February 17, 2018, 04:27:50 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Make Crab Snoods for Trotline Crabbing  (Read 723 times)
jake phelps

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »

BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:32:42 AM »

I use a third knot to keep the bungee from pulling through the hose.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »

I use a third knot to keep the bungee from pulling through the hose.

I second that. Spend a lot of Tim replacing snubbers if you don't. I use 4 knots in mine actually to make a tail to grab on to

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:05:18 AM »

I second that. Spend a lot of Tim replacing snubbers if you don't. I use 4 knots in mine actually to make a tail to grab on to

I do the same.  4 knots may be time consuming while making them but time saving after that

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
bassman349
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »

I use a crochet hook tool to pull the bungee through the snubber.

shedhunta

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

Thx for sharing.  I am a 4 knot guy with 3/16" and 1/4" hose and crochet hook.  I can tie em in my sleep now.  Do it over winter while watching tv
Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:03:20 AM »

Take a piece of 14 ga copper wire.  Attach one end to a small piece of pipe or dowel rod as a handle.  at about 6", make a tight bend into a J.  You can thread on about 10 snubbers.  Then insert the J through your snubber, hook the bungee, and pull .  You'll have 6 done this way before you get one done using pliers.

Git 'r dun!
Seaweed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »

the other thing you can do when attaching snoods to the main line is insert 1 end through 2 strands of the mainline, and simply tie a figure-8 knot with he snood.  Pull it tight. done.  no hog ringing, and it makes a nice neat joint to the main line.

Git 'r dun!
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »

to save some blisters i cut 2 pcs pvc 1 inch pipe about 4-5 inches long and cut slits in them that are tight for 3/16 bungee. i use these to tighten the knots, it makes them tight fast with out the wear and tear on the fingers. I use 2 so i can tie a loose knot in each end and pull both tight at same time, don't know how it would work forthe multiple knots but worth a try. also i use a pc of thin stainless rod and bent a narrow hook in 1 end and made it L shaped on other end to pull with for putting snubbers on, it will hold 6 snubbers on the shaft.
Seaweed

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »

That's a good idea rdbeard.  I mount 2 pieces of angle iron to the edge of my workbench, with about an 1/8" gap between the two pieces.  Loosely tie your knot in the 3/16" bungee, put it in the gap between the 2 steel pieces, and pull.  It will cinch the knot tight and saves the skin on your fingers.  I figured this out after wearing out a second pair of gloves that I wrapped with tape.  Grin Grin

Git 'r dun!

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »

I use the pvc pipe because i can sit in my livingroom over the winter and make my snoods, of course i cut and sear in the garage but in the house for most of the time
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »

i use a large cresent wrench mounted in a vise to get the gap seeweedr use angle for,,, and steel ty wire used for rebar doubled over at 6", pull bungee thru snubber with vice grips,, seems making the snubbers a hair longer makes last alot longer 1/2"-5/8"
Seaweed

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »

i use a large cresent wrench mounted in a vise to get the gap seeweedr use angle for,,, and steel ty wire used for rebar doubled over at 6", pull bungee thru snubber with vice grips,, seems making the snubbers a hair longer makes last alot longer 1/2"-5/8"

Yeah it's a trade off with the snubber length.  Longer ones hold the bait better, but are harder to loosen up.  I've found 5/16" fuel hose from Advance Auto cut no more than 1/2", maybe 3/8", coupled with Mike Keller's 3/16" bungee is the perfect combination.  That bungee is far superior to the regular stuff with a white jacket with black flecks.  I've bought miles of bungee, and even in the same order, some will be a little thicker than 3/16, and some will be a little thinner.  Buy 10 rolls of bungee, and you'll get 8 slightly different thicknesses.  It all works, but you have to play with the combinations a little bit.

Git 'r dun!
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »

I actually use 4 knots also. I forgot about the one on the tail.
jake phelps

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »

thought of this the other day... that pull thru sucks n the knots get all little n stuck inside...ewww, a plastic washer on the tail end ... heck... we'll even put helium in it for some boyency to get the smell floating around n give it some movement... [i really gotta start keeping this stuff to my self] but yeah.. remember those shoes with the helium pockets... ah, the 90's lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home