June 23, 2018, 06:25:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comm ?  (Read 1267 times)
Logan57
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »

Just wondering,, Is a commercial license a crab only or is it good for fish too?
reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 06:12:31 AM »

Just wondering,, Is a commercial license a crab only or is it good for fish too?

It's only good for what it says on the license.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:48:13 AM »

Just to be clear a comm. crab lic or any tidel fish lic or TFL is only good for comm harvest of what the lic says . With that being said any TFL comm lic. holder may rec crab or rec. fish  without having to buy a rec crab  or rec fish lic.  but must follow all rec. fish and crab laws when the y do this. Also no fed reg. # in needed for the tfl holders to rec fish.
Logan57
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »

Thanks. Just trying to figure out what yall comms have to do to survive the winter. Out of curiosity. Thanks.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »

There aren't really that many full time commercial watermen anymore. Those that are primarily go oystering or striped bass fishing. In the recent past the oystering would only hold up for the first part of the season. Striped bass season for gill nets is for Dec, Jan & Feb IF you have an allocation. Both of those require additional fees and surcharges on top of the normal license fees. Many held back up jobs during the Winter months ( house painting, carpenter, hunting guide, one guy I know drives a fuel oil delivery truck every Winter), whatever works for them.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 07:59:05 AM »

Thanks. Just trying to figure out what yall comms have to do to survive the winter. Out of curiosity. Thanks.
I know some commercial crabbers that do well enough that they don't fish or oyster during the winter months. The crab money lasts them until next crabbing season. It depends how you manage your money .Every thing they own is paid for. House, truck, boat etc. and they usually pay cash for what they need. You need a 900 pot license to do it and know how to follow the crabs.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »

And the best way to make a million dollars crabbing is to start with 2 million. laugh Grin
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »

The crabbers I know caught between 10-20 bushels a day in 2017 . More than half #1s and crabbed within sight of where you crab from the end of April until late November.. They crabbed around 320 pots a day alternating pots each day. They crabbed 4-5- and sometimes 6 days a week. These guys have been commercial crabbing and fishing since they were children with their fathers .They've been at it more that 50 years and some more than 60 years. At least 2 commercial crabbers I know are close to 80 and still crabbing. Some watermen made obscene amounts of money fishing in the winter. Unfortunately some thought the good times would never end and blew most of it when they should have invested some of it for retirement . The ones that wisely invested some can kick back now. I agree with you about needing 2 mil. to have 1 mil. left "Troutling" . Too many things can go against you but some years it's good.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:44:41 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »

Crabbing and fishing is my retirement plan.   Instead of retiring and enjoying my last few years on earth, I plan to work my arse off on the water full time until I die. 

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home