June 29, 2022, 08:29:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recreational Crab Pots  (Read 5428 times)
ericl11

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »

Went out yesterday, 5/26/06, with my son and caught 40+ and left with 20 keepers.  Convinced my wife to help pick them an it was probabbly the first time in a while that we had the opportunity to sit together and talk.  Got a nice amount of meat and will be preparing some crab cakes for the holiday weekend.

My question is, what would you recommend for recreational crab pots to leave unattended for a few hours at a time.  I've been using the hoop/ring type nets off my boat but it limits me to the type of activities I'd like to do at the same time.  I'm in South carolina so I'll go read up on the regulations.  How about othe equipment: gloves, calipers,  tongs ..etc.  I'd like to improve the total experience and since my very young daughters are not too interested in crabbing and fishing at this time, but they love being on the boat, when I go fishing and crabbing they stay home.  I'd love to be able to do some recreational boating and pick up a few crabs for dinner at the same time.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 10:15:33 AM »

Went out yesterday, 5/26/06, with my son and caught 40+ and left with 20 keepers.  Convinced my wife to help pick them an it was probabbly the first time in a while that we had the opportunity to sit together and talk.  Got a nice amount of meat and will be preparing some crab cakes for the holiday weekend.

My question is, what would you recommend for recreational crab pots to leave unattended for a few hours at a time.  I've been using the hoop/ring type nets off my boat but it limits me to the type of activities I'd like to do at the same time.  I'm in South carolina so I'll go read up on the regulations.  How about othe equipment: gloves, calipers,  tongs ..etc.  I'd like to improve the total experience and since my very young daughters are not too interested in crabbing and fishing at this time, but they love being on the boat, when I go fishing and crabbing they stay home.  I'd love to be able to do some recreational boating and pick up a few crabs for dinner at the same time.
Hey E...as far as leaving your pots unattended....how much boat traffic would there be where you go?...most people are decent...but there are some who would pirate your pots when left unattended....use to have Rec Pots in NJ...had to run a line from the shore out into the water so I didnt have to use a buoy...the line was well hidden due to the fact that some unscrupulous @ssholes would constantly raid them.....

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
ericl11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »

They won't be unattended very long and definitely not overnight.  It's a 1.5hour trip for me and I leave with everything I came with (hopefully a little extra).  As far as someone taking them or raiding them I guess I'll have to take that chance since I'll be off fishing or boating somewhere else, usually not too far from the area I like to crab in.  I see some commercial activity and some recreational stuff, but never seen or heard of a problem yet in the area I frequent.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »

They won't be unattended very long and definitely not overnight.  It's a 1.5hour trip for me and I leave with everything I came with (hopefully a little extra).  As far as someone taking them or raiding them I guess I'll have to take that chance since I'll be off fishing or boating somewhere else, usually not too far from the area I like to crab in.  I see some commercial activity and some recreational stuff, but never seen or heard of a problem yet in the area I frequent.
Then if you feel as if your pots will be left alone....then bait them with either chicken or bunker(Menhaden)...let em sit for 4-5 hrs..you should see some blueclaws..good luck..Rick  Smiley..Kingcrabber

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 12:21:31 AM »

Hey E...as far as leaving your pots unattended....how much boat traffic would there be where you go?...most people are decent...but there are some who would pirate your pots when left unattended....use to have Rec Pots in NJ...had to run a line from the shore out into the water so I didnt have to use a buoy...the line was well hidden due to the fact that some unscrupulous @ssholes would constantly raid them.....
You have to keep your eye on those NJ crabbers at all times  Wink Roll Eyes

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »

You have to keep your eye on those NJ crabbers at all times  Wink Roll Eyes
Especially when they are not crabbing in Jersey. laugh laugh

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
jford

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:06:34 PM »

We crab in the Edisto and B'fort areas. I don't put my 2 pots near the commercial pots. I don't think they like that. In places I know hold crabs I have found an empty pot after a crabber went by. They were set next to a commercial set. Keep them out from busy boat traffic too.

We go out usually for 1/2 - 3/4 day trips to fish and shrimp and usually put out the pots on the way out. We pick them up on the way back. I have not yet had anyone take my pots - but have once or twice got one pot with 30+ and the other empty??  Angry Go figure. Only one I ever lost was swept away on front beach by tide in a t-storm. Found it later but, was hung on bottom. I am hardly ever in sight of the pots. People are still pretty good around here about that.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »

Gotta watch them boys from Beaufort too and not only the Jerzie boys. You guys do use heavey weights(irons and zincs) on your pots dont you? You all got one heck of a tide change and when it runs hard it takes everything with it. Sad Keep your eyes open. Shocked

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home