October 15, 2018, 03:40:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help for beginners  (Read 2744 times)
Captain13

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »

I had a thought after reading some posts on here. Some people are more than willing to share knowledge about crabbing others are not. My idea is for everyone to give just one piece of knowledge they have learned to help a newbie get started. I see a lot of people asking for information on here all the time. Maybe a moderator could compile all the information into one document that they could go to and read to gain knowledge. I know a lot of people will say this will cause more people to crab or they will take my spot but we have all learned from someone or by trial and error.
As an example: It could be " the 5 gallon bucket over the opposite side to slow your boat down" trick if you don't want to give to much info out.

What are your thoughts on it?  Good or Bad??

My contribution is: When you get to where you are going to crab and see a boat already set out before you, stop your boat and watch them run theirs first so you don't set out too close or worse set over them. This will only make enemies.

Lets keep it positive- none of the "stay away from my equipment" as a contribution.

Next.....

My wife said to me - you " S-o-B, your half drunk again!" I said its not my fault, I ran out of money.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 02:57:35 PM »

Go to the MD DNR website and read what the regulations are concerning crabbing in MD. If still interested, get the appropriate crab license.  Step 1
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »

if you run a trotline; after sun up run your line so that you or the boat does not cast a shadow onto your line and the crabs coming up ,it can make a big differance.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »

The higher the sun the deeper the line should come up to prevent crabs from dropping off.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:10:28 PM »

dont fight the wind, go with it

Big Rad

Chase Happiness because life is short

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 05:57:01 PM »

Invest in a depth finder.  It can help you find the "right" depth to find crab and can also help you locate bottom features that make natural funnels to put crabs in your basket

I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »

There are no crabs in VA.      Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »

if you run a trotline; after sun up run your line so that you or the boat does not cast a shadow onto your line and the crabs coming up ,it can make a big differance.

Two schools of thought on that, the other being that the crabs are coming up facing you, and if the Sun is at your back, it is a glaring red hot orb shining into the lidless eyestalks of the crab, getting brighter as they near the surface. I can wear sunglasses, the crabs cant. Smiley

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 01:27:43 PM »

The higher the sun the deeper the line should come up to prevent crabs from dropping off.

Meaning...  lower your prop stick so it's closer to the water? 

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »

Two schools of thought on that, the other being that the crabs are coming up facing you, and if the Sun is at your back, it is a glaring red hot orb shining into the lidless eyestalks of the crab, getting brighter as they near the surface. I can wear sunglasses, the crabs cant. Smiley

Interesting take.  I've only heard of the opposite but with a high sun this sorta makes sense.

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »

Meaning...  lower your prop stick so it's closer to the water? 

slacken your line.  I always have my prop stick just touching the water but I crab alone and I want my line breaking the water right where I'm standing/steering

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »

Thank you Crabbyd

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »

Thank you Crabbyd

welcome.

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 07:35:48 AM »

Crab Cruncher. your over thinking the whole thing, i've watched crabs take off as soon as the shadow touches them, they think it's a preditor and flee.
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 03:55:35 PM »

yep, the shadow will spookem even when with their back turned

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »

There is no better way for beginners  to learn then getting out there and crab. . Some ideas should work and some may not. Many became good crabbers by using common sense and actually crabbing. It's a learning process. Some are quick learners. Different ways to handle weather conditions, sun conditions, type of bait and what type of boat you use.  Just to name a few.

Reading a forum with ideas is okay, but those ideas only will work when put to use on the water crabbing.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »

Crab Cruncher. your over thinking the whole thing, i've watched crabs take off as soon as the shadow touches them, they think it's a preditor and flee.

Try running your line both directions, without causing your boat to cast a shadow either way, than get back to me.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
First Light

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »

Lay a line with snoods,I believe I've had fewer drop offs as most of the time they are hanging on the bait and not the main line. Tying on is OK if you like ,but try snoods of different length and compare. I like an eight inch drop once tied to the line, the crabs don't get yanked off the bottom with a snood they get dragged up more gently.
kp1219

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »

Sorry Captain13 I don't want to jack your post but I want to learn something also. What is a snood and how is it made. I'm from south Louisiana and I have never heard of that word before. We must call it something else. Thanks
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »

Sorry Captain13 I don't want to jack your post but I want to learn something also. What is a snood and how is it made. I'm from south Louisiana and I have never heard of that word before. We must call it something else. Thanks
Here ya go.

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home