August 14, 2018, 04:35:21 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth Trotline with clam bags  (Read 2615 times)
Captain13

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »

I wanted to see if anyone is using one of these.

I have be using a 600 foot 1/4" Medium lay "Stealth" line with 3/16 snoods made by Capt. Bruce and I also use a 1/4 "soft lay" (white line) with 1/8" snoods made by Capt. Bruce. I am using clam bags with clams and I have noticed that the white line out catches the stealth line by quite a bit. I am using this setup in one continuous lay just to see if there is any difference. I can say with confidence that there is a big difference. I have laid the line in all direction/depth and it doesn't seem to matter. Huh Huh Huh

I will say that I do like the larger snubs on the stealth line.

Anyone else notice a difference?

My wife said to me - you " S-o-B, your half drunk again!" I said its not my fault, I ran out of money.
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »

is there an age difference between the 2 lines
First Light

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »

I know a crabber who swore it was the opposite,the black bags,line combo was outperforming the orange,white line combo and was wondering the same. Sounded like a lot of nonsense to me to begin with but some guys strain at a gnat to get an "advantage" over everybody else. I know more guys that tie necks to their lines an never gone hungry yet.
Captain13

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »

Yes there is a age difference between the two lines- the White is @4 years old the stealth is this years. I am still using orange bags on both lines, I did not go total stealth, afraid I might loose it Grin Grin

My wife said to me - you " S-o-B, your half drunk again!" I said its not my fault, I ran out of money.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »

That's awesome, never heard that before.

" but some guys strain at a gnat to get an "advantage" over everybody else."

What's the price different for this stealth line?

Captain13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »

I caught it on sale at CB after a show he was at so it was about the same as the regular trotline. I think it was around $130 for 600 ft.

partime59

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »

that new line might be giving off a scent from a manufacturing process, soak it in salt water for couple days
Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »

that new line might be giving off a scent from a manufacturing process, soak it in salt water for couple days
I doubt it could be that. I ran a brand new line this year and had no problems catching first time out. Never know though about the "stealth line."

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
First Light

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »

Capt Bruces' price wasn't "stealth",' he wanted $350 for "stealth" line 1200 ft. #8 sinking line.
Now if he named it " Magic Unicorn line"  I'd get on board.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 07:10:45 AM »

Are you kidding really a black trotline?Huh I have a hard enough time seeing my stained white line while running down the line and the older you get the harder it is to see it, even with the orange bags i couldn't use it. laugh

partime59

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »

yeeh, black spray paint takes awhile to cure
CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »

Alright, Alright, I admit it - I went ahead and bought the snake oil from Capt Bruce too!  I had a 600' white line and wanted to have another line for crabbing in other nearby places - thinking I would find more crabs quicker and be able to cull through more for the better quality/size.  I saw the advertisement for the stealth line at a nominal difference and decided to bite.

Well, I'm sure there are a lot of factors but I'm not catching more crabs quicker this year.  I spend more time baiting and de-baiting and for all its worth, I'm probably catching the same amount of keeper crabs at the end of 4 hours. That could be simply because this year is not as good as last.  Of course, I could potentially be doing far worse with only 600'.

As for the stealth line - no difference.  It is harder to see but you can see the crabs coming up more easily.  The problem is the snoods - the valve stopper is too wide and does not snug up real tight against the bait (I use necks) - unless I really crank it on, I wind up losing half the baits after a few hours.  That would be a real problem if I was using bags.

CocoCrab
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »

your going to have to change them snubbers, go to napa get some 5/16 fuel line. dont waste your time with losing baits
SaltyMountainMan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »

Just throwing this out there. Since the lines are different, one may be more elastic then the other, so one may be floating off the bottom. Maybe try running them near one another or even in line , but with each one being independent with separate floats and anchors. Huh
SaltyMountainMan

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »

Funny, I typed three ? marks and a frown appeared. Good luck.

CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 08:41:11 PM »

your going to have to change them snubbers, go to napa get some 5/16 fuel line. dont waste your time with losing baits

I agree with you -its a frustration and a waste of time and effort.  Time to get some new fuel line!

Thanks

CocoCrab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home