February 20, 2018, 02:33:25 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galvanized or Vinyl Coated Topless Traps  (Read 558 times)
ThreeCrabs

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »

Which do you feel are better? At first glance, I would think that the Vinyl Coated would have a few more benefits but want to get your take before I purchase ten new traps. Thank you guys.
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »

galvanized
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »

There are pros and cons to these. Galvanized wire will take longer to moss up. A vinyl pot will look like a duck blind before a galvanized pot even after anti fowling painting. The anti fowling paint doesn't stick as well to the smooth vinyl coated wire as it does to galvanized. I liked vinyl pots better because they didn't rust as fast like galvanized because of the vinyl covering.. The only places they would rust up was on the bait cage because the crabs would claw off the vinyl trying to get to the bait or if the vinyl was pinched leaving the galvanized exposed to electrolysis . One way to remedy that was to use an empty butter container with holes dilled in it as an added bait container inside the cage. We also concluded that crabs were attracted to the scent of the bait and couldn't get the bait out of the containers from the drilled holes. Therefore you don't need as much bait. The vinyl pots were smoother and you had less chance of getting scratched which can be dangerous in high temperature water with high bacteria . I preferred the vinyl pots.
bassman349
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »

Which do you feel are better? At first glance, I would think that the Vinyl Coated would have a few more benefits but want to get your take before I purchase ten new traps. Thank you guys.

One reply to your post is talking about crab pots that spend a lot of time in the water.

I use both vinyl and galvanized and like them both,  and one seems to catch as well as the other, although it seems the vinyl didn't catch too well until they were seasoned for about a year, but then again it might be my imagination on that one.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »

I like my vinyl coated topless traps. I had some plain galvanized traps that I gave away after buying the vinyl ones. Just my personal preference.

ThreeCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »

Thank you all! I am going to order 10 today and I think I am going to go Vinyl Coated.
Mag
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:44:23 PM »

I run 15 of each and can't tell the difference. They both catch well. Go with either. You'll be happy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home