are half as tall because they do not have the upper second trap level. I have been told that crabs can find their way out easier after lunch in these half pots. Once they are trapped in the upper level of a 2 level pot it is more difficult for them to find their way out. Bottom line .You may catch less crabs with half pots. Buy a large pot and compare for yourself.
If the half pots worked as well as the pot with a pallor everyone would be using them cause they would be half the price (or less) to build.  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 12:37:54 AM »

Yes I did not notice they did not have the upper chamber , another exit they need to find. Also did not know they were called "Half Pots"  I'll give 2 a try and use my trotline as always, Thanks For the Info.

On The Potomac I can throw 2 in Va Waters with no license and 2 In the PRFC waters with a license and None above the PRFC line up Maryland Tributaries.  5-6 crabs will do me fine on fishing and riding days , thats 2 Crab Cakes or a Treat!! Or a Welcome Extra to a Low Country Boil!  It makes sense that if there half size, smaller to store and pull up, and cheaper the commercials would use nothing but them!
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 06:30:26 AM »

I have used the half trap and as others have said it did not work as well as the full trap.  If you are just  soaking them while running your lines they may work for you.

Good Luck

The Neighbor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »

I have 1 of each now. Pay the money for the full!! I had no luck with my half at all Thought some1 was messing with it . The full is working well.  I have a half for sale WORKS GREAT!!! Any offers ? laugh laugh laugh I bent the openings closer did work a little better but would still buy a full and was told by 1 bait shop to not buy the half. At the time I didn't have the boat or place to put a full ( boat slip) so tried it out . Live and learn
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »

I have 1 of each now. Pay the money for the full!! I had no luck with my half at all Thought some1 was messing with it . The full is working well.  I have a half for sale WORKS GREAT!!! Any offers ? laugh laugh laugh I bent the openings closer did work a little better but would still buy a full and was told by 1 bait shop to not buy the half. At the time I didn't have the boat or place to put a full ( boat slip) so tried it out . Live and learn
Bend the bottoms of the funnels up a bit so the crab can still get in but so the bottom of the funnel is off the bottom  by putting 4 fingers in the bottom of the funnel and slightly pulling back to raise it up and off the bottom as high as you can but still leave enough room for a crab to fit through the funnel. When a crab tries to exit the trap it is harder if the bottom of the funnel is elevated off the bottom where they are crawling  around on the bottom of the pot trying to figure a way out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home