August 20, 2018, 06:24:52 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NJ Rec. Crab Pot Permit for 13 Year Old?????  (Read 1144 times)
215crabber

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »

Fellow Forumites:

First, I'm a resident of PA and not familiar with all of the rules of crabbing in NJ.  I have been reading the posts about the trotlines rules and regulations (very informative, BTW - thank you) and know that you need a $2.00 permit per person to use two crab pots or two 150' trotlines.   I understand that if two people in one boat each with the Rec. Crab Pot permit, can run two 150' trot lines each as long as they are not connected.

Are you allowed one bushel of crabs for each permit holder or is it one bushel of crabs per day per boat?

THe question I have is this:  My son is 13 and crabs with us.  Can he purchase a Rec. Crab Pot Permit?  If so, woud we be permitted to use six SEPERATE trotlines, or does he not count?  

I have reviewed the NJ website for licensing, and it says children under 16 do not need a fishing license.  I'm just trying to understand the rules.  ANy help you cn provide would be most appreciated!

V/r,

Paul
AKA 215Crabber
Zee Man

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 10:23:49 PM »

Your son does need a recreational crab pot license which will allow you to bring 2 more pots on the boat. If you have 4 people on your boat you can keep 1 bushel per person= 4 bushels. Hope this helps. I crab with a 4 man crew, 2 adults and 2 kids. We all have our Recreational crabbing license which allows us to use 8 pots each trip but honestly we only bring 2-3 when we do decide to use them. The kids love pulling the pots at the end of the day. I hope this helps.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »

Are you trying to use your son to get more pots in the water?   These are Pots, large sometimes called MD or Chesapeake Traps 3'x3'x3'?  Not box or pyramid nets or collapsible rings?   The traps (NOT pots) have no license in or out of state crabbers.  A fishing license is a whole other animal and irrelevant.

And as was pointed out, the limit is a bushel per person on the boat no matter how they are caught or where you're from.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:00:50 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
olclamman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »

215  paul  
                  call nacote creek  for the nj regs   being that you are a nonresident the license fee might be different than a resident

609 748 2040    they can give you the right info

i love swimmin with bow legged wemen !!
pttsbrghfan
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »

If you were to use trotlines or pots, I believe he would need a crabpot/trotlines license. The fishing license is only for freshwater that has age limits.

Banned from Patcong Creek.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home